TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,936 Posts
Reactions: Kevinwa

·
Registered
125 Posts
The best (most durable and attractive) way is to powder coat it.
Guessing about $20 or so, some less if you let them hold it until they have another black job so they can run them together and not have to do a color change out just for your one piece.
If not, just clean it good, lightly sand it, clean it again with a strong solvent, prime it, then shoot it black, 2-coats.
Flat or semi-gloss will likely hold up better.
Rattle cans all the way, baby!

You'll probably have to touch it up once in a while if it's painted.
Powder coated...not so much!

Should you decide to leave it natural, when it starts getting dinged & scratched, take it to a motorcycle shop and have it bead-blasted for not much moola. It will look as original.

I'm guessing you want to keep the bike as nice as you can, since you are painting the skid-plate.
I'm with you there!

Post a pic when done...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The skid plate is aluminum. Paint won't stick without using special prep and paint. Your better deal is to anodize it. Easy to do, just clean, wire brush to get a grain to the metal, then wipe it on. Just search Amazon for black anodize dye.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Spray can bedliner. If you keep the can back at least 18 inches and do several thin coats, it'll come out like a Rubbermaid garbage can texture. It's really tough and less rubbery that way. Painted half a car with it 16 years ago and it's still on there.

·
Super Moderator
19,936 Posts
I second the bedliner spray. Durable ,easy to apply and touch up. I think rust-oleium even has it in a couple colors now.
Yeah I do too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The skid plate is aluminum. Paint won't stick without using special prep and paint. Your better deal is to anodize it. Easy to do, just clean, wire brush to get a grain to the metal, then wipe it on. Just search Amazon for black anodize dye.
this is an older post so im just posting for future reference but true anodize uses a solution that the skid plate will be immersed in while an electric current is applied. Something brushed on might have been alodine which is what aerospace parts are sometimes dipped in to aid in paint adhesion. A type of it is also found on the inside of aluminum beverage cans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts