TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
OK, I've seen the photos. The Wife is not convinced, but we are watching videos.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'll add features I discover as we go along here. These are things the other brands may or may not have, but when deciding on an ebike, getting the most bang for your buck is the essence of good shopping.
In this photo, you are looking at the front crank sprocket. Notice it is bracketed with protection plates to prevent derailing or getting pant cuff caught in the chain/sprocket union. Other bikes may have the outer one, but I think only the Aventon Aventure has them both inboard and outboard.
This is a photo of my wife's step-through frame bike. Check out those welds! Perfect. These bikes impress the hell out of me!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Cool. I find it interesting they talk about a hunting bike. I don't think a deer would fit on that to be carried out of the woods. Now, you could sneak up on a deer and shoot it with your pistol so it will help you hunt.
put a trailer behind it.... it's a hardtail so it should be good for the hub and rim loading, no rear suspension to worry about

·
Registered
907 Posts
put a trailer behind it.... it's a hardtail so it should be good for the hub and rim loading, no rear suspension to worry about
I'm pretty sure Rambo also sells an off road hunting trailer for it.
E bikes are getting big with hunters because of all of the roads that the forest service is closing to to motorized vehicles, unfortunately the Government is noticing and supposedly considering banning e bikes for hunting. Same thing happened when drones were becoming reasonably priced and user friendly. Hunters started using them for scouting game and a few years later, Fish and Wildlife banned them.
But, if they ban their use for hunting, they will likely start more closely regulating e bikes in general, in the streets and in the woods. I can see California requiring a license plate or some associated fee to use them on public streets or lands in the future.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Ski, when I saw this I thought of your front wheel conversion idea.... it is all there including the front wheel controller. or just buy the bike. If it was full suspension I would be interested. I currently ride a Specialized Levo full suspension mountain bike. handles much like a normal bike with peddle assist only. at 70 years young, it really made cycling fun again.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yukon Yamaha here in Whitehorse distributes them.... not sure how available the Megatron.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a pair of Aventon Aventure bikes.
Saw every youtube video out there on them, especially those that compared the Himiway and the Rad. Every single shoot-out the Aventure won. All the videos gave the pros and cons. Lots of independent reviews and testing. Bottom line, it's just a much more refined product with upgrades on just about every aspect. Stuff like hydraulic 180mm disc brakes instead of cable disc. Motors that have higher peaking amps, battery capacity, yada, yada, yada. If someone is seriously interested, I'll happily discuss.
These things sell like hot cakes. I wanted to wait on the camo green version, but it would have been 4 weeks and I am not a patient man. So I went with the Socal Sand version. Another name for tan in my book. Check out their website and look into these things. Tons of fun. Runs either with pedal assist with 5 levels of assist with top speed about 33mph or on throttle only at a limiter speed of 20mph. You can literally just hit the throttle and go, never pedaling at all if you like, or set for zero on the pedal assist and do all the work. Level 1 takes you to 10mph and level 5 tops out at 33 when you pedal your ass off. 8 speed derailer on the rear gets you to a pedal cadence you can be comfortable with. Awesome display and an app for the smart phone to unlock stuff with the controller as well as create a GPS dashboard showing all the info you would need as well as log the route and particulars of the ride. I got one with the standard swing-your-leg-over frame and one with the step-through frame for my wife. Several facebook groups to sign up with to see what owners think and talk about as well as photos and videos.

Electric Bike, Ebikes, Fixed-Gear Bikes | Aventon Bikes

This is an independent review of the bikes I got. The video is long at over 20 minutes but very informative;
(24) Aventon Aventure Review | Fat Tire E-Bike (2021) - YouTube

This is one of the many shoot-out videos. Over 45 minutes so it is through.
(24) RadRover 5 vs Himiway Cruiser vs Aventon Aventure | Battle of the Fat Tire E-Bikes (2021) - YouTube

I forgot to add; price is $1,900 stock. Add $70 for rear rack, $40 for front and what ever sales tax your local state charges. NOT cheap, but then ebikes simply are not cheap. This is considered an entry level for the mountain bike style. Prices can easily exceed $5,000. The sub-$2K price range was my target when I started my search. I put a lot into researching and this is the bike I ended up with. Neither of the other two came close to meeting my list of requirements. It is a beaut.
I just bought the Rad City step through for my wife. The three brands that you looked at were the same ones on my list. I went Rad for a couple of minor reasons - we rented one while on vacation and my wife liked it. She liked the right hand twist throttle versus the left hand. Rad sounds like they have a good, established support organization if we need it. That being said, I am a fan of the Aventon bikes from what I have seen. If I get to the point of getting an ebike for myself, it will probably be the Aventon. I did see a Himiway at my bike shop on Sunday and it was a nice looking bike too. Keep us posted on your impressions.

As an aside, have you seen the Yamaha e-bikes? The crank set motor looks familiar - like our T-Tub's !!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just bought the Rad City step through for my wife. The three brands that you looked at were the same ones on my list. I went Rad for a couple of minor reasons - we rented one while on vacation and my wife liked it. She liked the right hand twist throttle versus the left hand. Rad sounds like they have a good, established support organization if we need it. That being said, I am a fan of the Aventon bikes from what I have seen. If I get to the point of getting an ebike for myself, it will probably be the Aventon. I did see a Himiway at my bike shop on Sunday and it was a nice looking bike too. Keep us posted on your impressions.

As an aside, have you seen the Yamaha e-bikes? The crank set motor looks familiar - like our T-Tub's !!
Happy wife, happy life! Way to go! Glad to hear she is into them. Nothing wrong with any of the 'Big 3'. It is mostly a matter of preference and, if I am to be honest, the one that gets to me first while in the window of actual buying mode.

Thanks for the link to the Yamaha ebikes. You are darn tootin' it looks like a TW motor planted in there. Ha! But that level of performance is beyond my skill set.

·
Registered
2021 and 2019 TW
41 Posts
I like your idea. I had hoped to dabble with a hub motor conversion on an old mountain bike, but where did the summer go…

What kind of ebike did you purchase and how do you like them?

—matt
We bought 2 Ride1Up electric bikes. They are mail order only and have good customer support. They have been excellent so far. My wife and I are in our mid sixths and ride 25 miles in a day on a regular basis. Get one!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts