TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well I was all set to go and buy a klr 650 but alas I could not do it, they ride great and all that but the more I thought about it the more I knew the klr was not for my riding style. So I kept looking and found a package deal on a 2000 dr 650 with 5100 miles and a 00 dr 200 with 1700 miles, the 200 is for the wife, they are both like new,I rode a dr 650 before and did not like it as well as the klr for comfort but I will deal with that, the dr is a way more simple bike to work on and with out all the plastic junk on it. I like the klr don't get me wrong but just not for me. I will post some pics when I get them home....:D I told the wife I was not going to sell the tw and she was a little unhappy about that but she is over it for now:rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Nice choice you will love the get up and go the only thing you need to check is the NSU screws some get loose and fall out and get into the transmission gears. 1579824_10201998371952955_1176161594_n.jpg my 2011. so go to ADV rider dr650 forum and you will get all the help you need see you over there. the DR650 and TW200 are a great deal.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
This is the guy that has every picture of the repairs on the DR650 ER70S-2 sign up go to thumpers and the DR650 thread.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
You will also find a DR200 thread.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
I picked up a low mileage 09 Dr650 myself about a month ago. I was pleasantly surprised at how nimble it felt off road. It didn't feel nearly as heavy as I thought it would.
Fun bike with gobs of power that loves to wheelie with a whole lot more legs than the TW. I will always keep the TW's for going slow and smelling the roses but the DR is for when I feel like being a hooligan.
The seat definitely needs to be replaced. Looks like a Seat Concepts is on the Christmas list.
Dirtracks.com has some fair priced accessories.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I picked up a low mileage 09 Dr650 myself about a month ago. I was pleasantly surprised at how nimble it felt off road. It didn't feel nearly as heavy as I thought it would.
Fun bike with gobs of power that loves to wheelie with a whole lot more legs than the TW. I will always keep the TW's for going slow and smelling the roses but the DR is for when I feel like being a hooligan.
The seat definitely needs to be replaced. Looks like a Seat Concepts is on the Christmas list.
Dirtracks.com has some fair priced accessories.
my bike is the one with the crash bar saddle bag bars on Dirtracks.com.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Dirtracks.com changed the website. dr650%20side%20crash%20bar.jpg 1604302_10201998379993156_674983784_o.jpg I had to fabricate the engine crash bar for the power bomb header pipe see the chrome at the end.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I got the same crash-bars as well as a rear luggage rack from them.
Just finished installation today.
All 4 items added up to 10lbs but I removed the stock grab bars and rear pegs and shed 3 of those lbs.
I'm trying to keep the bike as light as possible.
Its gonna be a long winter waiting to get it out again.
What seat is that on your bike and how do you like it?
Have you "tested" the crash-bars yet? ;)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I got the same crash-bars as well as a rear luggage rack from them.
Just finished installation today.
All 4 items added up to 10lbs but I removed the stock grab bars and rear pegs and shed 3 of those lbs.
I'm trying to keep the bike as light as possible.
Its gonna be a long winter waiting to get it out again.
What seat is that on your bike and how do you like it?
Have you "tested" the crash-bars yet? ;)
I did notice when I ordered mine I thought it was made in southern California but my bars cleared customs from Canada.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I reckon you've made the right choice. Both of those DR's will surely last a long time and give you little to no trouble.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Were those the ones in Hillsboro?
yes they were, got them home today, they are in very nice shape. got them for a little less than advertised just a ok deal but they will work. gotta start the modding now:)
Congratulations! I really wanted to go look at the 650 but I was out of town for a week and a half. I figured it would be gone by the time I got back.

I hope you can share pictures and your riding experience after you have had some time to play with it.

Good job.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
took the 650 out for a first good ride, wow this thing feels like a rocket after riding the ol tw, gotta say I really like the dr a lot, ordered some parts for it yesterday, sprockets(1 tooth bigger on the rear) conversion to 520 chain, grip warmers and such, made a wind deflector for it like the one on my tw (works great), I gotta say like having a new bike to tinker with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts