TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey So. Cal TW and dual sport friends. I’m planning a dual sport camping and riding trip for the weekend of April 16th and hope some other riders can join. Owl Canyon Campground is part of the Rainbow Basin Natural Area and is managed by the BLM.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/basin.html

I’ll get to camp on Friday afternoon and leave on Sunday morning. A couple of people camping with me will not be riding.

Rainbow basin and points north are amazing. I’m familiar with the route planned for that day. It’s all going to be fairly easy 2 track - low gear stuff - all off pavement. We’ll ride from Rainbow Basin north-west around the back of Opal Mountain, past Inscription Canyon and on to the western most Superior Dry Lake just south of the Fort Irwin boundary. Along the way we’ll see some petro glyphs, old mines, wells and several interesting camping spots used by people over the years. Loads of challenging obstacles await those inclined. I however prefer to take it slow on the path of least resistance and will stop often to see the sights. Hopefully the desert will be in bloom then.

I’m thinking 10:00 am departure from camp and return mid afternoon some time – we’ll see what the group wants and what the weather is. It’s quite possible to arrange a support vehicle from camp to meet us out near the Fort Irwin boundary with fuel and late lunch picnic supplies if we plan to extend our adventure past the range of a stock TW tank. Either way we can complete the basic 80 to 90 mile loop by returning to camp via Copper City Road. Good times!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just hiked Owl Canyon several weeks ago, about 2 miles to the top and saw motorcycle tracks in the area. I had made plans to go with the TW to do a little more exploring. This sounds perfect, I will be traveling from Bakersfield and look for you in the campground on the morning of the 16th.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My life sucks, just handed my work schedule for April. Sorry I won’t be able to make it on the 16th. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I live locally and would love to meet new tdubbers, still have to get my work schedule for that month but will put on my calendar and try to make it.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I live locally and would love to meet new tdubbers, still have to get my work schedule for that month but will put on my calendar and try to make it.

Greenalder, Looks like I will be there on Friday with Jimbo through Monday am. Will my 5th wheel make it to camp and is there enough room to park and camp it there? Looking forward to riding with you again.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I'm in. Not sure how it will all work yet cuz I gotta collect Purple from LAX on Friday night, but I/We will be there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent!

Ronny,the BLM says that the sites there are big enough for a 5th wheel. The 2 or 3 miles in from Irwin road (Fossil Bed Road) is wide washboard so you should have no trouble. All sites including the one group site they have are 1st come 1st serve.

Link with pic:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/camping.html

I'll try to get there as early as possible on Friday to see what the deal is. I've not camped in Owl Canyon but know the area to the north pretty well. Important: Fossil Bed Road is off of Irwin Road and not FORT Irwin Road.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Good call on getting the right road.

Actually there are two ways to get in there which amount to 6 of one, half dozen of the other. The second would be slightly less hassle with the fifth wheel, but a real pain if you missed the turn.

The first is to take I15 to Barstow Rd. north til it ends at Main St., left to 1st. St., then over the bridge past the Harvey House and Rt. 66 Museum (site of our wedding
), left on IRWIN Rd. to Fossil Bed Rd., then left.

The second is probably more direct but a bit tricky if you miss the turn:

I15 to the FORT IRWIN exit. Left on FORT IRWIN Rd. (FORT IRWIN Rd. skirts south of the Calico Mountains and the town of Calico) eventually intersecting IRWIN Rd. at an oblique angle. This turn is really easy to miss apparently, since everyone I've ever sent this way gets lost. LOL. Turn left on IRWIN Rd., then south ( Back toward Barstow) then RIGHT (west) on Fossil Bed Rd. (dirt, washboardish, but wide). Follow the signs to Owl Cyn.

Miss the turn and you'll eventually be greeted by surly guys with no sense of humor dressed in funny clothes, bearing M16's and equipped with hot lights and uncomfortable chairs. FT. IRWIN Rd. will take you to the front gate of FT. IRWIN.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good call on getting the right road.

Actually there are two ways to get in there which amount to 6 of one, half dozen of the other. The second would be slightly less hassle with the fifth wheel, but a real pain if you missed the turn.

The first is to take I15 to Barstow Rd. north til it ends at Main St., left to 1st. St., then over the bridge past the Harvey House and Rt. 66 Museum (site of our wedding
), left on IRWIN Rd. to Fossil Bed Rd., then left.

The second is probably more direct but a bit tricky if you miss the turn:

I15 to the FORT IRWIN exit. Left on FORT IRWIN Rd. (FORT IRWIN Rd. skirts south of the Calico Mountains and the town of Calico) eventually intersecting IRWIN Rd. at an oblique angle. This turn is really easy to miss apparently, since everyone I've ever sent this way gets lost. LOL. Turn left on IRWIN Rd., then south ( Back toward Barstow) then RIGHT (west) on Fossil Bed Rd. (dirt, washboardish, but wide). Follow the signs to Owl Cyn.

Miss the turn and you'll eventually be greeted by surly guys with no sense of humor dressed in funny clothes, bearing M16's and equipped with hot lights and uncomfortable chairs. FT. IRWIN Rd. will take you to the front gate of FT. IRWIN.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like were possibly going to make it after all, should be two more riders arriving Friday night.

Glad you can make it. We’ll save some chili and quesadillas for you Friday night.

Looks like we have a whole Trailway posse going right now!

Me

Bobbalouey

Ronnydog

Jimbo

Lizardbrth

Purple

mcooter +1

I hope Russ and Purple can be there for Saturday morning.

Weather looks great - 80's daytime 50's at night. It should be a primo riding weekend. Feel free to e-mail me off list with questions, change of plans, exchange cell numbers etc. –Steven

·
Registered
284 Posts
This sounds like this will be a great trip! Unfortunately I'll have to miss it due to a prior engagement I have that weekend but have fun, hopefully I'll be able to make the next one!

Kevin

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This sounds like this will be a great trip! Unfortunately I'll have to miss it due to a prior engagement I have that weekend but have fun, hopefully I'll be able to make the next one!

Kevin

hey Kevin, We missed you guys out there. Thanks everyone for making it an amazing weekend. I highly recommend all for riding buddies and hope to ride with you again down the line. Good people. Please post more pics too. Thanks TW forum!!

Ride Start: Tip of the ice/rockberg

L to R (by TW) - Ron, Steve, Lou, Kim, Mark, Jim, Russ.

Photo op stop - Dez in Bloom

Shallow mine shaft - scratched helmet DOH!

Looking north near Ft Irwin Boundary

Sunday Morning ride in the Badlands a few miles North of Rainbow Basin.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
hey Kevin, We missed you guys out there. Thanks everyone for making it an amazing weekend. I highly recommend all for riding buddies and hope to ride with you again down the line. Good people. Please post more pics too. Thanks TW forum!!

Amen to that. Impossible to have a bad ride among this crowd. I am also consistently in awe of the campfire conversations which result from the unique combination of interests, skillsets and life experience represented.

Thanks to Greenalder for putting this together and being our trailboss on Sat.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Since my bike still wasn't ready yet, I was unable to join the ride but I met up with them at the campground. They chatted up a storm about their ride and I was jealous! Well at least my bike will be ready for our trip on Route 66 next month.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Steven AKA "Grenalder" and Ronnydog pre small cave exploration:

Some of our co-riders were a bit slow with lots of traction and some were fast with lots of traction:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just a nice picture that says to me " Lets GO!"

Ronnydog on top of someplace we called "Green Mountain" because it was a strange striking pale green color

Having a good time here on a hidden dry lake with Russ aka Lizardbrth,and Steven .It's was a pleasure to ride with you both, and hear of your adventures.

A quick stop to check one of our riders that had gone down in the sand. L-R Ron, Lou, and Mark regrouping

from a hight point I caught Ronny and Steve taking a break on aother high point with the zoom. I like this shot because it has my favorite elements, namely Friendship, Fun, Beauty, and Adventure

I know this dosn't look steep but the jeepers at the top took about 1/2 hour to decide to risk coming down. a whole cavelcade of dirt riders came by on high end bikes and decided to "Go Around" this hill. Thats Ronnydog there comming back from a second helping of that hill. It's fun riding with you Ron-Bo.

I will try to post more later, I had great company, riding, scenery, definatly a great time.

<<<<<<This is a clickable VIDEO of a short cave jaunt near camp>>>>>>

1 - 20 of 38 Posts