TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a four minute sample of some of the variety in last weekends desert ride with Adam-in-Nevada in the Painted Hills area above Pyramid Lake, Nevada. We were fairly close to the California border so please tolerate my "California Blues" soundtrack performed by the Reno Brothers. I really liked the numerous vugs and cavities in a variety of welded ash flow tuffs. Hydrothermal alteration caused the colorful mineralizing of surrounding formations and attracted the old time miners whose eroded roads we so enjoy today.
[/video]

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A 2/3 rds scale P-51 lost its engine yesterday and made a dead stick landijng on the road close to where we were riding. The mini-Mustang smacked into a pick-up truck then burned. Everyone O.K. but I wonder what pick-up driver's insurance thought when told he was hit by a plane. I felt so sorry for the pilot/builder who had put over a decade into his plane.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Great video and it looks like a challenging trail. Keeping the speed down and time to rest here and there I think I could manage it. You and Adam are sure getting a lot of experience and honing your off road skills to a high degree. I am jealous!!!!

Bummer about the plane. Most WW2 planes are really nice looking but the Mustang was near the top of the list, if not at the top.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't you get a ride on a Confederate Air Force B-17 Tony?

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Didn't you get a ride on a Confederate Air Force B-17 Tony?
It wasn't the Confederate Air Force. It was the one out of Massachusetts. Collings Foundation. We flew from Moffett Field up the east side of the bay, across Treasure / Yerba Buena Islands, across Angle Island (Alcatraz was close but we didn't go over it), along the GGB, back to the east side of the bay and back to Moffett. Flight time was about 35 minutes and that was about right. My Dad said his missions were often 10 to 12 hours -- it must have been rough.

Picture taken with film -- it was a while ago -- hence the small size.

GGB from the left waist gun position.

Copy of LWGGB.jpg

·
Registered
456 Posts
Great video, Fred! It is very well put together.

That was indeed another great ride. Boy, that camera sure does a great job of capturing the beauty.

·
Super Moderator
17,949 Posts
Fred, you really have been cranking out some great videos, I love them all! Great job!

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think they let elime play with the machine gun? I seem to recall seeing some .50 cal holes in the Golden Gate Bridge.:)
Glad you like video. 'twas a fine desert ride, Adam really knows some good places, including some native american rock art panels he has promised to share. Evan found some very good petroglyphs his last solo ride here too. I usually head up into cooler forested elevations but I found myself really enjoying the smooth fast roads in the valley bottoms here.

·
Registered
13,645 Posts
Nice ride! I wish we lived closer together. I'm so glad you got a video camera!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts