TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do a lot of guy change the stock pegs? I have no issues with mine. I could see if you where taking hits on a mx track where you'd want to spread the impact on the souls of your feet, but hardly anyone rides a TW that way. Especially with the stock shock.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Out here in the West, rough terrain is much more common, and getting your feet bounced off the footpegs is sure to produce the desire to have bigger ones in a hurry. Also, if you spend a considerable amount of time up on the pegs, bigger pegs are more comfortable......we do take hits like a MX track....a very rough MX track, as a matter of course.....except for the jumps....;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Why do a lot of guy change the stock pegs? I have no issues with mine. I could see if you where taking hits on a mx track where you'd want to spread the impact on the souls of your feet, but hardly anyone rides a TW that way. Especially with the stock shock.
Bigger pegs aren't better, they're just bigger! I guess it depends on what kind of shoes / boots you wear but I like the ones that came with the bike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've ordered a pair of Krator FP003 as I read they were recommended by TDubzKid. They haven't arrived yet but I'm anticipating a lot of standing in my future.

·
Registered
284 Posts
IMS Pegs here, I think it was one of the first mods I did to my TW when I bought it almost 11 years ago. Most of my riding is in very rough, rocky areas of the mountains and sometimes the desert. Like someone else said having larger pegs makes it easier for standing and for me gives me some flexibility on where to rest my feet.

One word of caution, two weeks ago I was on a ride with a friend on a TW. My friend collided with another bike, his right-side peg took a direct hit from the front wheel of another MC at-speed on the trail which shattered the cheap Chinese peg he'd been using on his TW. Snapped it right at the mount which made riding it 30 miles home (thankfully only five of them were off-road), well interesting. I'm not sure what brand the cheap pegs were, I can post a pic. Needless to say they've since been replaced by a set of IMS pegs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Peg.JPG
This is the peg which broke-off. Again, no idea on the brand.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I felt like they were just too small and I am a small guy ... almost feel like mini bike size. They're certainly manageable, but the larger sized pegs definitely make a difference if you're going on dirt/rocky trails. Plus, it only cost me $24 to upgrade. It was a big win and now I could certainly never go back to the stock size.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Like Kev250R, IMS pegs were the first mod within days of getting my TW. I'm short with big feet (11US/45EU) and the extra space is more reassuring while providing more flexibility in where I rest my feet. I did the IMS shifter at the same time to get additional space and to get the shift peg a little further out. Perfect setup for me.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Replacing the pegs is one of tge cheapest andd easiest ways to improve your riding ability and safwty and comfort and allow you to stand wile riding offroad.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
IMS Pegs here, I think it was one of the first mods I did to my TW when I bought it almost 11 years ago. Most of my riding is in very rough, rocky areas of the mountains and sometimes the desert. Like someone else said having larger pegs makes it easier for standing and for me gives me some flexibility on where to rest my feet.

One word of caution, two weeks ago I was on a ride with a friend on a TW. My friend collided with another bike, his right-side peg took a direct hit from the front wheel of another MC at-speed on the trail which shattered the cheap Chinese peg he'd been using on his TW. Snapped it right at the mount which made riding it 30 miles home (thankfully only five of them were off-road), well interesting. I'm not sure what brand the cheap pegs were, I can post a pic. Needless to say they've since been replaced by a set of IMS pegs.
This makes me feel better about having preemptively switched from Chinacorp to IMS recently.

Another good reason to switch to larger pegs is rider mass vs. peg surface area. A little 125lb fella on stock pegs might feel fine, but us larger folks experience a lot more force in a smaller relative area.

Fabricating some numbers for demonstration purposes, let's say:
- Stock pegs are 2 square inches of surface area.
- Upgrade pegs are 4 square inches of surface area.
- Rider A is 100lbs with 10 square inches of sole.
- Rider B is 200lbs with 20 square inches of sole.

On stock pegs, RiderA is going to experience 50psi over 20% of their sole area, where RiderB is going to experience 100psi over 10% of their sole area.

On upgraded pegs, RiderA sees 25psi over 40% of sole area and RiderB sees 50psi over 20% of sole area.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Well, that is some interesting comparison! All I know is that I felt uncomfortable in rough terrain with the stock pegs and changed them out right away back in 2010. Never regretted that decision and did it immediately on the 2018.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you think the stock pegs are good enough then they are.

If you are standing and riding a lot of different types of terrain or you like to steer or control the motorcycle with your feet and legs then wider and longer pegs are a great addition!

It's like riders that think the stock suspension is good enough. If it works good then great. If not then you should look for answers.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you think the stock pegs are good enough then they are.

If you are standing and riding a lot of different types of terrain or you like to steer or control the motorcycle with your feet and legs then wider and longer pegs are a great addition!

It's like riders that think the stock suspension is good enough. If it works good then great. If not then you should look for answers.
I changed my shock and lightly modified my forks. To me the TW suspension is best for keeping the tire from hitting the fenders. But I have no issues with the stock pegs. I installed wider pegs on my vintage mx bike. On that bike they made a difference. I have only heard of a couple cheapie Chinese pegs breaking. I just don't feel I need wider pegs on this machine. Should I bend the stockers I'll certainly change them out.
If you are riding your TW so hard that you are slamming things that the arches of your feet hurt, please buy a different bike. You are going to eventually get hurt. The TW is not that kind of bike

·
Registered
835 Posts
Where I ride is mostly rocky, ravine ladled trails. I stand well over half the time I'm riding out there - having a larger solid base to stand on is a good thing imo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stay away from the chinesium munimula pegs. The tiny 'sticks' Yamaha provided for my size 12's to stand on.... were simply too small. Dug around in my spare bits boxes and came up with a lovely blue set of aluminum 'pit bike' pegs. Sheared one off twenty minutes later on a boulder... thankfully I was riding about in my yard. I picked up a nice cheap set of 'stainless' pit bike pegs that have turned out to be quite durable after a few smashes into the same boulder (someone needs to loan me a backhoe so I can move it... it's big).
If your feet are happy on the stock pegs... stay with them.
I sold off my old Alpinestar adventure boots... I'd have been happy in those standing on a 1/4" rod... the sole was that stiff. My current Formas are not so stiff, great for walking but not the same when on the pegs for long stretches. And, I like the teeth keeping my feet in place when wet or muddy.

** I had an insane set of thick billet aluminum pegs on my KLR... allen set screws instead of teeth... you could adjust them in and out of the surface... I even removed some to get the perfect amount of bite and movement. Anyone know if similar is available for a TW? I'd love to get a pair of them again...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Stay away from the chinesium munimula pegs. The tiny 'sticks' Yamaha provided for my size 12's to stand on.... were simply too small. Dug around in my spare bits boxes and came up with a lovely blue set of aluminum 'pit bike' pegs. Sheared one off twenty minutes later on a boulder... thankfully I was riding about in my yard. I picked up a nice cheap set of 'stainless' pit bike pegs that have turned out to be quite durable after a few smashes into the same boulder (someone needs to loan me a backhoe so I can move it... it's big).
If your feet are happy on the stock pegs... stay with them.
I sold off my old Alpinestar adventure boots... I'd have been happy in those standing on a 1/4" rod... the sole was that stiff. My current Formas are not so stiff, great for walking but not the same when on the pegs for long stretches. And, I like the teeth keeping my feet in place when wet or muddy.

** I had an insane set of thick billet aluminum pegs on my KLR... allen set screws instead of teeth... you could adjust them in and out of the surface... I even removed some to get the perfect amount of bite and movement. Anyone know if similar is available for a TW? I'd love to get a pair of them again...
These may be what you are talking about. Considered them but went with another type. These will fit the Dub. see below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Pit-Bike-Foot-Pegs-Rests-Footpegs-For-MX-CRF50-XR50-PW50-PW80-KLX110-TTR50/253807452153?fits=Year:2015|Model:TW200|Submodel:Trailway|Make:Yamaha&hash=item3b181a5ff9:g:mGwAAOSwN91bbUvS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks, Donzo! The ones I 'adapted' for the KLR were even beefier, solid at the mount and a few more set screws... but these look like they'll fit the bill if the current ones 'fall off on their own'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts