TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a vacation this week to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ. This event is for the do-it-yourself adventure travel enthusiasts, with classes on 4-wheel-drive, adventure motorcycling, inspiration programs, Overland Film Festival, round table discussion, demonstrations and 180 vendors of adventure travel gears, bikes, vehicles and services.

I didn't get the chance to take a lot of pictures during the events but here are some the ride along Route 66. You may notice, it is not my purple bike but Mel's Rainbow Warrior which he was kind to loan to me for the trip while my engine is being overhauled.

Oro Grande, CA

Just past Amboy, CA

The only gas station in Truxton

Just loved the name of this restaurant in Seligman, AZ and ended up eating lunch here.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Camping at Mormon Lakes...

This is the last day and a lot of people already left and the Land Rover company decided to park all of their vehicles around my tent which was a good thing...the wind was brutal on the last day and they provided the perfect wind blocker.

This camping stove is a must have...its small and compact! It boil the water in less than 2 minutes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of the awesome riders I met at the Overland Expo...

Lorraine Chittock (On a MISSION from DOG), me, Carla King (American Borders), Danell Lynn (Philanthropic Wanderlust), Amy and Sandy Kron Borden (Adventure Trio blog).

This dude is Andrew Pain, I got to present our TW bike along with his Yamaha SR250-T in class that he was presenting called "Perfect Overland Moto: Small cc". You need to check out his link...
http://traveling250.com/motorcycle-travel-books-and-articles/.

(FYI, he is not sitting on his bike but another bike that belonged to a vendor)

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Purple,

After seeing you out there, my heart feels good today. Mel sure is good folk too!
Thanks for sharing. Someday I gotta get down there somewhere and see that Route 66 stuff. So nostalgic!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks similar to a Horizon's Unlimited gathering. Lots of fun. Wow! I thought I carried a lot of "essentials"......John

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Is it sexist if I point out that you ladies do not travel light? My wife and friends just returned from a Las Vegas wedding and they seemed to average 5.5 pairs of shoes, 4 dresses,three handbags and two swimsuits apiece for a two day jaunt. Maybe this is why you ladies always look so good.
The Jet Boil stove is really something, that as a crude guy I would pack along.
Great pictures, Purple. The Overland Expo must have been a blast even if Flagstaff and the ride there cold

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it sexist if I point out that you ladies do not travel light? My wife and friends just returned from a Las Vegas wedding and they seemed to average 5.5 pairs of shoes, 4 dresses,three handbags and two swimsuits apiece for a two day jaunt. Maybe this is why you ladies always look so good.
The Jet Boil stove is really something, that as a crude guy I would pack along.
Great pictures, Purple. The Overland Expo must have been a blast even if Flagstaff and the ride there cold
Yeah...yeah...it sure looked like a lot but when you don't have panniers then things start to pile up high....I really thought I was being a minimialist but it sure doesn't look like it. Here is a list of what I packed:

Tent
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Tool bag
1 jean
3 shirts
1 pair of under armour
5 socks
5 underwear
1 pair of rain suit
1 winter riding pants (this is the most bulky clothing item I own)
1 pair of winter gloves (can't you tell that I really hate being cold, it got down to the 20's at night in Mormon Lakes)
2 liners for the motorcycle jacket
1 pair of hiking boot
1 pair of flip flop
1 bag of toiletries
1 bag of foods for a week
1 Jet boil
1 camera

That is it my friends and it sure looked like it was a lot!

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Purple I must apologize for certainly I could not have trimmed that list any leaner. Necessary stuff just piles up.You should see my van packed for an equivalent trip,I should bite my tongue and hide in shame.
Funny thing as a kid in 15 minutes I could pack a bag, jacket , a can of coke ( cooking pot, coffee cup, drinking glass), Ramen noodles, instant coffee and my fishing pole and I was good to go. I have become such a candy-a$$ lately that I may never overnight using new Cyclerack. Your adventure spirit leaves me in the dust.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Purple I must apologize for certainly I could not have trimmed that list any leaner. Necessary stuff just piles up.You should see my van packed for an equivalent trip,I should bite my tongue and hide in shame.
Funny thing as a kid in 15 minutes I could pack a bag, jacket , a can of coke ( cooking pot, coffee cup, drinking glass), Ramen noodles, instant coffee and my fishing pole and I was good to go. I have become such a candy-a$$ lately that I may never overnight using new Cyclerack. Your adventure spirit leaves me in the dust.
No worry Fred...I just had to rub it in of what I really packed. I drive my girlfriends crazy because I'm not your typical girl...I actually hate shopping and I only own 5 pairs of shoes. :) I actually learned a lot on this trip of what works and what doesn't. Even though panniers cause wind drag but it is easier to pack stuff in and get into easily. There are more compact stuff I can get like the sleeping pad. I probably could use a smaller tent and so forth. More trips and more practice, I'll get it down to a science.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Yeah like the JetBoil there are some really good backpacking gear that could shrink your load significantly. Moto stuff remains bulky though, can't make riding armor out of down and taffeta.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for sharing Gina. Looking forward to riding with you again this June in Santa Margarita. One of these days you are going to have to come up to Norcal and do one of our single day enduros in Mendocino Forest. We had 13 people on the last one. Easier than the stuff I made you go on in Death Valley. :cool:

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Purple, thanks for turning me on to a JetBoil. I have an ancient Coleman Peak One that we used to use for backpacking and it's a PITA. I copied your list and am in the process of editing it for my moto camping.:)

After many years of tailgating and luxury RV camping it's going to be a challenge to get back into the backpacker mindset!:eek: At least I still have most of that stuff. My old Bullfrog tent is still in good shape after 25 years. (of mostly closet time:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Rocky,

I would suggest reading the following book to help you in downsizing your gears....Andrew Pain presented at the Overland Expo and offered wonderful tips.

[h=1]Going Small - A Guide to Lightweight Motorcycle Touring by Andrew Pain[/h]

·
Registered
257 Posts
Would have liked to have gone to the expo. Bicycle tour and friends in Ohio and Indiana kept me entertained. Next year I'll go!

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Rocky, if you test set up old tent and question reliability of old shock cord inside tent poles new shock cord ( bungie cord) can usually be readily installed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts