TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone made or found a tool that makes quick work of pilot screw adjustments? I don’t mind loosening the clamps and tilting the carb, but entry from the right side of the bike seems like if there’s the right stubby screwdriver or ratchet attachment it might be easier?

Please post pictures of your methods, tools, or creations!

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Stubby blade screwdriver can work but I now like just a 1/4' drive hex blade bit about 1.5 inch long.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I bought one of these plus an extra air screw in case I messed up, and modified so the new screw replaced the one that came with this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGFIYC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41jmr1wXA7L._SL1200_.jpg

51nD76uB5DL._SL1000_.jpg

I have a bunch of photos on how I did it, and if I find them, I'll attach here. But basically I just chucked up a drill bit in my press, clamped the air screw between a couple blocks of wood so I wouldn't damage it, then bore drilled away. I attached using Liquid Steel. This works great for me as I ride areas where the elevation can change by thousands of feet in a day. I've even been able to adjust based on air temperature; warmer air being less dense than cold air, damp air also less dense than dry air. When I go to the coast, I can adjust for that as well. Just a twist of knob as I ride to find the sweet spot and I'm rippin'!!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I've tried several different things on mine, they all worked, some easier & more/less accurate than others.

If I was buying one for myself, or you, (I'm not!) I'd jump on this eBay Chinese special:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/105-Degree-Angle-1-4-inch-Extension-Hex-Screwdriver-Drill-Bits-Holder-Adapter-DD/173741772017?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D58205%26meid%3Dd9fa1e13da7944fb898190c704d37206%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D143199588382%26itm%3D173741772017&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uGMAAOSwEp5cPWwk/s-l400.jpg

$3.21 and free ship. That's one of those "Sore Willy" deals...you can't beat it!
Estimated between Tue. Jun. 4 and Thu. Jun. 13.

I've used one like this...Easy Peasy!
And you don't have to rotate the carby.
It shows it being used with a power drill.
Just use fingers, of course!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I bought one of these plus an extra air screw in case I messed up, and modified so the new screw replaced the one that came with this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGFIYC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 193508

View attachment 193510

I have a bunch of photos on how I did it, and if I find them, I'll attach here. But basically I just chucked up a drill bit in my press, clamped the air screw between a couple blocks of wood so I wouldn't damage it, then bore drilled away. I attached using Liquid Steel. This works great for me as I ride areas where the elevation can change by thousands of feet in a day. I've even been able to adjust based on air temperature; warmer air being less dense than cold air, damp air also less dense than dry air. When I go to the coast, I can adjust for that as well. Just a twist of knob as I ride to find the sweet spot and I'm rippin'!!
This I would like to see....looks like a great idea and doesn't cost much. I ride year round and seasonal/weather based adjustment seems like a great idea. Weather patterns and air pressure changes wouldn't matter anymore!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just ordered this on amazon trying to avoid going mad scientist on perfectly good tools... we’ll see how this one works. Might be a good one for the books with all the people making regular temp/elevation adjustments!

Once I saw you could just use the ratcheting disc by itself, it looks super low-profile and might be the perfect size to just place in your hand and line up coming in from the right side of the bike over the exhaust pipe.

CF4BE1B0-3E7C-4D7E-B13E-EFC916D50658_1558476210992.jpeg

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
IMG_0213.JPG

This works perfect for me. One full turn on the rear knob is one full revolution of the screw. The angle is also perfect for the TW pilot screw. It is Mac tool SD90 and comes in handy all the time.

GaryL

·
Registered
19 Posts
I pulled my pilot screw out, drilled a shallow hole in the outer end and soldered an L shaped piece of brazing rod into the hole. Works well, cheap, no waiting.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pulled my pilot screw out, drilled a shallow hole in the outer end and soldered an L shaped piece of brazing rod into the hole. Works well, cheap, no waiting.
I spent $50 bucks today from the guy TW Newb mentioned... figured I’d be spending $50 bucks on a radracing carb if I tried what you did and screwed up, which with my luck, would be the most likely outcome.

I’ll take pictures putting on the pilot screw adjustment cable post up when it’s all back together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts