TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to buy a headlight stay (metal bracket that holds the headlight and cowling) for my '99 TW and the original part is no longer available and the used eBay items are expensive and all bent.

Does anyone here know whether this part changed pre-2001 and post-2001? They are different part #s online but they look exactly the same on the parts diagram. If they are the same, I'll just pick up a late model one for my early model bike. The post-2001 parts diagram is on the left.

-Sam
Screenshot_20200321-172342.jpg

·
Registered
20,192 Posts
While the parts fiche certainly seem to use the same graphic I would think it is safe to assume the actual brackets are the same for both TW generations. I do not think the 2001 change from front drum to disc entailed a change in the triple clamps but I may be very wrong.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While the parts fiche certainly seem to use the same graphic I would think it is safe to assume the actual brackets are the same for both TW generations. I do not think the 2001 change from front drum to disc entailed a change in the triple clamps but I may be very wrong.
I may wait a day for others to chime in, but I am inclined to agree with you. That would make my life a lot easier.

-Sam

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Hey Sam,

I think that you'll be okay with the newer headlight frame. The only difference in the two illustrations that I can see is that the earlier version on the right shows a small appendage on the bracket on the lower right of the drawing that protrudes above the tubular frame, while the newer version on the left does not show this appendage.

Also, for what it's worth, I just checked on my 1987 parts bike and it does not actually have this appendage and appears to be like the left hand illustration rather than the one on the right.

Do either of your bikes still have this frame that you could check to see if that appendage is actually present and if it serves a vital purpose?

Brian

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Sam,

I think that you'll be okay with the newer headlight frame. The only difference in the two illustrations that I can see is that the earlier version on the right shows a small appendage on the bracket on the lower right of the drawing that protrudes above the tubular frame, while the newer version on the left does not show this appendage.

Also, for what it's worth, I just checked on my 1987 parts bike and it does not actually have this appendage and appears to be like the left hand illustration rather than the one on the right.

Do either of your bikes still have this frame that you could check to see if that appendage is actually present and if it serves a vital purpose?

Brian
Brian,

I just checked my '93 and it does NOT have the upper appendage either so I think I am good to go. I think you spotted a flaw in the original drawings, which I bet were hand done when the bike was first designed. The later drawings appear to be from CAD files since they are much smoother and I bet they made a few corrections when they did them. Good catch. Thanks.

-Sam

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received my post-2000 headlight stay in the mail the other day and there IS a difference between the earlier and later models. The mounting bolt holes in the fork are narrower on the older bikes than they are on the newer bikes. Still, I'm grateful to have a new part instead of one of the overpriced and beat up eBay specials. I'll just have to do a little modification work to make it fit. The offset is only about 1/4 total so I may be able to split the different and with a little judicious bending make it fit. Wish me luck!

-Sam

IMG_20200329_101430.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The part fit perfectly with a little bending and when I took a closer look at a pre-2001 headlight stay I couldn't see any discernible difference. I don't understand why they have different part numbers because they seem to be interchangeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts