TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This little bike is a champ! I really love the versatility of it, for me the best description is fun! Looking forward to putting thousands more miles in her. I am now a tDub evangelist! 

·
Registered
502 Posts
Congratulations! Now get that smile off your face. lol

I'm at 600. 350 on one, and 250 on the other. Same reaction.

Be safe

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Must be nice to have a new bike... my old '93 has over 11K on the clock. She's still runnin' though! Old TW's never die!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am 100 miles away from turning over 7000 miles on my 2008. I am beginning my 4th season on a motorcycle. The valves haven't needed adjusting yet. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It practically drove itself to a perfect score on my road skills test last Friday. I could never have accomplished that at my experience level on a bigger bike. I will admit I do practice slow riding a lot. Figure eights, tight u-turns, and fast stops.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I noticed my bike at 5,553.4 miles today. Darn, I should have gone 1.6 miles further. (o;.. My wife and I had a great 55 mile run today on mostly gravel roads.. Loved it. OMM.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
1000 miles in one day? On a TW? You must have a world class case of monkey butt. Or a hellova custom saddle.

Phelonius

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, just on the odometer.... Sorry for the confusion, I've only had it for a few months, I can tell you that will never do 1000k in one go on any bike!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Bunchawimps. You oughta ride Hondas or something. Tdub and I did Saginaw TX to Saluda NC via Arlington and Spartanburg, 1028 miles in 22 hours. Stock seat, whiteys, jeans, and mesh gear. Started with a pair of bicycle pants, but they bunched up and hurt--tossed them at the first gas stop. Dumped the luggage on the porch and hit the twisties: Howard Gap Road/Lynn Road//US176/US25/Mountain Summit Road/Terry Creek Road/Greenville Watershed, another 58 miles.

There are strategies to survivng long rides. First, position your butt so that there is just enough forward lean of the upper body so that the wind supports the upper body. This allows muscles to relax and conform, rather than meet force with force. Second, use both sets of pegs, which changes the pressure points. Third, to help maintain speed, tuck on the uphills, left elbow resting on the switch at the base of the left mirror, forearm parallel to the crossbar. This also shifts pressure points, stretches the lower back muscles, and promotes relaxation. Finally, when traffic slows progress, stand up. Change positions often to prolong your riding pleasure.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Qwerty, I'm more of a fan of trails, forest service roads and backroads, so 1000 miles would take me forever. For me, half of the fun is checking out what I'm riding through, blasting down the highway is really not enjoyable for me, especially on a wound up TW200, but to each his own. Now if you're talking about length of time on a bike and not distance, then I have no problem riding all day, I'll use some of your techniques to keep my ass from getting numb!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I've done 500+ mile days on dirt roads, too. Consecutive days to Alaska before the Alcan was paved. I like to ride dawn to dusk. Learning to relax on the bike and being proactive with comfort strategies makes consecutive 16-hour days possible. Sometimes people are amazed when they notice I rarely hold on to the handgrips--usually I just pay attention to maintaining a well-balanced, restful body position, rest my hands atop the bars, and let the bike do the work, even offroad. Most any motorcycle will pretty much ride itself if you let it, rather than force it to do things your way.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I've done 500+ mile days on dirt roads, too. Consecutive days to Alaska before the Alcan was paved. I like to ride dawn to dusk. Learning to relax on the bike and being proactive with comfort strategies makes consecutive 16-hour days possible. Sometimes people are amazed when they notice I rarely hold on to the handgrips--usually I just pay attention to maintaining a well-balanced, restful body position, rest my hands atop the bars, and let the bike do the work, even offroad. Most any motorcycle will pretty much ride itself if you let it, rather than force it to do things your way.

What he said above.

Phelonius

1 - 14 of 14 Posts