TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I trailered the TW for an overnighter. It killed me that I couldn't ride the TW over the Pass because my wife was afraid to drive the steep mountain road with the trailer:( Once we made the other side and had lunch in Mammoth Lakes it was TW time:D

Once out in Mono County the roads just go everywhere. There is an awesome mix of pavement and dirt that are ripe for exploration. I did about 30 miles on Friday and 50 miles on Saturday.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tioga pass, Sonora pass, Ebbetts pass, Echo pass was a ride I took many, many times as a young man on my now vintage Honda cb750. I could spend a whole week just crisscrossing the Sierra's. With the T-Dub I could have just stayed up there exploring dirt roads. Brings back a lot of fond memories looking at your photos.
The day after I received a Learners Permit when I was 15, I took off for a 500+mile trip on a Honda Twinstar. I went over Tioga Pass and down to Bishop and out into Nevada etc. I couldn't stop twisting the throttle until darkness fell and I flopped on a cheap sleeping bag under a park bench. Gosh I miss being 15!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The biggest problem I had with the TW was going over 50 MPH. There was enough vibration to numb my hands. After about 10 minutes I had to stop and shake them back to life.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the weighted bar ends on my DR650. I went to a Pro Taper Fat bar and the bar ends are for a 7/8 bar. Could I put them on the TW?

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Good adventure Passman, glad someone was exploring Sierras this weekend. I heard Tioga Pass into Yosemite just opened, having been plowed a month earlier than usual, and was curious about beautifull Sonora Pass too. Looks like you and wife had a very nice time. Love the photos.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The day after I received a Learners Permit when I was 15, I took off for a 500+mile trip on a Honda Twinstar. I went over Tioga Pass and down to Bishop and out into Nevada etc. I couldn't stop twisting the throttle until darkness fell and I flopped on a cheap sleeping bag under a park bench. Gosh I miss being 15!
Don't know about 15 Pass Man, but I sure the Hell miss 23-26....those were the days ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good adventure Passman, glad someone was exploring Sierras this weekend. I heard Tioga Pass into Yosemite just opened, having been plowed a month earlier than usual, and was curious about beautifull Sonora Pass too. Looks like you and wife had a very nice time. Love the photos.
Both Passes are open Fred. Sadly the top of Sonora Pass only had 2-3 feet of snow. That's about 10' less than should be there this time of year.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Passman's pic of Sonora Pass road gradient is no joke. That is one seriously steep road. Beautifull country on both sides of pass. Passman ironically earns an a well deserved alternate interpretation of his "Pass" man moniker. Ebbett's Pass on hwy4 a little north is another great ride; steep, narrow, twisty and lined with several georgeous rock-bound lakes. Great slick-rock riding on the granite of upper Stanilaus River between Lake Alpine and Uttica Resivoir too, my favorite slice of sierras .
Beautifull pics, you and your wife know how to have a great adventure and then share with us jealous readers. Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thank you all for sharing my pics. I used to just hustle down the road admiring the scenery, but now I stop and take a quick photo. I think this Forum has helped me slow down and smell the roses, just like the TW forces you to do.;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts