TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was filling up my monstrous vehicle with gasoline and a man at the pump just over from me asked for help. He said he needed some gas to get back home and he had no money. I was feeling pretty damn giving for no reason in particular and filled his tank for him. He said he would post me money and I told him to forget about it, just remember generosity. I thought to myself how lucky he was to have asked the right person at the right time. My girlfriend was in the car and expressed her confusion and displeasure, as gas is very expensive and I had helped out a stranger with no expectations of reimbursement. I told her that every act of kindness is also an act of selfishness because it makes the giver feel good about what they have just done. A sense of goodness and pride in ones own life. She said thats stupid and i should just shut up before I make myself look like a selfish jerk. So I ended the convo but in my mind i felt like what i had done for him would come back to me sooner or later.

Today, after watching Easy Rider for the first time, I took my newly acquired 2005 TW200 out for my first real ride. As I am new to this whole thing I made a few mistakes. I left alone without telling anyone where i was going, rode out into the rural parts of Southern Arizona, had no destination in mind or timeline planned. Even so the mountains were beautiful and there were no other vehicles to be seen for miles on end. The mountain roads were bumpy and winding but even with next to zero riding experience the TW made it so effortless and fun. In what seemed like no time at all I was in a valley behind the Huachuca Mountains at least 100 miles from home. To make things even more interesting the sun was about to set. Just as I was reflecting on how amazing my journey was going the TW quit. The lights were still on so I knew then I must have used all the fuel. The stock 1.8 gallon tank brought me 115 miles or so to a place i had never been. I pulled to the edge of the road and smiled and thought about how foolish an amateur i was. 'Duh gasoline fuels this thing, not smiles or wind or good intentions.' I opened up the gas tank to make sure. Yup, no gas. I remembered the possibility for a few miles of travel on the reserve tank but no refueling stations would be anywhere near for the next 20-30 miles or so. I put the cap back on and switched the petcock over to reserve. Just then, before sparking back up, and only moments after running empty, an SUV with a boat in tow stopped and asked if I was OK. I simply said, "No gas." He smiled and hopped out. He pulled a gas can out of the boat and said "This is a 4 stroke engine on my boat, so its plain gasoline." Perfect the TW is 4 stroke too! He filled me up and said that should be enough to get me to Sonoita. I asked to give him a couple bucks and he replied "Hell no, just help out the next guy." I smiled and remarked "Thank you kind fisherman for helping me, and I will do just as you say." Well, turns out I already did, didn't I?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
+1 on ya. i've been there and done that, and even questioned myself sometimes like your girlfriend did... but i always figure some day it will be my turn to screw up and be down on gas somewhere.

·
Registered
425 Posts
We're biologically programmed to help another troubled person in need.

Why so many people are selfish pieces of trash that would leave somebody to die, I have no idea. They must be reincarnates from hell that have no emotions. Maybe just maybe...I know so many people that act like freakin' robots...it could be the truth!

Great story.
The best thing you can do when helping someone out is to tell them to return the favor by helping someone else in need.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
With all we see and hear in the media it's always nice to be reminded of all the good people in the world. Thanks for sharing your story.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It’s amazing to me just how many selfish people there are. When I think of it, maybe it is life experiences that have tainted their view of helping others. That’s justifiable, to a point. On the other side of the coin, are a lot of us folks who have, from time to time laid their fair share & then some, of new asphalt on that road to hell, yet it still won’t stop us from giving someone the benefit of the doubt from time to time, & extending that helping hand. I’ve been paid back in kind both ways, like many of you, but I believe the ++’s have out-weighed the minuses when it’s all added up.
m.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, you gave and received, and were incredibly blessed and that is commendable and noble.....

BUT, there's a qwerty lesson here too: DUDE! You ran out of gas! In the DESERT no less! And nobody knew your where abouts. People die that way. If you were my kid I'd take your keys. Now, I know you know all that, but please promise you will never do that again. So I, a professional worry wort will have one less thing to worry about around here.

Dan

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I too am a believer in the seldom-mentioned aspect of Karma banking known by the acronym "CYA".

I figger it earns interest at roughly the same rate as kindness to strangers, so I always hedge my bets.

Just sayin'.

Save the Karma for the big stuff

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
UGH!! That qwerty lesson!! He's so damn right!! ALWAYS FILE A FLIGHT PLAN!! That way they know where to look for your helmet after the care bears eat you! I'm only saying this because I too am guilty as charged of the same thing. Bad habit worth breaking.

And one more reason I hope we get that second chance at that tank deal, more fuel GOOD!

Nuf said. m.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not too big on cliches ... the term 'pay it forward' has always sounded a bit too groovy to me. BUT ... what goes around comes around, karma, just bein' country, ... it's true and real.

Where I live (Santa Cruz), our too strong social safety net has made our community a mecca for the homeless. We are rife with many who coast on our social services. Getting panhandled on such a regular basis has made me jaded and cynical.

Your story reminds me how lucky I (we?) are to have what we have, and that sometimes we can all use a hand one way or another. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Wow, that was really cool of you to fill somebodys fuel tank. Not sure I would go that far. I would give someone a few gallons to get home. I've towed boats back to dock, pulled quads stuck in mud out, never been asked for fuel but would surely help out. Oh and I've been towed back to dock, pulled out of mud a few times...LOL. Now as far as riding out in the desert without telling anyone where your going and without enough fuel....DON'T DO THAT AGAIN! We don't want to hear about you on the evening news.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts