TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just one of the hazards of living in Hawaii.
04:00AM, Woke up with a stinging sensation in my upper leg. It quickly turned to fire at a spot about 4 inches below my crotch on the inside of my thigh.
I turned on the light but did not see the perpetrator which means the bastard is still in the room some where.
As the pain worsened I recognized the two puncture marks that are the signature of a centipede sting. I soaked it with a rag wet with vinegar and then dabbed on some orajel. No more sleep this night.
This is the second time in two years I have been stung in my own house by these monsters. I killed the first one but couldn't find this one.
The sting caused a half dollar sized swelling with a black spot the size of a pencil eraser with the two puncture marks looking like fang bite of a small snake. Damn those things hurt.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sounds like a big bugger. What about a Centi-Cat? Or Depede-Hound?

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My house dragons take care of a lot of bugs but are smart enough to not go after the centipedes. I think a centipede would kill one.
House dragons are quick but centipedes are armor plated and tough to kill. I think it could get in a lethal sting before the dragon could kill it.
This is a typical house dragon.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's amazing how life forms adapt to their surroundings. Your "house dragon" would be dead in seconds in my area as the coloration would be like a neon sign "Come Eat ME".

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I found this video of a large gecko of a specie not found in Hawaii, fighting with a small centipede.
I noticed that the gecko stopped moving except for breathing. I can't tell if it is waiting for the centipede to die or if it has been stung.
I notice that it keeps its' legs out of reach of the pede.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm not sure that some of our centipedes are quite as deadly as those in other parts. Still, I'd bet on the chicken.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
man phelonius, that must hurt. I've seen them while in Hawaii and herd the pain from the sting is similar to a gunshot

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's more like a sting that turns into a burn. It takes about ten to twenty minutes to reach full volume. That means if you have a good analgesic like whisky, (enough of it), you can avoid some of the pain. Just start doing shooters and don't stop until you feel no pain. But then don't try to ride anywhere. Most of the pain is gone now but I still have the eraser sized black piece of flesh with the two sting marks in the center. I think the black indicates dead flesh. That's how the last one was but it was a bigger specimen, nearly 6 inches long and very hot.
I have one of those electric badmitten raquets, If I see him I will press it over him and hold down the button until he is executed.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love watching chickens kill them, but some animals come out second best. This frog is dying in agony from the centipede stings.
Then it will eat the frog, ---- If the man with the camera doesn't kill it first.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Nasty you had that on your inner thigh... You are a lucky man that Kermit didn't get bit!

I love watching chickens kill them, but some animals come out second best. This frog is dying in agony from the centipede stings.
Then it will eat the frog, ---- If the man with the camera doesn't kill it first.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Condolences Phelonius. That's has to hurt! If it makes you feel better, I got stung by a wasp in the ear last week
Little bugger slipped under my face shield of my helmet and whacked me at 70mph, I had to "take it like a man" and
pull over to cry about it. Hard to put helmet back on after and ride home. Bother. Always something.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I can sympathize with that. When I was in my young twenties I had a honey bee come up under my face shield and sting me right between the eyes.
It sure got my attention fast.
Oh, BTW, this guy is braver than me or maybe the centipede is dead. I don't see a head on it. Maybe he snipped it with scissors or a knife.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yep, I think the dude is dead.
I don't know anyone that would let a live one crawl on him!

I grew up in Hawaii and as kids we used to go hunting for those monsters in a local drainage tunnel.
They seem to love concrete (do you have concrete floors?) and they would be all over the floor, the walls and I think even the ceiling of the tunnel.
We would walk in holding rocks, barefoot, in shorts, maybe a tee shirt, and dozens of wriggling huge centipedes would be everywhere, coming out of pipes, from under rocks, and we would dare each other to keep going until we chickened out and would throw our rocks and kill a few before running out of there as fast as we could.
Once in a while one of us would get bit and it hurt so much we couldn't even walk.
Stoooooopid kids! How did any of us survive adolescence?

Our parents would ask "Did you go in the drain tunnel AGAIN???

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Yep, I think the dude is dead.
I don't know anyone that would let a live one crawl on him!

I grew up in Hawaii and as kids we used to go hunting for those monsters in a local drainage tunnel.
They seem to love concrete (do you have concrete floors?) and they would be all over the floor, the walls and I think even the ceiling of the tunnel.
We would walk in holding rocks, barefoot, in shorts, maybe a tee shirt, and dozens of wriggling huge centipedes would be everywhere, coming out of pipes, from under rocks, and we would dare each other to keep going until we chickened out and would throw our rocks and kill a few before running out of there as fast as we could.
Once in a while one of us would get bit and it hurt so much we couldn't even walk.
Stoooooopid kids! How did any of us survive adolescence?

Our parents would ask "Did you go in the drain tunnel AGAIN???
Been there, done that as a kid in Hawaii also!! I loved being able to go barefoot to school back then. No kids wore shoes... The bottom of my feet were like thick thick leather.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts