TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hated spending real money on such a primitive little bike but the truth is that where I live its winter half the year and this little creature will be a lot more useful than most other things on two wheels.

Rode it home about 30 miles back roads. The bike had less than 100 miles on it so I stayed around 40 or so and didn't beat on it.

Once I clean the dust of I need to adjust the chain and the rear brake. Way to much pedal. I will change the oil this week too, It was winterized and the battery is up. I will run the gas down and fill it up with non ethanol gas and that will be its regular feeding.

Should be fun to tinker with.

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I just got her clean! I washed it up. It's a 2011 with 98 miles. Well now about 125 miles. I saved some $ over new which still made it expensive but I plan on getting my money out of it. Just a stock looking bike and the most I could find was pencil tip sized rock chip. That will change. I joined this forum last year and almost pulled the trigger on one but bought a KLX250s instead. That was a nice bike. I have since sold it and now have a nice EX500, VSTROM 650ABS and now billy (goat).

I have been just dying not riding much the last couple of months and billy is going to change that. I think the strap on type tire chains will be in the works. I am not sure what we have left of winter as it is starting to clear a bit.

I see so many cool mods I don't know where to start. Oh wait a proper chain maybe.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I see so many cool mods I don't know where to start. Oh wait a proper chain maybe.

Congrats on the (pretty dang) new TW!

Although it wasn't my first mod or add-on, I would push a better front tire to the top of the mod list in a heartbeat. Nothing else I've done has made as big a difference. The stocker is fine on pavement, but it's easily the weakest link when you hit the dirt.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I read the 244 is a good value. I just tried my big magnetic tank bag and its a great fit. I use it on the other bikes and it makes life easy not having to transfer stuff all of the time. I like it because it big enough to fit my gym clothes including shoes.

P.S. I don't see a straightforward why to upload a pic or I would.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I always blows me away that people buy a bike and then put less than 100 miles on it before selling it.
Heck, I'd have that much on it in a week, maybe less if it were in the summer months. Did the seller indicate why they'd ridden it so little?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always blows me away that people buy a bike and then put less than 100 miles on it before selling it.
Heck, I'd have that much on it in a week, maybe less if it were in the summer months. Did the seller indicate why they'd ridden it so little?

That is very true. My little EX500 had 4500 miles and its an 06. I bought it it about May and doubled that. Similar with my VSTROM.

This one had a different story. The owner was a Motorcycle Cop for some years. He left the force but after some time wanted to ride again. He bought a KLR and got this for his wife who I met. She was just a tiny thing. Well a week after a truck backed into him breaking some bones but he came through fine. However, his wife said bikes no more and so this bike got one week of use. They bought it in July of last year from the dealer and it collected dust since. He is a really nice guy and I am happy to have the bike.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes those are tiny pegs! At 6'0" a taller bar would be cool too.

How can I post the an image?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes those are tiny pegs! At 6'0" a taller bar would be cool too.

How can I post the an image?

You have to host the picture somewhere first, such as flickr, photobucket, etc... then you can display it in your post here.

Click HERE for an explaination.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You have to host the picture somewhere first, such as flickr, photobucket, etc... then you can display it in your post here. There is a how to sticky here on the board that explains it well.

Right here!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys I will work on a host account.

Pay close attention to the oil filter/ruined brand new TW thread!!!!
I will search that right away.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the search tip using google. I do that often and it helped here.

Oil change. Use the filter with 4 holes!!!!

Mine has next to no miles but I am going to change the oil anyway since its a 2011.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Thanks for the search tip using google. I do that often and it helped here.

Oil change. Use the filter with 4 holes!!!!

Mine has next to no miles but I am going to change the oil anyway since its a 2011.

no problem...bike looks great!!!...so clean!!!...judging by the tires in the background it looks like you have a few toys...depending on what kind of condition your filter is in you may be able to clean it and reuse it...not a bad idea to have extras on hand though...you planning on running a full synthetic oil?...lots of threads on here about oils...i like mobil 1 racing 4t...have fun and enjoy man!

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no problem...bike looks great!!!...so clean!!!...judging by the tires in the background it looks like you have a few toys...depending on what kind of condition your filter is in you may be able to clean it and reuse it...not a bad idea to have extras on hand though...you planning on running a full synthetic oil?...lots of threads on here about oils...i like mobil 1 racing 4t...have fun and enjoy man!

http://www.mobiloil...._4T_10W-40.aspx

I have read in the past not to use synthetic to break in a motor but that may be old synth and a wives tale? I usually run Rotella 15-40 dino summer or 5-40 synth winter. I will check out your link.

Thanks!

EDIT: I see that 4T may be preferred. Fine with that... Rotella seems to have a good rep with other bikes but maybe I will switch for this bike.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I have read in the past not to use synthetic to break in a motor but that may be old synth and a wives tale? I usually run Rotella 15-40 dino summer or 5-40 synth winter. I will check out your link.

Thanks!

EDIT: I see that 4T may be preferred. Fine with that... Rotella seems to have a good rep with other bikes but maybe I will switch for this bike.

i have heard similar about switching after break in period, no idea if it's true or not...when i switched from regular oil to mobil 1 4t in my sportbike it shifted much better...then i got this bike (with 8k+ miles) i just did a full oil/filter change and just used the same oil...after poking around on here found that quite a few other members did some research as to why 4t was better than others...i didn't really care cause i was already running it...but everyone has an opinion on oils...i just figure it works and i can pick it up at the local autozone

anyway what modification plans do you have for your bike?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am going to just ride it for a while and see what stands out as far as mods. I will put in a better bulb which I always do. I buy a phillips bulb but I have to order them from the UK since they are not sold here. Brighter and good quality but same wattage.

Likely a rack of some sort too. Perhaps a cyclerack.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts