TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bear with me. I've been vicariously building my own "ideal" slow travel bike in my head, and since you were dumb enough to stumble in here....:p

A lot of the general info is common to both bikes, but myself and others may have a boatload of geeky AG-specific questions from time to time.. This also may be a good spot for you to point out the many useful differences between AGbikes and their "civilian" counterparts. You have the floor. Let us know if you're into it.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is the depth to my dumbness!
I knew we'd get along....

They've turned a lot of really good bikes into SUV's over the years. In a world that began with a 216 pound XT200 we're now pushing the 300 lb. mark with all the "advancements". Time they walked backwards for a spell.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Great link AGman!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Random AG Q's:

Is the right side kickstand fitted to a frame weldment or is it some sort of sandwiched attachment to the footpeg bracket area?

The flatsided muffler APPEARS to be much less intrusive of load space than the typical Yamaha round item. Is it?

TW frames are shorter than XT or TTR frames. Is there any indication that the AG is dimensionally a departure from the early XT200 frame?

I actually don't know whether or not the AG has clutch or brake lever locks, but if so are they simple wire bails similar to those on the lever perches of the old 3 wheelers?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you, sir. I was not aware of the different shift pattern but it makes sense.

I'd like a "hill holder" brake lock, though I reckon it would be a bit of a fidget to manipulate.

At a recent event I was asked what small-displacement, low tech bike I would buy for world travel. I said that it didn't exist and would have to be built. I could build one in a month if you sent me an XR or an XT. Or I could build one in a day if you sent me an AG200. lol.

Change out the primary drive ratio or (better) swap in an XT225 motor, slap on some Giant Loops, conquer globe.

Too bad they get so trashed that good specimens are so hard to find. But having done that sort of work horseback I'm surprised they last a week..

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Aside from the shift dogs and the primary are the individual gear ratios the same?

I had my hands on that info at one point. No clue where I got it. AG info is pretty sparse on the 'net.

Is that chingus under the right side of your rear rack a hand pump?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Disregard. I'm an idjit.

You've already provided that info on the other one. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Man, what a great tour of the AG. Thank you. Most pics of them on the internet are short on detail, but I downloaded your service manual link and it has filled in a lot of the blanks.

The rear rack is wider than I had thought. The upswept "real" rear frame loop is a stronger arrangement and makes more sense than our open-ended mess with the add-on sub-subframe. Of course it's kinda tough to get good coverage for our fat rear tire with an underslung fender. To get any real weight on a TW the rack has to be cantilevered from lower on the frame. If tied together our subframe would be even more stout than yours, permitting lighter weight rear racks.

TW lore says the original intent of them was for ag use, yet they have never benefited from the full-on agbike treatment. It doesn't appear as if they were ever as widely accepted for that purpose. I wonder if they were rejected by ag users for that reason or if they just proved too cumbersome for work due to the more normal gearing, the tires or the weight.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I tend to agree with you, but that has always been the lore.

Contrast the rear subframe on yours with the TW frame, which just kinda trails off in mid-air. Our forward frames are probably stronger laterally by virtue of their wider stance, but the subframe tends to squirm side-for-side because the only thing tying the two sides of it together are those two little seat support straps. In hard use the seat support welds work harden and crack from flexing:

We have a cute liddlle "sub-subframe" hanging off the open end which supports the tail lights, turn signals, rear fender and the optional factory rear rack. I think the actual load rating is something like 6 lbs. My subframe survives 130 lb. bales of hay and carrying the gear for two for thousands of miles only because it is spanned and triangulated by my side racks. Racks like the Cyclerack cantilever the load from one of the seat supports down low, to the footpeg bracket mounts. This works well enough to take most of the load from the waddling subframe but wouldn't be needed with a rear frame loop and gusseted triangulation.

Don't get me wrong. The frames are by no means fragile under reasonable use and the bare frame weight is a fairly decent 21 lbs., but they could have been a lot better. If the subframe were tougher the rack could be mounted along the seat rails, above the muffler and well clear of the tire, as with the AG. The fender, license plate and accouterments could then be incorporated into the rack saving a bit of weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts