TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Labor Day, my Brother and I set off for an adventure trekking across the Upper Peninsula on our dual purpose motorcycles (TW200, CRF 450x). Using Snowmobile/ORV trails as our guide, we navigated through the UP backcountry. From torrential downpours to warm cloud-less days, we experienced it all. We created new friends, and ran into old ones. Most importantly we created lasting memories together, that only perseverance and a thirst for adventure can create.
Details: 750 miles, Paradise to Christmas, Christmas to Big Bay, Big Bay to Porcupine Mountain State Park (PMSP), PMSP to Marquette, and Marquette to Paradise.
Scenic Highlights: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Big Bay-Thunder Bay Inn, Mt Arvon, PMSP, Sugar Loaf Mtn.

Performance***My TW ran like a beast! Not one issue mechanically the entire trip. Actually my brother was begging to ride my TW over his 450x. My TDub's advantages include- less vibration at 60 (surprisingly,) far wider/more comfortable seat, handles the extreme pack load better, bigger tires were more suited for the rough/ rocky/ mud laden terrain, lower seat height for obstacles. Just prior to the trip I placed a kenda 760 track master (replacing my Shinko 241- which was great in all but sand) on the front, aired down and worn in, that thing was a life saver..... In the sand, mud, rocks; far superior to the 241.

Crashes***My brother went down probably 6 times in the sand, ruts, and single tracks; all at a slow rate of speed and we were up and moving again in under a minute. I only put my dub on its side twice! In 750 miles of trails/300 miles of sand. I dropped it approaching a trail head, putting across the ruts while turning, my front washed out. The second time I was traveling down a single track and flew off the trail, the huge slope from off/ on trail put the bike on a very steep incline at a stop, and it just tipped over. My crash bars protected the bike during both tip overs, and my bike is still damage free (sigh of relief.)

I highly recommend a long backpacking style trip on a t dub, it really gave me a new sense of appreciation for the Dub. This trip suited the dub perfectly!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
503 Posts
Nice pictures and RR. Glad to hear there was nothing damaged ( man/ machine). I too feel the dub is the perfect bike for these type trips. Only question is, how long before your brother gets one?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We didn't get Whitefish at Silver Creek this time, our cabin is in Paradise so we make homemade meals while there. I do get Whitefish there frequently during Snowmobile season.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Beautiful pics! I especially like the ones overlooking the lakes. Sounds and looks like you had a great adventure, thanks for sharing it with us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts