TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed while i've been trail riding that if I let off the throttle and then immediately twist the throttle, it hesitates. I also have to twist the throttle a little bit to start her up. So first thought, pilot screw. I turned it out to 3.5 and it was a little better. Turned it all the way out to 4 and that is where it stops. I was afraid it would fall out but it doesnt want to turn anymore and seems to be staying in there. It is definitely easier to start now and the throttle response is much better now. It's a 2010 and has done this since I bought it brand new.

Is it normal to replace the pilot jet with a size larger? Has anyone else done this? 430ft above sea level with a 130 main and shimmed needle. It's definitely not running lean anymore and the plug looks perfect.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I suspect a bit of crud in the pilot circuit somewhere, or perhaps a bit of bad machining leaving a partially obstructed passage. I've seen the bad machining on an XT carb, easily rectified with abou 5 twists of a pen drill.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone else have to twist the throttle to get it started? Would it hurt anything to just get a larger pilot? Id prefer not to take a drill bit to the carb guts. I would be really pissed if I messed it up and had to buy a new carb. If there is some sort of blockage like qwerty says, would it fix it by replacing the jet?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
... If there is some sort of blockage like qwerty says, would it fix it by replacing the jet?

If the 3.5 to 4 turns out on the pilot screw doesn't help, I would agree with Qwerty...

The pilot circuit is partially blocked. You can remove the pilot jet and check the holes, but that doesn't mean the internal passageway is clear.

The hole where the fuel from the pilot circuit enters the the carb venturi is really tiny. It wouldn't take much to clog it up.

You didn't say whether you use the choke on startup. You shouldn't need to twist the throttle.

jb

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figure if the engine is above 80° I shouldn't need to use the choke

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant you didn't use the choke at all. Sorry.

The pilot is not a common mod on these bikes. The stock pilot is sufficient to do the job it needs to do. Double-check yours is actually the stock jet. The hole is tiny on the jet so it could just need a good soaking/cleaning or freed of debris.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was having the same thing with my 05, running a 130. I couldn't get it tuned in no matter what I tried, so I dropped down to the 128 and that seems to have fixed it. I'm at about 800 ft.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Id prefer not to take a drill bit to the carb guts.

PSC, don't think of a drill in your hands . . . you would just use the bit (and it's tiny) with your fingers to GENTLY clean out the jet. In fact, I wouldn't install a new one without cleaning it out as well.

When you have an orifice that small, it doesn't take much to effect flow.

Good Luck!!

Bag

1 - 10 of 10 Posts