TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Note: I am posting these pictures as a favor for Phelonius, all credit for this work belongs to him. TW-Brian)

Okay, here are the photos of what I have already done.The hack frame is a bare frame from Enumclaw Washington.
It was supposed to fit a 250cc Big Ruckas but I sold that bike a couple years ago.
I sawed apart the linkages and fittings and shaped them to fit the Suzuki.
They no fit the hack a little closer to the bike than before, about 5 inches closer.
When it is all done and toe in and lean out is adjusted properly, I will saw off the extra appendages.

It is going to be a cargo hauler for groceries, hardware, dead bodies, etc.

It will have a loop at the rear that will carry my wheelchair.
This is causing some problems because the wheelchair is wider than the sidecar frame.

Because of my disabilities, (paralyzed legs) the work is going very slowly.
More as I get more done.

I am also having a 50 foot ramp installed from my front door to my driveway. And a canopy built over the drive so I won't have to shovel snow off my windshield in winter. I will probably have to hire some strong young types to shovel snow off of my ramp.

Phelonius

Phelonius 001.jpg

Phelonius 002.jpg

Phelonius 003.jpg

Phelonius 004.jpg

Phelonius 005.jpg

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Incredible work so far. Drooling to see your next posting and eventually finished product.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
My thanks to Brian for his help. Hell, I can even get confused trying to manage my own photo record.
Things are going slow for lack of the kind of tools I need. Hell a few years ago I had a full size lathe and milling machine and professional welding equipment.
Now I have a little stick welder the size of a lunchbox, a drill press I just bought, a toy milling machine, and a toy bench top lathe with a 16 inch bed.
I was once a proffessional welder with. some machine shop experience. Now I am a tinkerer. But I will finish this machine one piece at a time.
I started when I found on the internet, a bottom guard for the Van Van. I bought one and it became the start of a subframe. I welded things to it until I had a place to mount the two large heim joints. It has been piece by piece since. I see a need for a piece and make one and put it on. It ain't purty but it should work.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
There are a few guys around me that have Vespa sidecar rigs. They are only 150cc-125cc machines and they do fine bopping around town even with a passenger. One is a real vintage Vespa that was imported from, of all places Vietnam. A fellow there that specializes in restoring and throwing hacks on these things. The other ones are not actually Vespa's, they a "Stella's" but just a more modern version of the originals.

A few years ago I took off all of my Ural's original tin and used parts from 5 different bikes to create what it is today, hand sanding and rattle-can painting. Actually a better paint job that the crummy one from Russia. The Hack/Car was just too big for me to strip by hand so I sent it out to a professional stripping company for media blasting. While I was waiting for it to be returned I continued to use the Ural without the sidecar. A real hoot around town and even for me very weird to be riding and looking to my right. They are folks that do this to put a different carry platform on the frame. Some have used to transport small boats, lumber, tools, coffin, etc.

Frame looks pretty similar to what you are creating. On this model Ural which is known as a Patrol (Gear-Up model is the same) the motorcycle and the frame are basically one unit and was designed that way. Come separate for transport from Siberia.
Leading-Link front end prevents you from ever wanting to detach and ride 2-wheels, almost impossible. It was and is designed specifically for sidecar duty. There are other Ural models with telescopic front ends that you can do both on.
IMG_4274.jpg

The two little rubber black things towards the rear are called "Snowmen". Besides attaching the rear of the car to the frame and helping with monkey (passenger) suspension comfort they lift the car high enough so there is no interference with the sidecar wheel driveshaft that you can see going from the rear of the bikes final drive to the sidecar wheel.
This is the set-up for 2-wheel drive Urals. 1-wheel drive models sit closer to the frame... no driveshaft to the hack wheel.
IMG_4275.jpg

The yellow crossmember attaches from the foot brake (rear brake) on the bike to the brake on the sidecar wheel. Very primitive and very simple. These are drum brakes but when set right you appreciate it on a 750lb. steel beast from Mother Russia. Front brake is a Brembo disc (Thank God). On the new Urals all 3 brakes are discs nowadays since I think 2014.
IMG_4287.JPG

IMG_4283.JPG

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Yes I have owned a Ural patrol when it was the top of the line they offered.
I have also owned a Dnepr with hack. It was a former military model. I put a machine gun on the sidecar.
BTW I was feeling bored today so with the hack only 80% finished, I went for an evening ride toes If it had any bad habits.
It has enough power in all gears but Still would like a larger rear sprocket. It doesn't pull to either side and is smooth and quiet.
I will put on a steering damper for safety though as I have done that on the last 5 that I have put together anyway.
I visited a friend in the hospital where he spent about 4 months recovering from not having a steering damper when he needed it.
His Machine was a Ural hack new on an R1150 GS BMW, professionally assembled by a professional sidecar builder in Washington.
I knew him and that he was a good sidecar pilot and decided that any sidecar machine I ever built would have a steering damper on it.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
On the rear end of the sidecar frame transitioning to the hack wheel there is an angled piece welded. Basically dropping the frame a bit lower than the motorcycle. Did you do the same with your design?
I suppose to compensate so that all 3 tires in all three locations meet the ground and keep the sidecar level? Do you see where I am talking about by and just under the final-drive U-joint rubber boot.
My rig has 19" tires. The 1WD models sometimes have 18" tires and wheels.
Fascinating work you are doing.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Well it is completed. I had to wait three weeks for the steel to drive but it is finally done. Mw order to Sprocket specialties arrived Saturday.
Along with a chain of 120 links. I cut off 4 links and fitted it. As built it was too feeble with stock gearing. on the highway I had to use fourth gear to achieve 45 mph.
With the 54 tooth sprocket I can use all 5 gears. Top speed is a little more than 50 mph, but I can now go into 5th gear at 35 . I can cruise at 45.
The wind resistance of the sidecar and the wheelchair takes away a lot of performance. But it is quiet and steers perfectly with no tendency to pull either way.
There is noheadshake either. All things considered, it is exactly what I wanted, a Gofer. It is off road capable to the limit of the tires and can be used around town and a little ways out limited only by my stamina or lack of same. If Brian will help I will send him the finished photos and maybe he will post them here. It is much quieter than a TW
with the same size engine and tires. It does have an oil cooler, and fuel injection though.
A great gofer for a disabled old man.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Excellent Phelonius!! Can't wait to see the pictures!! :)
Well it is completed. I had to wait three weeks for the steel to drive but it is finally done. Mw order to Sprocket specialties arrived Saturday.
Along with a chain of 120 links. I cut off 4 links and fitted it. As built it was too feeble with stock gearing. on the highway I had to use fourth gear to achieve 45 mph.
With the 54 tooth sprocket I can use all 5 gears. Top speed is a little more than 50 mph, but I can now go into 5th gear at 35 . I can cruise at 45.
The wind resistance of the sidecar and the wheelchair takes away a lot of performance. But it is quiet and steers perfectly with no tendency to pull either way.
There is noheadshake either. All things considered, it is exactly what I wanted, a Gofer. It is off road capable to the limit of the tires and can be used around town and a little ways out limited only by my stamina or lack of same. If Brian will help I will send him the finished photos and maybe he will post them here. It is much quieter than a TW
with the same size engine and tires. It does have an oil cooler, and fuel injection though.
A great gofer for a disabled old man.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts