TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on taking a drive down to Cherry Springs State Park PA this weekend and just figured I'd ask our local pa residents if they would know of any good (preferably free) camping locations around that area? I figure the actual parks camping is going be pretty packed and they don't allow camp fires which kind of sucks. When in doubt I figure just drive around until locating a site but never hurts to ask around.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I rode by there yesterday and cruised thru the campground. That place is known for star gazing and fires and white flashlights not allowed !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rode by there yesterday and cruised thru the campground. That place is known for star gazing and fires and white flashlights not allowed !
That's the reason we're going, bringing the camera gear and telescope and hopefully we'll get at least one clear night.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm not sure what to expect there! I have friends that are camping in 5th wheels at a place about 40 miles away like they have for a long time and they are not allowed visitors this year!
We were able to get a sub at the gas station in Galeton and they had a porta pot outside in the parking lot. Not much help,, Sorry !

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wish I could help you but I've never been there even though I'm a very active amateur astronomer and even live in Pennsylvania. I just retired so I'll have more time to do lots of those things I never got around to so hopefully will get there soon. What kind of telescope do you have? I have an Orion 10 inch SkyQuest Dob I bought in 2001. I don't do CCD imagining though. Are you on the Cloudy Nights forum?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It's rated the best astronomy location East of the Mississippi River.
I didn't know that and I don't have a telescope, but this area is only an hour away from where I live and it is great riding especially Rt 44 and 144.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what to expect there! I have friends that are camping in 5th wheels at a place about 40 miles away like they have for a long time and they are not allowed visitors this year!
We were able to get a sub at the gas station in Galeton and they had a porta pot outside in the parking lot. Not much help,, Sorry !
I did some calling around and from what I can gather the campsites are open but any building is closed. Trying to contact parks directly to set a reservation but doesn't seem to be anyone there when I call, they might be using an honorbox system...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I could help you but I've never been there even though I'm a very active amateur astronomer and even live in Pennsylvania. I just retired so I'll have more time to do lots of those things I never got around to so hopefully will get there soon. What kind of telescope do you have? I have an Orion 10 inch SkyQuest Dob I bought in 2001. I don't do CCD imagining though. Are you on the Cloudy Nights forum?
It's my sisters telescope so I don't really know what it is. I just get dragged along on the family trips for navigation and photography lol. I have a couple DSLR and tripods so I'm hoping to get some nice panoramics of the sky. Personally I'm not on Cloudy Nights but will let my sister know about it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cherry springs is pretty close to our camp in cameron county. Always like seeing other Pa residents on here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Personally I'm not on Cloudy Nights but will let my sister know about it.
There are people of all levels on Cloudy Nights from professionals to folks who think the North Star is the brightest star in the sky. Of course the confused North Star folks get real smart real fast if they ask questions and pay attention. It's the best astronomy forum in the English speaking world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts