TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a skunky critter problem. My Marlin .22 is no good in the burbs due to proximity issues. I need a varmint rifle in .177 maybe. Around 1200FPS. CO2 or spring? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
co2;)

·
Registered
487 Posts
My Theoben Crusader gas spring gun is almost as loud as a .22 with cb caps. ( and was a whole lot more expensive ) the Benjamin Marauder is an example of a decent mid priced pcp, and is easier to shoot than any spring gun. A decent co2 powered gun also is just as easy to shoot accurately. The quietest air rifles out there are shrouded pcp s. They are also accurate and as powerful
as they come. ( although pushing a pellet too fast results in pellet deformation and diminished accuracy ) I have routinely harvested ground hogs with my Theoben .22 caliber pellet rifle spitting them out at around 850 fps. Shot placement is critical, no matter which one you use. Just my . 02. Dave

·
Registered
19,211 Posts
+1 on the CB caps for your .22 unless using a non firearm is your only legal option for the skunk problem. However a pellet gun can be alot of fun. I don't think I have seen any CO2 approaching 1200fps. Spring-air can do that for under $200, and a nitrogen gas spring eliminates that learning curve for dealing with torque from conventional metal spring uncompressing. Pre-charged pneumatics are the sexy high tec option, but pricy with cost of tanks, pumps, or re-filling expenses. I use a .177 RWS spring air with best results with heaviest pellets I can find. I find lighter alloy pellets very inaccurate in my rifle, I suspect instability at trans-sonic speeds.
What really works for me extremely well is a Have-A-Heart live trap. Varmints can either be relocated and released or dispatched at close range with a $35 Crossman pump-up. Not very sporting but very effective, trap can work 24/7 while you do other things. Besides it is fun when you catch the neighbor's cat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a Theoben rapid seven, critters used to love it ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also fitted there Evolution silencer nice and quite.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm with Fred on this one. Like many others I have experienced a skunk problem. Living rural the noise of a .22 was not a problem so this was my first answer. Wrong !!! When shot the skunk sprayed. You all know how long a spray smell will linger. The next time, good ol smart Joemama followed the critter a couple hundred yards down my private road to make the kill thinking I was far enough from the house that it would be no problem. Wrong !!!! This time he made into a culvert to die and STINK. Not until we got enough rain to flush the culvert did the smell go away. I still had skunks showing up often. I did some research and found out how to trap skunks. I now use a small trap with a blanket drapped over it with a little bit of extra on the top that can be dropped over the opening once the skunk is inside. A small trap because I read that a skunk can not spray if it can't raise it's tail. A blanket cover because a skunk will not spray what it can't see. I have successfully trap and relocated about a dozed or so skunks now, never having one spray. I handle the cage gently and when at the release sight I set the trap down and uncover the door, open the door and step away and wait for the little guy to come out. Some times it takes a few minutes. This turned out to be a better option for me.

Joe

·
Registered
19,211 Posts
Joe is right, a live skunk is easier to deal with on your property than a dead one. They are really not that obnoxious a critter, only when we or our dogs harass them do we get the Peppe Le Peu Last skunk I trapped out of a storage building when released ran right back into the building to hide again. Oh well...skunks do no little damage compared to the pack rats I was after. Those I trap and dispatch while still in the cage.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I shot 13 skunks one summer with my Diana 48 in .177 and only one sprayed.That was a double lung shot the rest were all shot between the eyes and they just dropped on the spot.I took the shot from well inside the house to muffle the sound and used plastic pellets with steel heads.A CB cap would be a lot cheaper option though.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Cheap, Accurate, and gets the small jobs done: :rolleyes:

Pellet Gun 002.JPG

·
Registered
487 Posts
+1 on the CB caps for your .22 unless using a non firearm is your only legal option for the skunk problem. However a pellet gun can be alot of fun. I don't think I have seen any CO2 approaching 1200fps. Spring-air can do that for under $200, and a nitrogen gas spring eliminates that learning curve for dealing with torque from conventional metal spring uncompressing. Pre-charged pneumatics are the sexy high tec option, but pricy with cost of tanks, pumps, or re-filling expenses. I use a .177 RWS spring air with best results with heaviest pellets I can find. I find lighter alloy pellets very inaccurate in my rifle, I suspect instability at trans-sonic speeds.
What really works for me extremely well is a Have-A-Heart live trap. Varmints can either be relocated and released or dispatched at close range with a $35 Crossman pump-up. Not very sporting but very effective, trap can work 24/7 while you do other things. Besides it is fun when you catch the neighbor's cat.
Well put, Fred, but even my Nitrogen gas spring with its short lock time still needs to be held correctly to get the tight groups that it is capable of. GaryL and I have an ongoing, friendly, competition using the .22 rifles at targets set 47 yards. He won the first one. Our rules for the competition require that we use each other's rifle for 1/2 of the round. My pellet rifle's inherent accuracy is better than my powder burner, but the correct hold is critical. ( I have yet to get it right )

GaryL wants me to compete with a handgun, but I am quite sure I would get stomped. With the rifles, I am at least a contender. Although I'm not sure that Gary agrees. We'll see. Rubber side down, Dave

·
Registered
19,211 Posts
Sounds like there are as many fans of air guns as there are different ways to get the job done. All sound very good. We've fed Toma55 quite a variety of options.
I wonder if Croatoan has some tasty skunk recipes?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My long story short. As a kid, worked at a Dept. Store. Emptied brake room rubbish can into rolling bin, felt kind of heavy... Had a large spotted skunk inside! Skunk climbed out, and upon seeing my boss, who was skeptical of my encounter, released a blast! Whole store smelled for most of a week...

Solution: Guy trapped it with live trap with blanket over it, inside storeroom, moved it slowly, & no more spraying. Relocated to local dump.

I have no problem with shooting skunks, or releasing them, other than smelling bad, they are far less impact than feral cats. OH, and remember they like to dig out & eat yellow jacket nest! That's worth a gold star! m.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Skunks are typically nasty business when shooting. I've done allot of nuisance skunk work and typically have about 80% spray when shooting. The best luck I have had is a low velocity lung shot however its all too risky. Even shooting their heads clean off they seem to spray. Best way to remove a skunk is a live trap. They are very easy to catch and once caught, approach very slowly and even take a break to let them calm down while they can see you are not going to be a threat. Then slip a blanket over the trap and place it into the back of the truck. Do what you want with them after that.
Whatever you do, dont risk a skunk spraying anywhere near your house or neighbours house. The stank lasts a VERY LONG TIME.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You knew I had one didn't ya?

French Fried Skunk

Ingredients

Directions

1. Clean and wash the skunks, making sure that the scent glands are removed.
  2. Cut up into small serving pieces.
  3. Put a soup kettle on the stove and add the meat.
  4. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat.
  5. Lower the heat and boil until the meat is tender, about 40 minutes.
  6. Remove all the scum that rises to the surface.
  7. Make a batter by mixing together the egg yolks, milk, flour, salt and baking powder.
  8. Mix real good until the batter is about like cake batter.
  9. Heat the bear fat or lard in a deep fryer to about 360 degrees.
  10. Dip the pieces of skunk in the batter and then fry them in the deep fryer until golden brown.
  11. Drain well and serve.
AKA: " the pepe' Lepew " special.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts