TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Searched for answer, struggling to find one so here goes.

Got a new-to-me '05 TW with very low miles (under 400). Been chipping away at renewing the important parts. Went on a short ride tonight and maybe 3-4 miles in (let's say no more than 10 minutes) I realized my petcock was still off. Quickly flipped it over, but curious if that's an abnormally long time for it to run in the off position?

I do get a very faint gas smell when riding, but no leaks on the ground during storage. Might it be time to replace the OEM petcock? If that's normal for them to run that long, maybe I'm ok?

So far, I've just changed the oil, added a touch of Sea Foam and replaced a brake lever. New sparkplug is ready to go, along with tires, brake fluid and air filter.

Thanks for any advice. My first time posting here. Super appreciative of all the great content.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Hey Rover, welcome to the forum!

Yes, that is a long time for the engine to run with the gas off. Mine will idle for several minutes after I turn the gas off, or will ride for about 1/4 - 3/8 mile until it stalls. Make sure that the lever handle is pointed directly over the OFF position, start your bike and ride it around your neighborhood until the engine stumbles and stalls. If it keeps running and never stalls, you will need to some more investigating.

Brian

·
Registered
837 Posts
Maybe 3 minutes, but it depends if you're on the throttle, or if it's idling.
Be aware that the long part of the petcock lever needs to be pointing to "off".

Petcock replacement is pretty simple. I pull the tank and turn it over to change it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe 3 minutes, but it depends if you're on the throttle, or if it's idling.
Be aware that the long part of the petcock lever needs to be pointing to "off".

Petcock replacement is pretty simple. I pull the tank and turn it over to change it.
I ordered a replacement petcock to be safe. Seems like a fairly easy project, one a novice like myself could tackle. Got an OEM from Partzilla.

Worried that if mine is faulty, it's allowing gas to places it shouldn't go while not in use. Not a risk I'm willing to take!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I install fuel filters on my bikes so that causes them to run a bit longer after the petcock is turned off but the fuel should take no longer than 3 to 5 minutes to run out. I close mine about a quarter of a mile from home and usually it’s sputtering when I get into my driveway.

They do make rebuild kits for petcocks but when I notice signs that they’re on their last leg I always replace the whole unit.

Reactions: imlost

·
Registered
837 Posts
You can test your existing petcock by pulling the hose off of the carb. If it doesn't leak when in the off position, it's good.
No worries about buying a new one, though. Eventually, you're going to have to replace it, so you'll have one on hand when that time comes.
If you're smelling gas, it's not typical. You should check carefully for leaks from the tank to the carb, and also check the overflow tube that comes out of the carb, to make sure the float isn't sticking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Rover, welcome to the forum!

Yes, that is a long time for the engine to run with the gas off. Mine will idle for several minutes after I turn the gas off, or will ride for about 1/4 - 3/8 mile until it stalls. Make sure that the lever handle is pointed directly over the OFF position, start your bike and ride it around your neighborhood until the engine stumbles and stalls. If it keeps running and never stalls, you will need to some more investigating.

Brian
I pulled the fuel line off the carb today, and in the OFF position, fuel continued in a steady stream from the petcock. Not as heavy as in ON or RESERVE, but a stream nonetheless. Concern verified.

Tank is drained and petcock replacement on the way. That being said, should I take any other precautions? There was no puddling of gas on the ground. Does that mean the floats in the carb were doing their job? Think I should swap the oil again just as a precaution?

Gotta say, I was pretty surprised when I pulled that fuel line and the gushing started. I couldn't find any sweet spot where the flow would stop. To say I was scrambling a bit is putting it lightly!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm visualizing you scrambling. :oops:
It's great that you confirmed at least part of the problem. When you get your new petcock installed, you'll just want to make sure you're not having multiple issues. If you smell gas, investigate.

Reactions: Midrover170

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the latest.

OEM petcock seems great. Got the tank off easy enough. But... The old fiber washers were another story. They crumbled when I tried to remove them. I'm off to the nearest auto parts store to see if they have a good match and hopefully they're as good as OEM.

Also, the tubes on the old petcock were covered in green. Some kind of sludge/corrosion from sitting dorment too long?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Are you talking about fiber washers on the petcock? I don't remember the petcock having a fiber washer. On my multiple TW's, I only remember an O-ring that fits in to a groove on the base of the petcock. I'm not 100% positive - Maybe others can comment on this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you talking about fiber washers on the petcock? I don't remember the petcock having a fiber washer. On my multiple TW's, I only remember an O-ring that fits in to a groove on the base of the petcock. I'm not 100% positive - Maybe others can comment on this.
Yeah, there were two fiber washers on the screws that mount the petcock to the tank, in addition to the other o-rings that you mentioned. The OEM petcock assembly for some reason does not come with the screws and fiber washers. I'm going to try some automotive teflon tape and fiber washers from the big box, or, teflon and copper washers.

·
Registered
837 Posts
That's right. I remember now.
I like your idea, and think it will work just fine.

Reactions: Midrover170

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's right. I remember now.
I like your idea, and think it will work just fine.
Sorry to bother you one last time on this saga...

Was able to find very similar ID/OD fiber washers, but they were half as thick so I doubled them up and applied the automotive teflon. I've now had the remaining gas angled toward the petcock for about 30 mins and no leaks. Tested the RESERVE and it flowed nicely, then shut right off in OFF.

Would you say that's a long enough test and to slap it on?

Good news: Got my neutral indicator working :). It's the little things...

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think you're good-to-go my friend. (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts