TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best place to order parts? I feel like I have been shooting in the dark, hit and miss, when ordering parts online. I have been getting some items like oil filters, spark plugs, and headlight bulbs from vendors on EBay. I have also ordered air filters, screws, carb gaskets from different shops around the country, some good experiences and others not so good. Right now I am looking for a "Pilot Box, Upper", the dummy indicator light cover for my 2008. I saw an Ad from OEM Cycle, price seems fair at about $32, but have no idea their service and reputation. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy items like these that cannot be found on EBay? How about certain EBay vendors? Thanks.

-Don

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
There really is no easy way around parts shopping online. What I do is start making a list of the items I need and items I want. Then go to three to five different websites and start pricing everything out. You will often actually have to 'checkout' to see what they are going to charge for shipping, that is usually the deal breaker. Sometimes I will just add a part I want, not really need, to push the order over a price threshold to get free shipping. Usually but not always ordering online can be cheaper if you don't have to pay taxes and can get reasonable shipping. My local dealership is run by a bunch of @#$#% heads and I won't do business with them, but always try to support local stores if I can. Sorry guys, you just gotta do your homework to get good deals. I typically start by looking at sites like stadiumyamaha.com motorcycle-superstore.com powersportsplus.com compacc.com boats.net (yes they sell bike parts)

I'm sure other members can add to the endless list of parts suppliers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd like some ideas on this as well.

I've used the usual suspects. Dennis Kirk, Rocky Mountain. For my Yamaha needs, I really like PowersportsPlus.com. They consistently have the best price, don't gouge you on shipping, usually have the parts in stock, and offer genuine Yamaha. Stadium Yamaha is my second choice, but they are higher priced. Stadium Yamaha has prices closer to what my local dealers offer. Would not surprised me to find the dealers were getting their items from PowersportsPlus like I do. PowersportsPlus can be slow getting the item shipped out (I placed my last order Friday, Monday was a holiday so it actually shipped Tuesday, and I hope to get it Friday).

For more generic / universal stuff, I'm fond of the i5motorcycle store on eBay.

·
Registered
125 Posts
No doubt, PowersportsPlus. I order from the every week for various bikes I'm restoring in my shop. I see people recommend Rocky Mountain ATV a lot. They are awesome for aftermarket stuff but are about 30 percent higher on OEM parts than Powersports Plus is.

For aftermarket, no one beats Dennis Kirk.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Those that don't search for past threads are doomed to repeat them over and over and over

There are about 74ish posts on this board about where to get parts Every one of my 500 some posts has a sig at the bottom that shows how to search this site.

Do not use the search box on this site, it's far from perfect. What do you want from a free message board anyway?

There is tons of great info in here and since everything can't be pinned.............. This board has been online for quite awhile so just assume someone else has asked your question before and find it. Don't hesitate to bring a ancient thread back to life.

Anyone know a source for custom Japanese parts in San Francisco ..

Another board I belong to has a tech index table. It makes finding things sooooo easy.. Someone just has to find the time and knowledge to pull it off here.

http://toyotavanpeop....php?f=2&t=5264

You just scroll down to what you want to find and click.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Rich, maybe it's another "just me" thing, but when I search the forum as your link suggests I only get hits from the old board. I have to specifically search the sub-forum, i.e. site:tw200forum.com/index.php?/forum/4-general-discussion/ "how to search". Perhaps others have this issue as well.

It looks like we were due for another where to buy parts thread anyway. For giggles I just searched through all those links for procycle and received no hits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are the best place to order parts? I feel like I have been shooting in the dark, hit and miss, when ordering parts online. I have been getting some items like oil filters, spark plugs, and headlight bulbs from vendors on EBay. I have also ordered air filters, screws, carb gaskets from different shops around the country, some good experiences and others not so good. Right now I am looking for a "Pilot Box, Upper", the dummy indicator light cover for my 2008. I saw an Ad from OEM Cycle, price seems fair at about $32, but have no idea their service and reputation. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy items like these that cannot be found on EBay? How about certain EBay vendors? Thanks.

-Don

I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply with ordering parts tips! This TDubber community makes owning one even better. Also thanks to Rich for the search tip. It has been very frustrating getting the message back on the forum search cannot be completed with less than a 4 letter word. I said a few 4 letter words after several search attempts. Also, I want to acknowledge Ayers Garage here on the forum who I found first on EBay and ordered carb float bowl hex screws and carb shims a few weeks ago. Made it very easy for me and shipped the very next morning! I have a story how I got back into motorcycles after 30+ years and perhaps should share. My wife mimics me like Dana Carvey - your not 16, 17, 18 anymore, your not 20, 21, 22... OK - I'm off to order parts!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think there are a lot of great vendors out there. I'd like to throw my site out there, too. I manage sales and customer service for Perfmoto.com. We have a great site but do most of our sales on Ebay and Amazon. Since I'm a T-dub owner, I hope I'm not breaking any rules by "advertising" on the forum.

http://www.perfmoto.com/

http://stores.ebay.com/PERF-MOTO?_rdc=1

We can sell OEM parts but we're not very competitive since I'm not a Yamaha dealer. However, I can offer great pricing, free shipping (in most cases), no restock fees, and just about every part offered by Parts Unlimited, Tucker Rocky, Marshall Distributing, Western Powersports, Sullivans, Helmet House, and we have accounts with a whole lot of other suppliers. We also own the Dainese D-store in Chicago.

If I can help with any parts, shoot me an email. It's [email protected]. Mention the forum so I can give you special TW attention. If I get enough response, I'll make a promo code for forum members. I won't be able to post it due to advertising policies, but I can email it upon request.

Thanks for the plug.

Snoop

·
Registered
566 Posts
Snoop, I haven't seen that you're breaking a rule. That you're willing to openly tell us what you're doing instead of sneaking it in makes it OK in my book.

I saved you as a seller on ebay. With free shipping, you have the best price on Pro Taper High ATV bars I've found and I'll likely be ordering a set soon. So thank you for your shameless plug

·
Registered
26 Posts
Snoop, I haven't seen that you're breaking a rule. That you're willing to openly tell us what you're doing instead of sneaking it in makes it OK in my book.

I saved you as a seller on ebay. With free shipping, you have the best price on Pro Taper High ATV bars I've found and I'll likely be ordering a set soon. So thank you for your shameless plug

I assume you mean these:

http://www.perfmoto.com/pro-taper/controls/contour-atv-high-handlebars/handlebars?iwd=9072

Email me and I'll shoot you a 10% off promo code if you buy at the website. Saves me money since I don't pay Ebay fees and you'll save a few more $'s. Shipping is free since it's over $50. You can use credit card or Paypal. Thanks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Mmmm... Actually I was looking at the SE series. I'm just going by what's popular. I kind of live in the sticks so trying out bars in a showroom is not an option. That's a great deal, thank you. Email coming.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Rich, maybe it's another "just me" thing, but when I search the forum as your link suggests I only get hits from the old board...
My wife surprised me with an Android tablet. Turns out it was just me as I get hits on the new board with the tablet.

...If I can help with any parts, shoot me an email. It's [email protected]. Mention the forum so I can give you special TW attention. If I get enough response, I'll make a promo code for forum members. I won't be able to post it due to advertising policies, but I can email it upon request...

I have some info on this. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts