TW200 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
I think one of the things that helped convince my wife when I was courting her that America was OK was when we encountered a self-pay wagon load of kiwi out in California's central valley. I responded to her amazement by asking if the can of money or fruit would be stolen in her home country. She said the whole wagon would be likely be gone in short order. So of course we paid for a big bag of kiwis. To this day simply seeing kiwi brings back pleasant memories and re-affirms our faith in mankind's potential.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think one of the things that helped convince my wife when I was courting her that America was OK was when we encountered a self-pay wagon load of kiwi out in California's central valley. I responded to her amazement by asking if the can of money or fruit would be stolen in her home country. She said the whole wagon would be likely be gone in short order. So of course we paid for a big bag of kiwis. To this day simply seeing kiwi brings back pleasant memories and re-affirms our faith in mankind's potential.
We have all kinds of Veggie Self Pay stands here in the Heartland, and have never seen or heard of one ripped off....so far;)

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Relaxing at the Chisos Mountain Lodge on Thursday March 10th:

Effanflood Jim's BIG Bike was acting up, so we followed him to the lodge in the truck while Borneo and Gary from Ft. Wayne, rode the length of the River Road on their Kawasaki 650s....giving us time to hit the bar, get our rooms, and eat a meal with the Mountain View:

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 107 (2).JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 095 (1).JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 125 (1).JPG Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 145.JPG

Jim, Gary, and Kurt, headed out on Friday Morning for Austin....without a doubt some of the great views in Big Bend can be found just sitting at the Bar in the Chisos Lodge: :D

Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 105 (2b).jpg

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
A Final Look at Big Bend:

I hope to get back there and Moab, along with a few other places on my list...some I have visited and some I have not....but with Baseball Season Started, I will stick close to home until July......and do some short 'Day Trips"

some of my favorite photos from the week....

Old Ore Road Day 1 3d.png mrs Road Runner 3d.png Glenn Spring Road Hoot 3d.png Glenn Spring Road 3d.png Chisos Mining Motel 3D.png

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And a Few More:

Camp Tree 3d.png Chisos Mining Motel 2 3d.png Rio Grand 3d.png The Window 3d.png Tunnel at Big Bend  3d.png

And so that ends my Big Bend Ride in Review....enjoyed the heck out of it, but as always wish I had done more....but that is for another time down the road...

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
An "art" indeed, cause if you get it wrong you can end up heading to the hospital. Here is a link and it represents one technique. The pluses here as I see them; both connection points are as low as possible to minimize leverage on either bike and should either operator get nervous, detach is simply lifting your foot...
Hope this works for you Hoot..

Thank Gawd for the art of Pull Strap Starting :p

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Time to add some similar webbing to the tow-rope usually on board. Have never attempted that technique though, got something new to practice.
While skinny my rope was good enough to tow Plumbstraight and his TW through Moab's Fins-n-Things by a rescuing Rent-A-RZR. Imagine he would have been more comfortable with stouter webbing though.:rolleyes:

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
About a hundred years ago, a friend had a 250 CanAm dirt bike. He broke down back in the hills, not far from his truck. I towed him out with my SWM trials bike using a tie down strap. After pulling him up a hill, I had to cross a pair of RR tracks. Do you see where this is going? I didn't release the tie down from my back frame, just drug the thing behind my bike. When the hook on the trailing end of the strap caught the rail, my bike stopped and went down instantly. After I got loose and loaded my bike it was funny, not until then, though. lol Epic fail.

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Bump

One Year ago today we arrived and about 7 1/2 months away {hopefully} from Big Bend #2

Hoot BB Vast.jpg Old Ore Road Resized TW.jpg Big Bend Motorcycle Run 2016 183 (1).JPG Boquillas Overlook....png The Window Resized 1.jpg

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Bump...for TW TEX some 2016 photos and highlights of our 10 day Big Bend/Terlingua Adventure...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts