TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a '13 which sat over the winter without running (in storage). I did turn off the gas and run it out of fuel before storing, but this spring getting it out it seems to always need the choke now to get started, and I don't believe it had in years past. Anyway, so i pulled the carb and took out the pilot and main jets and soaked in carb cleaner. Rinsed off. I read to note the number of times the pilot screw (assuming the pilot jet is the pilot screw??) is turned out so you can return it to that setting upon reassembly. I tried my best to turn it in to count how many turns it was turned out, but it seemed to be seated all the way in. Is this possible? Should I rotate the pilot jet out 2.5 turns as is suggested? Is there another pilot screw I'm missing? I'm assuming the pilot jet is the pilot screw. Jets btw did not look very plugged up, but wanted to clean them and the bowl out as it hasn't been done and it's a 2013. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Think I found the answer to part of my question. Seems the pilot screw is concealed and not really to be adjusted. Needs a cap broken through to gain access. I see in this pic from rockymountain where it is (16), and it is NOT the pilot jet (15).

So, I should then snug the pilot jet in the whole way, and I don't think I'm going to mess with the pilot screw just yet. Put it all back together and give it a go as-is.

Do most of you all have to choke the bike to get it started and idling for a min or so when it's say 50F outside?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Be very careful turning in the pilot screw. Do it gently. If it is in all of the way, back it out about 3 turns and then screw it back in again until it just stops. Do not turn it in tight. It will ruin the tip. I always back out to 2 1/2 turns and then adjust the needle to tun the carb. Have never had a problem doing it this way. The jet and needle are the way to adjust these simple carbs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, didn’t even access the pilot screw. Just pulled the jets and cleaned and reinstalled. Fired right up. Hope to get it to start without the choke as it warms a little.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes the TW loves the choke to cold start.

If it still runs bad it’s still your pilot jet. A lot of people just replace them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts