TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2018 TW200 and wanted to see if there were any TW riders in the Phoenix and surrounding areas that wanted to do a little trail riding? This is not my first motorcycle or TW, I am fairly experienced rider. Just would like to find a good group of riders and possibly some new trails!!
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I plan to be down in Arizona some time in January for a few weeks. Never been before and I am looking forward to doing some trail riding. If you know some good areas to ride and camp, please let me know.
Not sure at this time when I am heading down, but plan to be in the US for a month camping and riding.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Not sayin who, but some guys sure live the good life!!!! hehe :p
I plan to be down in Arizona some time in January for a few weeks. Never been before and I am looking forward to doing some trail riding. If you know some good areas to ride and camp, please let me know.
Not sure at this time when I am heading down, but plan to be in the US for a month camping and riding.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crown King is definitely a ride I have always wanted to do, just not on my own. I will look into some other areas, and if you think of anything let me know. Maybe we can plan a ride.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
EJ we did some riding around Quartzite free camping and tons of RVers. Maybe we meet up there and then shoot over and do crown King area.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Maybe we can turn this into an Arizona ride in January?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I know there was a TW get together in Quartzsite in January of this year, so hopefully there will be another one in 2018. I was hoping to explore a bit of Arizona and get away from the rain and enjoy some riding. I am looking at also bringing my VStrom to do some longer rides.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We could do that too.

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Arizona sure has some memorable ride destinations. While not near Pheonix a ride and destination not soon forgotten is Torroweep overlooking Lava Falls on the Colorado River in the Arizona Strip. One of the better sunrise and moonrise locations I know of. toroweapsh.jpg
I recall it is a bit over 60 miles to get in there after leaving the pavement at HWY 389. Technically in the National Park but it does not feel like a typical park experience. IMG_6338.jpg Very worthwhile, great primitive camping, ancient rock art petroglyphs can be found on side roads like those to Mt.Trumbell and Nampaweap if you have the fuel to go look for them;). 9984585.jpg

While these petroglyphs are typical for the region there is a remote panel out there I’ve searched for but could not find featuring extremely controversial pictographs done in an ancient Australian aboriginal style with atypical paint and symbology. Controversial in that it implies possible north american human visitation pre-dating the still accepted “Clovis First” theory that all human migration was done overland in post ice-age era beginning some 12,500 B.C.
Anyways my philosophy is that if one is going to travel far afield might as well go someplace special.

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Only four hours or so north of Pheonix are notable destinations on the south side of Colorado on indian reservations all linked by nice dual sport roads. The Hualapi have the Skywalk, a glass floored horseshoe cantilevered over the canyon with great views between your feet looking down. If you can get there before, or after last tour bus of the day it can be a special uncrowded experience. Otherwise it can be just a tourist jammed drag. I was there with just my wife and a photographer on the skywalk one dusk making it a very personal private experience. 9d6593fd85b90224cf56e35b7a49c4ec.jpg 0214.jpg 7470576.jpg grand_canyon_skywalk-4.jpg

A bit east is Diamond Creek outside of Peach Springs where you can primitive camp right on the Colorado River at one of only several places where one can actually motor to the water’s edge. Great descent into the canyon! 19189091.jpg More wildlife than people on the reservation unless a 20 pus day rafting trip is taking out of the river. 28960327.jpg Further east is of course the Hualapi reservation where one can hike into Havasu falls. These seem better destinations than the overcrowded conventional South Rim Grand Canyon National Park with all it’s tacky tourism. Do bring money though, the indians have figured out how to profit from us.:) 29293438.jpg

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Great info Fred. Wish I had done these locations when I lived in AZ. My Brother still lives in Tucson, so I should make a trip with the TW's in tow.

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Videos and ride reports of Crown Point make it a worthwhile ride, no doubt. Was just pointing out to ejfranz that as long as he is "in the neighborhood” there are other things to see. What is a couple hundred mile detour when on a multi-state month long ramble?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Experanced rider here also, Phx, and all over state riding.. been out of offroad riding for a few years.. Just got a TW.. willing to go out, and I also have a place in white mountians, near forest roads to ride also.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Another pretty good one in that area is to go check out the sheep bridge. It's been a while and I don't remember any of the road names, but a quick look at google maps should sort you. Go northish from Carefree to the brdge, the southeastish to horseshoe dam, and the back westish to carefree.

maxresdefault.jpg

download.jpeg

P.S. You can't actually ride across the dam. You can't even think about it while looking at the thing or the the cops will promptly show up to let you know of your cant-do-it-ness. But you can push your bike on the walkway underneath.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

·
Registered
435 Posts
I rode the Quartzite area last year with a group, there was about 10 of us, a couple of members have houses there, Kofa and Martin. Mel will be around mid January as I will when I get out of the Alamo Lake area about mid month, leaving Friday for there with a group. We usually camp at mm3 off Plamosa road. Martin knows where we camp.

well 3 days at alamo lake, put my back out big time, now home laying on the floor and visiting the back cracker. i'll be back but sure ruined my 3 week plans. :mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts