TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been a wannabe for years. Every time I get close something stops me.
I’m currently a full time RVer. With a 5th wheel. I’m trying to see if I load a TW in the pick up bed sideways up against the cab if I’ll still have clearance for the trailer?
I need to know the overall length and width with the handlebars turned all the way to the left.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Don't have the exact numbers at the locations and configuration you would need. From experience a TW will fit in a compact '91 Toyota pick-up with a nominal 6 ft bed angled with the tailgate up and secured.
However for a FITH WHEEL I doubt a TW will go in a modern full size pickup ahead of the hitch and RV without conflict.
If anyone measures for you they should also get the height at the measured extremes. Perhaps with suspension compression the front tire could tuck in under the bed rails and balance of bike clear the RV at full turn and suspension extremes.
My recommendation would be to do a full size real world test with RV, TW & haul vehicle. Anything less is just an approximation of a three dimensional challenge.
First step is to locate a TW to experiment with prior to a purchase. If you lived close by you could borrow mine. But since I don't know where you live...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I’ve been measuring and checking it out . I believe you are correct. I think turning and changing levels will be a problem. Looks like I’ll wait till we get another house.
Thanks

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Have you considered something like a Swivelwheel, Idaho Tote, or Joetrailer mounted behind the RV? Most available in either one, or two wheel configurations. They steer themselves backing up, and can be folded up vertically against rear of RV when no bike is on carrier. I had a smaller single wheel one back when they were vended by Sears, wish I had never given it away. Unfortunately the single wheel had a lot of drag when going down snow pack highways with only standard wheel tracks open to the left and right. Sure helped correct any tail-wagging by my haul vehicle in the snow though, like a big kite tail.:cool:

swivel 1.jpeg

swivel2.jpg

swivil3 - joetrailer.jpg

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
why not put the TW on the back of the fifth wheel trailer.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I’ve been a wannabe for years. Every time I get close something stops me.
I’m currently a full time RVer. With a 5th wheel. I’m trying to see if I load a TW in the pick up bed sideways up against the cab if I’ll still have clearance for the trailer?
I need to know the overall length and width with the handlebars turned all the way to the left.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
length from front tire to tail light is 84 inches. it would be easier to use a front mounted hitch carrier. no ramps to deal with

Attachments

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Good solution Grewen, likely the best.
I had forgotten that many states might require additional licensing like California's CDL or a non-comercial Class A for a swivel wheel. The additional axle might make a Class C or equivalent not good enough.
Notice these things don't seem to be displaying any license plates? Possibly some states consider them articulating frame extensions rather than a trailer.
Mine I kept plated not wanting to have roadside discussions with those officers wishing to keep their state's highways safe from the likes of me and my wobble-wheel oddity.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
P.S. For those interested in the swivel life :
One does need to pay attention to planning a safe center of gravity when in the reverse mode to avoid large negative tongue weight. This video demonstrates how cart located to the rear looks ideal until the RV backs up.
Also no license plate again on what appears to be a California plated RV trailer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of good ideas ,but New York State now considers the swivel attachment a trailer. And it’s not allowed. (Per swivel trailer website) I am not sure about Georgia. I know they don’t allow a trailer behind a 5th wheel.
I thought about upgrading the rear hitch on the trailer which would be expensive and I would not be able to keep an eye on it without spending more money on a camera.
I do like the front hitch on the truck but I’m not sure how law dogs feel about blocking the headlight. Has anyone one done this long distance? If so were there any issues with overheating or the law? It’s the most affordable way to go.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Good solution Grewen, likely the best.
I had forgotten that many states might require additional licensing like California's CDL or a non-comercial Class A for a swivel wheel. The additional axle might make a Class C or equivalent not good enough.
Notice these things don't seem to be displaying any license plates? Possibly some states consider them articulating frame extensions rather than a trailer.
Mine I kept plated not wanting to have roadside discussions with those officers wishing to keep their state's highways safe from the likes of me and my wobble-wheel oddity.

How the hell does something like this stay upright?
I can see that the load would need to be balanced almost perfectly, lest the "trailer" lean to one side or the other. Then I wonder how it would track....

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Handling comments are primarily for auto-castoring swivel wheel set ups, not the smart reactive steering of the Idaho Tote.

There are two points of attachment for all of these to the haul vehicle with only one degree of freedom, rotation about a horizontal axis in line with the two hinge attachme ts to haul vehicle. This is unlike a ball or pintle hitch for normal trailers. Thus no side -to side tipping but some noticeable frame flexure when a single wheel castors from front to rear while reversing direction.

They actually track very well but you have to learn to deal with somewhat greater polar moment of inertia like many longer vehicles...turn in occurs a little sooner as well as the need to counter the turn in. One gets used to it.

Perfect balance is not as important as keeping hitch attachments tight to better resist the negtive "tongue weight" when backing up. One can minimize this negative tongue weight with a compromise forward biased load. More importantly is the height of attachment to the haul vehicle as this really affects geometry and thus stability when reversing. Changing attachment height is like changing the rake on the forks of your motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hey Fred,

I have been trying scheme up a swivel wheel trailer for awhile, but haven't been able to find exactly what will work for my idea. Do you know who manufactures the one in the picture above? I have tried searching for Joetrailer, but all I come up with is some Nicholas Cage movie.

Any leads on swivel wheel or single wheel trailers would be appreciated, even info on that Sears trailer that you mentioned.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Brian, try SwivelWheel and/or Cruiserlift as industry leaders these days. A bit pricey but they have good engineering for suspension, dampeneing, vehicle attchments and storage. Older models like the long discontinued Sears were a little tricky to hook up by oneself.
I think if you google "How to build a swivel wheel trailer" you can still find a lot of info on part vendors, and design requirements to have right geometry ( basically trailer platform level with haul vehicle).
Used to be many manufactures in the 60's but used ones hard to find.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Thanks Fred,

I have already investigated both the Swivel Wheel and Crusier Lift websites exhaustively and have not found what I am looking for. That is why I was interested in the last picture of your post. I hadn't seen that configuration and hoped that you might have uncovered something that I had missed.

Thanks anyways,

Brian

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Has anyone one done this long distance? If so were there any issues with overheating or the law? It’s the most affordable way to go.
I have driven from my home in Maple Ridge up through BC, Yukon, NW territories and Alaska and back with no issues. I have also driven through Alberta, Saskatchewan, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Utah with no issues with the law or overheating my 6.6 dmax.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m thinking that’s the way to go. We’re heading to eastern Tennessee to look at some homes mid March. If we don’t buy a house. I’m going to get a hitch and carrier.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Lots of good ideas ,but New York State now considers the swivel attachment a trailer. And it’s not allowed. (Per swivel trailer website) I am not sure about Georgia. I know they don’t allow a trailer behind a 5th wheel.
I thought about upgrading the rear hitch on the trailer which would be expensive and I would not be able to keep an eye on it without spending more money on a camera.
I do like the front hitch on the truck but I’m not sure how law dogs feel about blocking the headlight. Has anyone one done this long distance? If so were there any issues with overheating or the law? It’s the most affordable way to go.
we have done 4 years of travelling down through the USA for a total of around 18,000 kms. the only time i have been eyeballed by a cop was going through an intersection in Saskatoon Saskatchewan, and i think they were just interested in the bike

·
Registered
19,605 Posts

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Thanks for the info, Fred!

I had looked at those already, but was turned off by the high prices and they only offer double wheel versions. I was hoping to come up with a simple inline single wheeled swiveling, non-suspension setup but so far I have come up empty. I am now considering a two wheeled, non swiveling, torsion axle setup with the wheels spaced about 3 feet apart. I may try this as a first generation design until I can find or fabricate my first choice setup.

(Don't hold your breath waiting for me to complete this project :eek:o_O;))

Brian

·
Registered
353 Posts
Brian,

Could you use the stub end, (spindle, hub, bearings) of a trailer axle for the swivel action part of your fabrication?

Marty

Edit; Oops never mind. Just looked up one of Fred's suggested websites and see that already as well you have. Sorry for the intrusion!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts