TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working over the past week {hard to believe that it will be a full 7 days since we got back last Sunday, in just a few hours} on some photos from the Big Bend National Park ride and week....as usual the quality is never as good as hoped, but will post them individually as I remember them over the next few days....and try to keep them in some sort of order as taken:

Off we go....leaving Montezuma, Ohio, with Montezuma Nick {L} and Hoot

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 002.JPG

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The weather and traffic were pretty decent from Ohio as we turned to Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri, as night fell....even with a couple of brief rest stops in Oklahoma and North Texas, we decided to push forward, against common sense, and made it to the door step of Big Bend by mid afternoon on Sunday, stopping at the quaint little motel in the town of Terlingua, Texas....

$82 bucks seemed fair enough to me....a few bites of Beef Jerkey, a few Lite Beers, and a couple of cigars would precede a good night's sleep before heading into Big Bend early on Monday:

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 019.JPG

Looking out our Front {Motel} Door:

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 015.JPG

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monday Morning came, and we ate a hearty breakfast at the local gas and pit stop...then saying good bye to the Chisos Mining Motel, we headed towards Big Bend and the Rio Grande Village:

DSC00100.JPG

Temperatures were already approaching 80 as we entered the park...we would have 2 warm day, followed by 3 cooler days, before the rebound just before we headed back towards home the next Saturday

DSC00133.JPG
DSC00115.JPG

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Good stuff Hooters!

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Monday arrival at Rio Grande Village Camp:

DSC00105.JPG

Camp Site #32 had some open views and plenty of tame wildlife. mostly birds to spoil, it was a good site in the NO Generator Zone....just some kids making noise and the night time visits of the Howling Coyotes...

DSC00104.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 055.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 049.JPG

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Monday Afternoon on the Old Ore Road and again Saturday AM....:D

DSC00109.JPG DSC00116.JPG DSC00136.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 026.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 028 (2).JPG

Up Next Glenn Springs Road

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
35 Miles of a "Mixed Bag" surfaces, Glenn Springs Road south to River Road East

DSC00127 (1).JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 070.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 072.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 077.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 079.JPG

Next: Glenn Springs Road part II

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Any time I move about the backcountry I find myself marveling at the thought that folks did the same thing in wagons. Likely no map or compass, just heading towards the peak over yonder. Dirt and rock for sure. A wide open expanse. Sooo different than Moab. Hope to see more of your adventure.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^ Thanks Jim, talk about Breaking the Camera Risk:eek:

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any time I move about the backcountry I find myself marveling at the thought that folks did the same thing in wagons. Likely no map or compass, just heading towards the peak over yonder. Dirt and rock for sure. A wide open expanse. Sooo different than Moab. Hope to see more of your adventure.
We talked about that on several occasions over that week at Big Bend Gerry...pretty damn amazing the guts and fortitude those folks had....:smiley:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Gerry, Same here, we had that exact discussion while we were out there.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bet you guys came home with a good tan and many fine memories. You three probably smelled better than the pioneers too.
Don't know Fred...3 days were cool and we were dressed for the cooler weather, I did get to wear shorts for one day...however, my face got it's Baseball Umpire tan started...as far as smelling better...3 showers in 8 days ? I usually take 2 or 3 a day and this old coot probably wasn't smelling like roses :cool:

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Riding south on Glenn Springs Road.... part 2

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 064.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 067.JPG [/ATTACH] Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 075.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 073 (1).JPG

Little Doubt that Glenn Springs was my favorite road{only because I failed to ride the entie 26 miles of Old Ore...and when{as opposed to "if"} I get back down that way, I will plan on taking the Black Gap Road off Glenn Springs, which goes 8.5 miles until hooking up with West River Rd.....also the entire 26 miles Sand, Hills, Drop Offs be damned, of Old Ore...but age and time may have a say in that...but that is the hope.;)

Up Next?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Boquillas

While Effanflood, Borneo, and Gary from Ft Wayne, made the crossing over the Rio Grande and into Boquillas, Mexico, the small border town that relies on the small tourist trade, Nick and I, sans Passports{mine long expired} settled for a couple of rides up the paved road to the Boquillas Overlook, and Canyon.

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 039.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 040.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 043.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 022.JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 041.JPG

The small town was clearly visible from the Overlook, where some fellow named Jose sold his walking sticks and trinkets via the Honor System....on a Normal 80 degree day bathed in Sunshine, I could have seen myself with a six pack of Tecate Beer and a long, slow smoking Cigar, not moving from a spot on the rocks, taking it all in. :p

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Beautiful pics...especially the one with the pink on the side of the plateau. It's surprising people leave crafts out to sell unattended. I've seen similar stuff in inner city Halifax oddly enough.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts