TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Painting Plastics

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  billdapart 
#1 ·
Has anyone painted the plastics (front/rear fenders, side panels, cowl) of their TW? If so, What did you use as far as primer and top coat. I would think top coat would be similar to painting a urethane car bumper by using flex additive in the base and clear coats.

Any suggestions? Not looking to rattle can it.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Like Tulane and two of my bikes many of the TWs repainted here were done with simple spray paint cans. However there have been several discussions on more elaborate professional grade techniques which could be researched via "Similar Threads" or the "Search" feature on this Forum.

#4 ·
I can't remember anyone getting their plastics painted other than some form of rattle can. Not that it hasn't been done I just don't remember. At the bottom left of this page there could be some similar threads which may have some information you request.

If you end up rattle can painting, there is a ton of info on that but you probably already have seen that.

Good luck.

#5 ·
I used spray paint made for plastic car rims. Some product lines have primers, some clear coats. Just light sand and degrease thoroughly before applying any paint. It's pretty tough and a little flexible. It takes grinding it on a rock or improperly removing your side plastics to damage it. If it does get damaged, just sand the area smooth and touch up. Touch ups are hard to spot if done right. Especially under a dusting from off road riding.

#6 ·
Thank you everyone. I'm exploring a few options with my Dupont rep. Might just be less hassle to order the parts in the color needed. I'm not a rattle canner. I have never achieved the kind of finish I need from one. I'm a paint gun guy. Glass smooth and deep gloss shine is what I'm looking for. I'v been painting cars and drag boats for years. Plastics are just a bit new to me.

Reactions: Fred
#7 ·
Go with the molded in color desired if your bike goes off-road for damage to a paint job seems inevitable . The more stages of primer, color coat and clear coat the more layers one needs to remove in order to begin to restore a uniform luster and color consistency after a scratch.

Reactions: olderthendirt
#8 ·
Thats also what I'm looking into Fred. I see Pro Cycle offers the plastics in black, which is the color I'm shooting for. By the time I add up materials and my labor time I'm thinking that might be the better option. And like you said...no need to touch up after I crash. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.