TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only a few days of commuting in the snow the header pipe looks like poo. I guess the heat and snow made the finish turn to crap.

I may just say the heck with it and get a TTR header pipe but is there any really good high temp paint that won't flake off? The integrity of the pipe is good so hate to get rid of it.

Fender extender is going to happen soon.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have a buddy that has good luck with powder coating his header........... Not sure how it would hold up in snow............ OMM.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Powder coating is the way to go. Just make sure the place has done exhaust before so they know how to spray it. If you decide to use BBQ paint then first make sure your pipe is well sanded and 100 percent clean! I washed mine in dawn soap and wore gloves so no finger print oil. Also get a good brand ( Krylon) and do lots of light coats. I had a 1974 TS-185 and the pipe still looked good after several years of mud and snow build up.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've had good results with VHT Flame Proof ceramic exhaust paint on cars and am going to do the pipe, shields, & muffler on my '95. I imagine it's similar to the Rustoleum hi temp.

If you use a ceramic type paint make sure you follow the instructions exactly. It has to cure properly for max protection. I coated the headers on my street rod 18 years & 90K miles ago and they still don't have any rust even after many trips to the salt flats.

I don't know how the coating will hold up to rocks and crud hitting them on a motorcycle tho. I made a flap for my '08 and it's kept the engine and exhaust pretty clean so far. Here's a link about mud guards.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I've had good luck with VHT header paint from the parts store. A mud flap really helps too, I have them on mine, front and rear.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you guys. It sounds like a lot of you have had good success. I will wait until the spring hits and I can ride a different bike before I do it.

I guess I figured powder coating was a not go with the temps but that may be the ticket.

I found some sheet urethane that I am getting for the mudflap. It is what is used on rally cars and stays flexible in the cold.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I found some sheet urethane that I am getting for the mudflap. It is what is used on rally cars and stays flexible in the cold.

Urethane should work. My experience with front flap material is that it should be firm enough to hold it's shape but flexible enough to fold back if you go over a big log or something where the flap hits.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Urethane should work. My experience with front flap material is that it should be firm enough to hold it's shape but flexible enough to fold back if you go over a big log or something where the flap hits.

I have used it on my cars (Subaru Rally Style) and it works pretty well. It would afford a little longer flap with the flexibility and not be a problem over obstacles.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I've had good results with VHT Flame Proof ceramic exhaust paint on cars and am going to do the pipe, shields, & muffler on my '95. I imagine it's similar to the Rustoleum hi temp.

If you use a ceramic type paint make sure you follow the instructions exactly. It has to cure properly for max protection. I coated the headers on my street rod 18 years & 90K miles ago and they still don't have any rust even after many trips to the salt flats.

I don't know how the coating will hold up to rocks and crud hitting them on a motorcycle tho. I made a flap for my '08 and it's kept the engine and exhaust pretty clean so far. Here's a link about mud guards.

+1 on the VHT. Super easy to use and cure.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, there's not much to say. It's painted and baked per instructions. Time and use will tell how long it lasts. It looks good right now tho. I'm going to do the muffler and shields next. Excuse the dirty oven.

Easy way to hang it. I put a fishing swivel above the hook to let me spin it around while painting.

Hanging in the oven

I used flat black but after curing and wiping down it looks more satin. I like that.

·
Registered
793 Posts
You don't have to resort to just black. You can get it all shiny and then just have a clear ceramic powder coat to protect it.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Does your wife still love you after stinking up her oven with paint fumes? Cuz your next roast is going to taste funny!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Does your wife still love you after stinking up her oven with paint fumes? Cuz your next roast is going to taste funny!
Actually, she doesn't cook, but I made scalloped potatoes (in a dish with a lid) while the oven was still warm and they didn't taste weird. In fact there were hardly any fumes while curing. I was surprised.

Sue is used to me doing things like this and doesn't mind.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks great. Thanks for the update. I am pretty sure my wife would be unhappy about the oven use. I am going to wait another couple of months until we get nice weather and then pull it apart. I may just opt for the TT header and be done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts