TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
We lost any semblance of balance in academia. For the last 30 years our children have been taught via public education that the US is the root cause of the worlds troubles. The twenty somethings of today have no knowledge of the good that America has done across the globe. Because of this, patriotism is viewed as supportive of the evil our nation has done. We have let both our youth and our brave forefathers down.

Tom

·
Registered
283 Posts
Done with the NFL, not that i was a huge watcher, but im all set now. Think im even gonna skip the superbowl for the first time ever. Things have gone so far left i cant keep ignoring it. No one will notice or care but maybe if more people boycotted companies that perpetuated this crap, something would maybe change...maybe.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Papa Johns Pizza noticed.
Their sales are down and there was a whoopty doo in the news about the founder saying a decrease in viewers and fewer gatherings to watch the game are why.

Sounds about right since football watching has been going down every year for the last 4 years according to the rating companies.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been a pro football fan for as long as I can remember. I decided that "taking a knee" to the NFL was the least I could do to lodge my protest against this anti-Americanism. I haven't watched a single nfl game this year, nor any program that has anything to do with pro football. I even make sure when my tv is not being used, it is not on a channel that is broadcasting a game. ..........and guess what???? I DO NOT MISS IT WHATSOEVER!!!!! DONE DEAL!!!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I really enjoy football but have not watched a pro game since this nonsense started last year. I would like to know of another "workplace" where you can protest and subject your fellow workers to your political beliefs and it be condoned. Much of the problem with pro football players is that the high schools and colleges gave them everything that they want to succeed in football. What they did not give them is the education that they needed to succeed in life. Poor decisions and poor grades were dealt with for them because their talent on the field benefited these institutions of "learning". Now large spoiled children who never contributed one iota of service to this country can insult, or at the very least make feel uncomfortable, the ones that do. Hopefully poor decisions will continue to equal poor ratings. Hopefully even the people who have continued to watch pro football can join the rest of us only for next weekend, Veterans Day weekend. ( I am not a veteran, but they will always have my deepest gratitude and support).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Most workplaces don’t play the national anthem before work?. A pity because I can’t protest my cause of the week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With their notoriety and fame these players could easily arrange press conferences to deliver their message off the field.
With their salaries and endorsements these players could easily contribute time and money to fund programs to address perceived injustices off the field.
With their lucrative contracts these players could simply move and retire to another country they think is more just.
With a little common sense these players could realize they are alienating and evaporating much of their fan base.

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At this rate the NFL may well join a long list of failed leagues, shattered dreams and lost fortunes:

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
Well, let’s slow down here a little bit – at least one of those players was in the Army – I was looking into this earlier and came across someone saying - “I haven’t stood for the anthem since I left the Army” - (presumably, in his Army days, he didn’t have much choice)

And therein lies the problem – if you give someone the choice, and they refuse, there’s not much you can do about it. Sure, you can fire them, Trump can voice his displeasure (as usual), or you can watch the NFL go down the toilet because of their actions

But if you fire them, expect a claim for unfair dismissal (because unless standing up for the anthem is on their contract, you have even less of a leg to stand on than the players do) – and as for Trump, they’re just going to quote the constitution at him

As far as I’m concerned, what they do in their own time is their own business – but what they do on the teams time in public wearing team colours is much much more

Personal sponsorships will be lost, and ultimately team sponsorships, as few companies wish to be involved with “dissing America”

But what does the employer (the team concerned) do to fix this – other than to invite everyone to re-apply for their job, and write into the new contract “compliance” – risking loosing half of your players

You could try addressing the issues they are protesting about – “black lives matter” – but frankly, that one will take generations, if it’s even achievable. White on white and nobody cares – white on black, and entire cities riot, and not only yours.

The way this is going to play out, is that it will ultimately (and inevitably) ruin the NFL in the eyes of the public – and there’s nothing anyone can do about it – the “self-destruct” sequence has been initiated, only the countdown remains …….

·
Registered
84 Posts
My take. These protests are largely black players protesting how police treat blacks differently than whites (disagree here if you must). This has been a complaint by members of the black community for decades (my first memories are associated with Rodney King: forum members of other ages probably remember other first events). My perception of this current round of complaints is that whites may have given a little attention after each of the higher profile events (like Rodney King), but the fervor has been very short lived. After decades of the black community crying out about the treatment, the NFL players seem to have finally found a forum to air their grievances so that the white community at large is actually paying attention for more than a week or two. To my eye, they are not protesting the flag or our soldiers (see the actual words of the SF QB that started this). I think they are protesting to those in power. And they are doing it in front of a lot of white people's eyes while we watch the NFL games. This forces us to see people who are actively showing their unhappiness with their treatment. Uncomfortable to most of us, but important to them. I suggest it would be important to more of us whites, if that unfair targeted treatment happened to more of us whites.

Not trying to crap on anyone's posts, feelings or ideas here. Seriously. I just wanted to share my own.

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
Fair comment – nicely put

But the NFL will ultimately pay the price for this sort of “publicity” – “collateral damage” ?

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A lot of the public seems to forget that many of the “injustices” championed by the media typically involve the aftermath of someone refusing to comply with, or acknowledge police authority while law enforcement is attempting to intercede with an ongoing criminal activity.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
My take. These protests are largely black players protesting how police treat blacks differently than whites (disagree here if you must). This has been a complaint by members of the black community for decades (my first memories are associated with Rodney King: forum members of other ages probably remember other first events). My perception of this current round of complaints is that whites may have given a little attention after each of the higher profile events (like Rodney King), but the fervor has been very short lived. After decades of the black community crying out about the treatment, the NFL players seem to have finally found a forum to air their grievances so that the white community at large is actually paying attention for more than a week or two. To my eye, they are not protesting the flag or our soldiers (see the actual words of the SF QB that started this). I think they are protesting to those in power. And they are doing it in front of a lot of white people's eyes while we watch the NFL games. This forces us to see people who are actively showing their unhappiness with their treatment. Uncomfortable to most of us, but important to them. I suggest it would be important to more of us whites, if that unfair targeted treatment happened to more of us whites.

Not trying to crap on anyone's posts, feelings or ideas here. Seriously. I just wanted to share my own.
While I appreciate where you are coming from I simply can't find any statistics that back up these claims of rampant mistreatment of blacks by law enforcement. Incidents of such, YES. Systemic mistreatment NO. I also believe that most decent people see the difficulties that law enforcement officials face daily and sympathize with them more so than they sympathize with the loud mouthed disrespectful criminals. Just spend one evening binge watching any of the police ride along programs and tell me how much YOU could take. Until ALL communities, black, white or Hispanic begin to police themselves and then take an active roll in helping law enforcement remove the undesirables this crap will continue. Until the media realizes that sensationalizing these stories to fit a predetermined narrative is tearing our communities apart at the seams things will get worse.

As a veteran I could care less if these spoiled brats stand, kneel, lie down or do cartwheels during the anthem. They will be judged by their customers accordingly. What is offensive TO ME is the intellectual dishonesty of their protests. Does ANYONE here actually believe these men would be open to an honest discussion about the problems facing the black communities? Could we agree on even a single course of action let alone the complex series of efforts that would be required to make even the smallest dent? I'm willing to give it a go but the first time I hear the term "white privilege" the gloves come off.

Tom

·
Registered
827 Posts
On the field, those players are 'on the clock' so to speak. They should be doing exactly what they are paid to do. If want to protest, then do it on their own time, not at their employer's expense.
NEXT
Why should the anthem be played at games anyways? The players certainly haven't earned the right to align themselves with the symbolism. Until something like 1991, the players didn't take the field until AFTER the anthem was played. That's when the federal government PAID the NFL to field the players before the anthem was played.

·
Registered
127 Posts
While I appreciate where you are coming from I simply can't find any statistics that back up these claims of rampant mistreatment of blacks by law enforcement. Incidents of such, YES. Systemic mistreatment NO. I also believe that most decent people see the difficulties that law enforcement officials face daily and sympathize with them more so than they sympathize with the loud mouthed disrespectful criminals. Just spend one evening binge watching any of the police ride along programs and tell me how much YOU could take. Until ALL communities, black, white or Hispanic begin to police themselves and then take an active roll in helping law enforcement remove the undesirables this crap will continue. Until the media realizes that sensationalizing these stories to fit a predetermined narrative is tearing our communities apart at the seams things will get worse.

As a veteran I could care less if these spoiled brats stand, kneel, lie down or do cartwheels during the anthem. They will be judged by their customers accordingly. What is offensive TO ME is the intellectual dishonesty of their protests. Does ANYONE here actually believe these men would be open to an honest discussion about the problems facing the black communities? Could we agree on even a single course of action let alone the complex series of efforts that would be required to make even the smallest dent? I'm willing to give it a go but the first time I hear the term "white privilege" the gloves come off.

Tom

whenever I hear the words white privilege all I hear is some jealousy and a lack of willingness to work hard for something you want. Personally I've worked my ass off to get where I am at in life and have nobody to thank but myself and the loving support of my wife. Screw the NFL and their cry-baby shenanigans

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Papa Johns Pizza noticed.
Their sales are down and there was a whoopty doo in the news about the founder saying a decrease in viewers and fewer gatherings to watch the game are why.

Sounds about right since football watching has been going down every year for the last 4 years according to the rating companies.
I think it began going down hill with the conviction of Michael Vick for Animal Cruelty and dog fighting. If you have seen the list of Pro FB Players showing all of their criminal convictions it becomes crystal clear that NFL stands for the National Felons League. It should be no wonder why all these millionaire cry babies hate the cops and hate this country with as many of them who go afoul of the laws once they become ridiculously rich.

For a Canine Analogy of this entire situation, Dogs must learn it is a bad idea to bite the hands that feed them. DirecTV had to refund millions of subscriptions for the NFL Sunday Ticket package they sell. I was one of them and we have not watched a game all year and will not watch the "Stupid Bowl" either.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts

Tom
For those who rely upon the factual statistics we must ask ourselves, If Blacks are just 12% of the US population why is it that over 50% of all the crimes are committed by blacks? Why is the prison population throughout the entire country over 50% black? If you look at other factual statistics you just might find the answers. The incidence of Single Parent homes where Blacks are concerned are through the roof. I can say without one bit of reservation had I NOT had a father to keep me in line in my teen years my career in the prison system likely would have been spent on the wrong side of the bars. It took me a long time to get over butting heads with my father but a much longer time to understand it was a very necessary evil in my life. Those who lacked the guidance of a father figure in their formative years who could and would slap some sense into our testosterone filled heads missed out on one of life's most important lessons. Thank you Dad.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts