TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So I went out for a little ride yesterday and headed out to my usual parking lot to practice my usual low speed maunuevers and came up with a pretty fun, simple way to hone your skills. Its just a basic slalom using the the center spots in a parking lot. I had a great time the past few days working on it and can't wait to get back at it tomorrow. So my thinking was, I wonder if any of the other TW guys like to do this kinds of stuff, and if they, I wonder if we could start a sort of challenge thread with stuff like this. Basic stuff we can all do with little to no equipment cept for the bike and get some good training out of it. And have a little friendly competition while were at it. I'm kind of rambling but it seams like a fun idea in my head. So now anyone can post video replies to this, or just post times, and share any learning we gain from these drills. We can all sit back and say how awesome we are, becuase we do ride TWs so its pretty much true, but here we could show what we can do with our nimble little ladies. Anywho, here's my challenge to anyone who dares!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As an inexperienced driver, this is a great idea for me. I need to do more slow speed maneuvering drills. If I get a go pro like I plan this week I'll be sure to post.
Also an inexperienced rider, I have about 3 years and 7k miles under my belt so I have a long ways to go.

I remember watching an interview with Graham Jarvis and he said something to the effect of it being very important master going slow, speed comes with time.

Either way, head out to a parking lot and rough guess your time. I reckon the importance shouldn't be on your actual time but on control and improvement. Looking through and past corners and being set up for the next turn. It is some good cheap fun and it feels pretty cool building the confidence to lay the bike down and throw it through a corner. Not to say that I'm scraping pegs but I feel like Rossi so I guess that's what matters.

Do you guys think a recurring skills challenge is a good idea? Ideas for different challenges? I know its all basics but I figure everyone can benefit from either participating or watching others tirals and errors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also an inexperienced rider, I have about 3 years and 7k miles under my belt so I have a long ways to go.
Wow, I have owned motorcycles for 30 days now. Maybe have 1k miles between the 3 bikes. Damn man, 7k miles that's some good travel time! And I agree, I won't be looking to have any best times posted on the parking lot slalom challenge, my main intention will be to just get the low speed control.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
No, no, no, that's WAY too easy! Find a lot that has a concrete divider in the middle and THEN ride in and out of each slot! :p Hint: it's easier standing up with a little rear brake.

For variation on a non-divided lot, you can imagine each spot where the lines cross as a slalom marker, or even put some paper cups on them. Start parallel and 6 feet to one side of the dividing line, trying to keep an even distance on either side and crossing in the middle of the marks.
To me, the challenge in this kind of practice is not speed at all, but accuracy and consistency. It's pretty easy to nail the first three or four markers, but to keep that up for twenty is MUCH harder!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, no, no, that's WAY too easy! Find a lot that has a concrete divider in the middle and THEN ride in and out of each slot! :p Hint: it's easier standing up with a little rear brake.

For variation on a non-divided lot, you can imagine each spot where the lines cross as a slalom marker, or even put some paper cups on them. Start parallel and 6 feet to one side of the dividing line, trying to keep an even distance on either side and crossing in the middle of the marks.
To me, the challenge in this kind of practice is not speed at all, but accuracy and consistency. It's pretty easy to nail the first three or four markers, but to keep that up for twenty is MUCH harder!
So maybe the drill for next week or month can be a smaller tighter slalom... I like it... Lead the way...

I completely agree with standing for real tight corners. I feel like you can pretty consistently complete full circles within one parking spot and standing for this particular drill is kind of unnecessary. Just my two cents, and I'm not a professional rider so take that for what its worth.

Most importantly, after looking at Admirals picture I think I have a name for this little series...

THE TW-TT!!!

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I have done some of this.

Try making a u-turn in a parking spot without touching the ground. Try riding a white line real slow. Get into a race with a friend -- first guy to the finish line LOSES. First guy to touch the ground loses too. First guy to wander of the set course loses.

Find a parking lot that is inclined and slalom across the incline. Part of the time you are going up hill and part of the time down hill. Ditto for u-turns -- start going down hill and end up going up hill. Then vice versa. That is fun because you may have to slip the clutch to go slow enough going up hill to make the turn and brake lightly on the down hill side to keep from going to fast.

You should be able to make a u-turn inside a parking spot. Give it a try.

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
Neat.
Now master with both feet on pegs.
Then master same maneuvers while standing on pegs.
Experiment with weight transfer over forks while turning while standing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I always start out the season by going to a large empty parking lot and practicing exactly what you did in the video.
Low speed, tight turns, eyes up and looking where I want to go, keep between the lines and get a smooth flow.
I do it with each of my bikes because each one feels so different and I have to get comfortable again on them.

I go to the parking lot at the start of each ride for 4 or 5 rides and it always helps me get back in riding mode mentally.

I also practice stopping and going without putting my feet down to work on my balance, staying stopped as long as I can.

I haven't thought of timing it though, or of shooting video.
I like the idea!

Sorry, but I will pass on the LeMans start. ;)

If timing, I would suggest starting and finishing at the middle line instead of the end of the space.

Now that you are getting good you can challenge this rider:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ride well Mcycle training will not let you take you feet off the peg.
Great practice you are doing... I do that and bars to the lock turns and 8's.... I am not consistent but pretty good...

Will have to try what freddie says.... Standing....

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts