TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Florida we must pass the Basic Rider Course before we can get the motorcycle endorsement on our license. This weekend I took and passed the course, and it was way easier than I thought it would be. Now I can begin commuting to work, about 20 miles of highway riding into town.

You guys got any tips for my further riding education?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Congratulations on your new license. We just had a long time rider lose a leg because he didn't look again before a left turn and got hit by a van. The van was behind another car he was waiting for to go, when the car went by he left not seeing the van in the far lane. It broadsided him. Do not be in a hurry and never relax your efforts to be safe. Be wary of everything out there, there are some people that just do not see motorcycles. Take care and enjoy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congrats!!!! I think it should be like that in all states. I had my licence when I took the BRC and learned a TON. It may even have saved my skin a couple times.

As far as further education....Off-road school! Nothing teaches you better balance than sliding the tires around in the dirt

I've done
BRC
Motocross School (still take lessons)
American Supercamp (VERY cool, will be back)
Rawhyde Adventure Bike School (Epic!)

Would love to:
Track Day/School
Trials School
Enduro School

Having fun is the most important thing!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My summation of riding motorcycles safely is "avoidance". Knowing where every vehicle is around you, know where the blind spots are around those vehicles and avoid the blind spots, look to see if the other drivers around you are looking at you and know you are there, thus stressing my great dislike for tinted windows in vehicles.
Mel

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congratulations and a great achievement. I am an instructor for the MSF and teach the BRC course here on the west coast of FL. I hope you had an informative educational experience and have the confidence to handle your bike safely on the open ride. Remember SEE ... search, evaluate and execute!! I thoroughly enjoy teaching these classes and feel a great sense of achievement when students respond with how much they have learned ... whether thery are a novice or experienced rider. My advice to you know would be to continue those skills taught on your own bike in a quite neighbourhood or empyt parking lot. THere is only so much we can squeeze into the curriculum and so we recommend that you practice, practice and practice until you feel confident in your own handling of your motorcycle. Also check the MSF website or with the school you did your BRC with as a one day experienced class is offered where you continue to develop your skills using your own bike, along with other great classes. Be safe and be seen!!
Zoe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will indeed keep practicing. And I will not forget SEE, I think its a great way to approach the road, in any vehicle. I'd say the class was definitely worth the time and money, I'm very happy I've done it.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Here is something I really pay attention to............................... Dogs and deer.... Really they are so dangerous and unpredictable. Don't ever take things for granted.... If you see movement on the side of the road. S-L-O-W- down. Some dogs make a sport out of chasing you.. OMM.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Everything that was said above, as well as ESCAPE ZONES! Watch traffic coming up from behind you at traffic stops, and be ready to move past the vehicle sitting in front of you! When coming up to a stop light, I move to the side where the best escape zone is and am ready to take it if needed! I just had to use this a week ago, saved my butt! Constant monitoring whats going on up ahead of you, and ride knowing your invisible to the vehicles on the road!

Speed - It's over rated! As OMM stated above, SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!

Congrats on getting your endorsement! Be safe, and don't let your guard down!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Congrats! Great info to keep in mind below. One thing I always like to point out, ride your own ride, don't let your new friends influence you to ride unsafe.

Congratulations and a great achievement. I am an instructor for the MSF and teach the BRC course here on the west coast of FL. I hope you had an informative educational experience and have the confidence to handle your bike safely on the open ride. Remember SEE ... search, evaluate and execute!! I thoroughly enjoy teaching these classes and feel a great sense of achievement when students respond with how much they have learned ... whether thery are a novice or experienced rider. My advice to you know would be to continue those skills taught on your own bike in a quite neighbourhood or empyt parking lot. THere is only so much we can squeeze into the curriculum and so we recommend that you practice, practice and practice until you feel confident in your own handling of your motorcycle. Also check the MSF website or with the school you did your BRC with as a one day experienced class is offered where you continue to develop your skills using your own bike, along with other great classes. Be safe and be seen!!
Zoe

Reactions: 5chord

·
Registered
58 Posts
All good advice. As a new rider myself, I can say, read, read, read as much as you can. But also, don't let over analyzing paralyze you. Get out there and ride, ride, ride (within your limits!). There's no substitute for experience. PS: congrats on getting your license.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got my MAF last weekend and got my new license last Wednesday. I have been riding MB since I was a kid, but I did learn a lot during the course. One thing that had me puzzled though, was why the final riding test requires you to be proficient at swerving to the right, but now I think I have the answer: If you are riding behind a vehicle, the best position to be is in such a way that that driver sees you in two of his/her mirrors, in other words, following the tire tracks, and somehow being the right side the preferred one, so if that vehicle suddenly breaks, you will be conditioned to do a quick swerve to the right and save you bacon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulations Eli,

I am a 28 year veteran police officer and 15 of those years as a motorcycle officer. The TW is an excellent choice. The best advice that I can give you is to always expect, and be prepared, for everyone to pull out in front of you. That includes vehicles, people and animals. Never stay in a drivers blind spot, never ride above your ability and always leave yourself an exit.

The TW is such a awesome looking bike....so remember this..."The slower you go, the longer people get to look at you on your bike."

Enjoy and God be with you.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Enjoy! Like someone else said: ride like your invisible, always be scanning the road, driveways, intersections. Riding in the dirt, gravel, sand is great for balance. If you have a local dry creek bed nearby, go there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts