TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cleaning out my carb (twice), my bike (a 2000, old style cylindrical slide carb) is acting up again and I want to replace my pilot jet. I have found a few places online where the prices vary from ~$7-12 for a #40 pilot jet but since I am a tightwad when it comes to some things, I refuse to pay $8-10 for shipping for something that can be put into an envelope and mailed for 50 cents. Where do you guys buy your small parts like these where the shipping isn't so outrageous for something so small? Or does anyone have one, a #40 or maybe even a #42, I can buy from you and pay you for "shipping"?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My local scumbag motorcycle dealer, who doesn't sell Yamahas, wants $26.73 to get me this $7-8 part, and another one 30 miles away wants $22.50, to get the part from a Yamaha warehouse in an adjoining state, so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and order one online for $16.48. It would probably be cheaper and easier to get a 1/64in. or a 2.5mm drill bit and drill mine out to get it clean and play with the size. (J/K).

·
Super Moderator
17,996 Posts
Don't drill it. Buy the OEM part, it will save you hours of possible frustration.
My local scumbag motorcycle dealer, who doesn't sell Yamahas, wants $26.73 to get me this $7-8 part, and another one 30 miles away wants $22.50, to get the part from a Yamaha warehouse in an enjoining state, so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and order one online for $16.48. It would probably be cheaper and easier to get a 1/64in. or a 2.5mm drill bit and drill mine out to get it clean and play with the size. (J/K).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It would probably be cheaper and easier to get a 1/64in. or a 2.5mm drill bit and drill mine out to get it clean and play with the size. (J/K).
I do not have a chart of Yamaha jet orifices.
It is simple with H-D, as Keihin CV40 pilot jets stock are a 42, which is .42 mm (0.0165 inch). Richer is a 45, which is .45 mm (0.0177 inch)
A 180 main jet is 1.8 mm.

So, if you drill your pilot to 2.5 mm (25% larger than a Sportster 1200 Sport main jet), if it starts, you would get a cloud of black smoke and foul the spark plug.

If your pilot jet is gunky, gently clean it out with a safety pin.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Patzilla is what I use they will have the better end of pricing on the part and they are like $7 on small orders

$149 and over is free shipping to if you are considering a factory service manual or other TW parts this may be a good time to buy $149 worth to get the free shipping

Stadium Yamaha was a notorious scammer on shipping but so are 99% of the only bike parts sellers

·
Registered
285 Posts
Time to go through your bike and do a thorough inspection and replace all the old grommets that have gotten hard, carb lines that break when they are bent, oil filters, gearing changes, and any other items that need to be replaced. I’d say it’s a great time to order that Kickstarter parts group but you have a year 2000. Even if you don’t reach the $149.00 lower limit to get free shipping, the amount you do pay for shipping will be spread out over numerous items. Besides, it’s fun buying stuff for a TW!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Partzilla wants $8 to ship their $10 jet, You know how small these things are, and I just feel that is insane.
There are a number of places online that sell carb kits with all the jets, needles, screws, gaskets, etc, to completely redo my Teikei slide carb, but they all have the main jet as a 116 (mine is a stock 114) and their pilot is a 38 (my stock is a 40). I could go up on the main one size and it might even make the bike run better, but I an concerned about the slightly smaller pilot maybe making the bike harder to start or idle and run at low speeds. Any thoughts on this? None of the suppliers would change what is in their kits. The advantage of getting the whole kit is that everything gets renewed, and also they only cost a few dollars more than just buying one or two jets.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
SportsterDoc - The 2.5mm and the 1/64th diameters are measurements I got off a site that has conversion numbers for the jet sizes (Jets R Us Drill size decimal equivalents). The 1/64th should be corrected, it is actually 0.098in. Jet sizes are not interchangeable with different carbs, but this is the size for my carb and my bike. There are other things that come into play depending on the size and shape of the carb, the amount of vacuum it can draw, etc. and I doubt my carb would work in your Harley, even if the pilot jet is the same size.

I can get a fine wire through it (the wire from inside a twist tie) after wiggling it around, and easily squirt carb cleaner through it and blow through it, but if I look through it, it seems that there is some kind of obstruction in the center of it halfway down it's length. The ends of the jet are each large enough to get a pin through it, but the pin won't pass through the middle of the jet. So, I was thinking of replacing it with a new one.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
SportsterDoc - The 2.5mm and the 1/64th diameters are measurements I got off a site that has conversion numbers for the jet sizes (Jets R Us Drill size decimal equivalents). The 1/64th should be corrected, it is actually 0.098in.
There is no way that a TW carb pilot size would be larger than the main jet on a Harley-Davidson 1200 Sport. I saw the drill size/diameter chart, but did not see sizes per jet number.
The main point is that drilling out the pilot jet to 1/64th is way too large.

If it were to be drilled, it would be best to do on a lathe. Even on a lathe, I drilled a H-D main jet to 2.0 mm and ended up actually at 2.03 mm.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I can get a fine wire through it (the wire from inside a twist tie) after wiggling it around, and easily squirt carb cleaner through it and blow through it, but if I look through it, it seems that there is some kind of obstruction in the center of it halfway down it's length. The ends of the jet are each large enough to get a pin through it, but the pin won't pass through the middle of the jet. So, I was thinking of replacing it with a new one.
A new jet would be best. If it were a roadside repair, I'd work on it with a safety pin.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The stock 2000 tw200 pilot jet for the Teikei carb is a #40, regardless of what's in the Harley.
I am not serious about drilling out my pilot jet, I threw that out as being sarcastic.
I am going to order the pilot jet, I was just trying to ask those that rejeted their carbs and have more knowledge than me, if anyone thought there would be a difference in using a #38 pilot and a #116 main that comes in the kit instead of a #40 and #114 that is stock.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before I order either just the #40 pilot or the kit, can anyone shed some light on the change from my stock 40 pilot and 114 main jet to a 38 and 116 that comes in the kits?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Here’s some thoughts but maybe not some light. If the kits don’t use OEM jets than their are some feelings that the numbers don’t coincide. In other words those kit numbers may be the same size as the OEM jets but have a different number. If they do coincide than a #38 pilot will be smaller and leaner. Likewise the #116 main jet will be richer, why not spend the bucks and get OEM jets in several sizes to rejetting with unless you don’t ever change altitude. If you don’t change altitude you could at least dial it in for where you are with several sizes of each. My jetting wasn’t correct so I needed to buy some sizes to get it correct.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My local scumbag motorcycle dealer, who doesn't sell Yamahas, wants $26.73 to get me this $7-8 part, and another one 30 miles away wants $22.50, to get the part from a Yamaha warehouse in an adjoining state, so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and order one online for $16.48. It would probably be cheaper and easier to get a 1/64in. or a 2.5mm drill bit and drill mine out to get it clean and play with the size. (J/K).
Keep in mind that your "local scumbag motorcycle dealer" has to pay for shipping too, is in business to make a profit, and has no obligation to go out of his way for someone else's customer riding a bike he doesn't sell or support. Just sayin':)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would ordinarily agree with you - But, my local dealer also handles golf carts and ATVs and has the reputation of being a ripoff artist and having exorbitantly high prices, for anything, as well as poor service. It's hard to believe they're still in business, but it's the only game in town.
I was trying to find the jet locally but I had to order the pilot and main jet online, will take a week to get here but that's life.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just serviced my Polaris 850 quad. Since it’s difficult to get oil through the mail I went to the local rip-off motorcycle dealer down the road and purchased what I need. I had to get a new battery, engine oil, tranny oil, front diff oil, rear diff oil, and two spark plugs. It came to $280.00. Holly crap! Oil has gotten expensive! I ended up returning the two spark plugs and one quart of oil they over sold me and got $55.00 back.
While I was there I got a price on new brake pads. They quoted me about $120.00 including the tax. I came home and ordered them off eBay and I paid $54.00 total, to my house.
They have to charge enough to stay in business, but they are known as major rip-offs. Especially their service department. But that’s another story....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts