TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Longest Stretch of Undeveloped Barrier Island in The World! No roads, just riding the beach. I was planning to ride the entire length of 60 miles one way by myself, but I am reading that at the south end you might not see anyone for a day or two so I am concerned about being stranded. I see this being a two day trip. My schedule is very flexible, but would like to go soon. If I can't find a buddy I will probably go down and ride the more populated beaches, since every beach in Texas is legally a state highway.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
The Longest Stretch of Undeveloped Barrier Island in The World! No roads, just riding the beach. I was planning to ride the entire length of 60 miles one way by myself, but I am reading that at the south end you might not see anyone for a day or two so I am concerned about being stranded. I see this being a two day trip. My schedule is very flexible, but would like to go soon. If I can't find a buddy I will probably go down and ride the more populated beaches, since every beach in Texas is legally a state highway.
Welcome to the forum and that's exciting first post! Can't wait to hear how it goes! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got back yesterday - great ride and I did make it all the way to the jetty at the end! Overall, there was not as much deep sand as I expected, most of the way was hard packed. I rode close to the high tide mark and there were only occasional areas of sand I was forced into, mostly to get around parked vehicles. Out to around Mile 20 there was no deep sand, and most of the people were in this stretch - although fewer than I expected. Past that point not many people, and there is more sand but still very ridable. At least on the mighty TW200! I even grew a little bored and turned into the deepest sand and ruts I could find just to make it a challenge. And I grew to love my fat tired little bike even more as we laughed and frolicked in the sand! But I believe even lesser bikes - like KTMs, KLRs, BMWs, etc. could make it just fine. I highly recommend the trip, at least once for the experience. A couple of tips:

1. I left at high tide, figuring that if I could make it all the way down then I would not have any trouble getting back during low tide. This was the right choice.

2. I wasn't sure of my MPG traveling at the posted speed of 15 MPH, so I reached my turn around point short of the end and turned back. Luckily, some local fisherfolk gave me some gas a few miles up, so I turned back around and finished the trip. Turns out I did't need the gas. When I later checked my MPG, the little TW had managed 90 MPG at that speed! I usually only average 55 MPG highway. The posted speed limit is 15 MPH, although I was going about twice that and kept it in 3rd and 4th gear with the throttle barely cracked past idle.

3. I was glad I took a plastic disk to put under the kickstand. I just kept it wedged between the seat and gas tank. Although most places I really didn't need it.

IMG_1315.JPG IMG_1324.JPG IMG_1328.JPG IMG_1351.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts