TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a thread I'm continuing where I'll post photo's of what I think are curious and interesting things which are just from some daily excursions.

In my original thread (http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/3830-updated-6-4-2012-railroad-depot-s-other-stuff-4.html), I was unable to change the title, so it always read (Updated 6/4/2012) which was not accurate anymore, hence the new thread.

So, I shall continue...

Payette, ID, The Depot That Isn't

"The Oregon Short Line Railroad depot was on the east side of the tracks. It was made of brick and stone, built in 1906, and because the railroad ceased operations in the area, it was demolished in November 1985. Just north of the depot, between 1st and 2nd Avenue North was Ethel Clausen's "Payette Hotel," offering room and board. http://payettecounty.info/marlow/growth.html"

This is where I think it use to be. It was the same style as Weiser, Id, Ontario, OR and Caldwell, ID. All four had the same design.

Why I think this is the spot. 1. The Flagpole 2. Old Postcards

Photo of it back in the day

While I was there...I noticed this Elk out in front of the Police Station.

While searching for Payette Railroad Depot photo's I ran across these others of the Elk. In the below picture, I think you are looking at the Elk from the Depot cause of the white posts, but I ain't sure, just a guess from looking at photo's

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WWII Half Track

Several years ago, I saw this old Army WWII half track (M2/M3?) in the middle of some farm country, but couldn't remember it's exact location. Finally, found it, and it wasn't that hard. I just don't travel in this area very often, especially on the TW. It can be seen to the north of Hwy 55 between Nampa/Caldwell, and Marsing, ID.

Of course it's not in it's original state anymore. The front window, doors and even the rear steel plates had been cut off and this metal welded to replecate the look. Still cool though.

Interesting Billboard for a seed company eh?

Hard to tell, but the bumper was extended out, so I think this model use to have a winch

As they use to say over the PA sytem in M.A.S.H. TV show..."That is all"

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
as a kid i had a half track toy that i inherited from my uncles, it was vintage 50's.... and yet not nearly as cool as your ride and seeing a real one.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Looking at the front of the train station in the post card I see houses in the background. How many of those houses are still there? Great before and after post card / picture.

WW2 stuff is so neat! I love it all!!!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Cool pics of the depot. I like halftracks, too. Isn't it great all the cool things you can find when you're out and about on your TW? Thanks for sharing this, Admiral. I look forward to seeing more.

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is one of our "other stuff" parts of this thread.

Trail 117, one of the trails into Loon Lake. The trail also allows motorcycle travel but for the life of me, I have no idea why. It was extremely heinous going over the saddle from the Warren Wagon Road side over to the Loon Lake side of the ridge. Mrs. Admiral has some great photo's too but I have to download them. We did see at least 1 recent motorcycle track and some relatively nice hikers, who appeared would tolerate mule shit on the trail. :p Motorcycle rider has steel balls to ride this trail over the saddle. The rest of the trail was rough but doable if running from the law!
This was a smooth part of the trail

Relaxing views near camp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts