TW200 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
The diode wiring:

View attachment 142609

View attachment 142521
The red wires from the diode soldered and heat shrunk to the salvaged brown and green wires from left and right signals....I did not remove them from the sleeve, just moved them up to solder, shrink tubed and then pulled back down through the sleeve with the diode.

View attachment 142529
The blue wire from the diode to the center conductor and the side terminal green wire soldered to the new black ground wire and both them and the diode pulled back into the sleeve.

View attachment 142537 d
The salvaged green and brown turn signal wires soldered to the red wires from the diode and pulled back down through the sleeve. It's hard to see, but the black ground wire is just to the right of them.
Now, all that is left is to add about 4" of black wire to the ground, then attach it to a ground. I chose to use the headlight ground, and one can flip open the back of the three prong connector and with careful use of a needle solder iron attach the black ground wire to it, or add an appropriate ring terminal and attach it to some other ground.

For the green and brown left and right signal wire extensions, clip off whatever is not needed, remove the yellow positive turn signal wires from the green and brown connectors, strip and tin about 3/8th s of the ends of your salvaged extensions of the red diode wires, push them up through the small bullets from the new stalks just a 1/16 of an inch, bend the tips a bit, squeeze the very tip of the bullet to hold them and re-insert the yellow positive wires into the respective brown (left) and green (right) OEM female connectors.

Before you button up the headlight, lamp housing, and cowl, test the signals....they should blink in tandem with the dash indicator light. If it is the neutral light that blinks, you have twisted the rubber lamp base a half turn in the process of soldering. It is also a good idea to test all bullet connections with a moderate push/pull. Due to the different size of bullets and sockets when using as much OEM stuff as possible, it may take few tries to get the female bullet connectors to grip tightly. Tuck all wires away carefully as you put the headlight back in.

Enjoy your new LED turn signals!

My install was identical to Trail Winder's post #3 in this thread: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/24913-led-turn-signal-troubles-continue.html, without the other changes he did.

It is apparent that the instructions on Procycles website are not correct for late model TW's...ignore them. Save your money and get the flasher and diode kit from Superbrightleds.com.

For some reason, the second post would not embed the pics????

Rocky
I haven't been very successful in reviving old threads but let me give it another try...

Decided to bag the LED bulbs in stock housings and go full LED signals as I replace me tail light with an LED when installing a tail tidy.

I've read Rocky's post a bunch of times (thanks for taking the time to put it together) and the pictures are very helpful (and my friend). Where I'm stumped is taking the second signal indicator wire to the ground. What ground wire do I tie into? Possible to try to repost that picture, Rocky?

Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great. Thank you both for replying.

I tied my ground into the headlight ground. I now have working LED signals front and rear along with LED headlight and rear tail light. With flasher installed, signals blink correctly.

BUT my signal indicator light stays on with an incandescent bulb. Doesn't work at all with an LED bulb. My preference would be to run an LED indicator bulb.

Any help in resolving this issue is most appreciated even is means I need to continue to use the incandescent.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I thought that is what the diode kit is supposed to fix. All I can suggest is to go back through the wiring very carefully. I used the incandescent bulb and had no such problem.

·
Registered
203 Posts

I tied my ground into the headlight ground. I now have working LED signals front and rear along with LED headlight and rear tail light. With flasher installed, signals blink correctly.

BUT my signal indicator light stays on with an incandescent bulb. Doesn't work at all with an LED bulb. My preference would be to run an LED indicator bulb.

Any help in resolving this issue is most appreciated even is means I need to continue to use the incandescent.
Mine too. I've run a whole season with the indicator on. Nothing bad has come of it. I put a wee square of electrical tape over it. Outta sight, outta mind.

·
Registered
168 Posts

You need to follow the wires into the harness that goes into the headlight. From there you switch around the two wires and then you can use a LED in the indicator socket.

Use this thread for a how to. https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/65748-led-turn-signal-indicator-*usingled-turn-signal-bulbs*.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day everyone, im new here and I am working on a friends TW doing this LED turn signal switch. I have followed the instructions and re-read the posting multiple time however something is eluding me. First off thank you Rocky TFS for putting this together, it was very helpful. Okay so the issue I am having (with the bike, not me :) ) I put everything together and the signals are super dim and don't blink. I think I read one person saying they had to hook up the flasher relay backwards, so I tried that. I get the flashers at full power but no flash. I then checked all of my connection and hooked the flasher back up normally and ta-da the signals flash at full strength...…..once. just once and then nothing else happens. im very lost and my friend would like her bike to be done before winter ends (so, in a month or two). Thank you very much in advance for the help or hints/tricks. Have a good day.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts