TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Got a 1998 t dub. it has an older style carb, as the pilot screw is inside the bowl, not outside. anyways, the washer that goes on the pilot screw after the spring, does not allow the threads to reach the threads in the carb body. I can see why the washer is there (so it doesn't tear up the o ring). Did I get the wrong carb kit?

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
The o-ring goes in the groove on the head of the screw.

P3190024 (2).JPG

You can tell if it is making a good seal by inserting it backwards. If it is real loose it is a bad seal. I was having troubles tuning my bike but then I replaced the little o-ring it made a huge difference. I guess air leaking around the o-ring prevented fuel from being drawn in. Put a drop of oil on the o-ring so it slides in easily.

P3190026 (2).JPG

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Reactions: elime and Ken

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

View attachment 161529

You can tell if it is making a good seal by inserting it backwards. If it is real loose it is a bad seal. I was having troubles tuning my bike but then I replaced the little o-ring it made a huge difference. I guess air leaking around the o-ring prevented fuel from being drawn in. Put a drop of oil on the o-ring so it slides in easily.

View attachment 161537
That's a good trick to see if that seals well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, it's just me, the KING of stupid questions. So, where is that little washer supposed to go?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put the o ring where its supposed to go and it don't even fill up half the space...idk, don't look right to me.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Hey guys, it's just me, the KING of stupid questions. So, where is that little washer supposed to go?
I took the idle mixture screw out of a spare carburetor and there is no washer. If it were me I would put it between the screw and the spring.
P8240046.JPG

I put the o ring where its supposed to go and it don't even fill up half the space...idk, don't look right to me.
If you look into the hole the where the mixture screw goes you will see a step about a 1/4" or so inside. The o-ring is supposed to make a seal between the screw and the outer wall of the hole as it goes past this step. If it only fills half the groove it doesn't matter as long as the seal between the wall and screw is maintained.

Try putting the screw in backwards without the o-ring and see how it feels. Then try with the o-ring. I should be more difficult as the o-ring gets compressed. If not, then the o-ring is to small.

P8240044.JPG P8240045.JPG

·
Banned
83 Posts

View attachment 161529

View attachment 161537
Where Did You Buy It ? The Little O- Ring

·
Registered
457 Posts
can you share a picture ??

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Where Did You Buy It ? The Little O- Ring
I think I got it out of an o-ring kit I bought at Harbor Freight but honestly I am not sure.

The O ring makes the seal - the spring provides the tension for adjustment - and the washer stops the spring from damaging the O ring .....
On mine the spring does not touch the o-ring. As I said before, if I had a washer I would put it between the spring and the screw. BTW, the o-ring in the picture needs replacing. Putting it in the hole backwards I can feel it is loose and it looks flattened on the side and no doubt not making a good seal.

P8240044 (2).JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm gonna ditch the washer and go thru an o ring kit and see if I can find one that's a better fit. I'll keep y'all posted on how it works- thanks for the replies!

·
Banned
83 Posts
I think I got it out of an o-ring kit I bought at Harbor Freight but honestly I am not sure.

On mine the spring does not touch the o-ring. As I said before, if I had a washer I would put it between the spring and the screw. BTW, the o-ring in the picture needs replacing. Putting it in the hole backwards I can feel it is loose and it looks flattened on the side and no doubt not making a good seal.

View attachment 161625
Hard To Find Super Tight O- Ring Kits In Sri Lanka. Let me know the correct size (ID) of the O- Ring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sri Lanka...Sri Lanka?? are you freaking kidding me?? That is why the internet is so awesome! Vishwa, I have a digital micrometer that I haven't used in a long time, so I went out and bought a brand new battery so I could use it. Actually, I had to take a drawer pull my wife bought and didn't like it so I took it back and got the battery at the same time...I even got $2.64 back from the store, but I digress. I still can't believe a guy from Sri Lanka is reading this. Here goes: the spot where the o ring is supposed to go is 3.47mm inside diameter. The outside portion is 5.97mm. the width is hard for me to measure...1.85mm is the one I get most of the time. Dang, I don't have the carb in front of me to measure what the inside diameter is that this pilot screw fits in. Hopefully, somebody in the wonderful internet t-dub world can help us with that. I do not know how much bigger the o ring needs to be in order for it to correctly seal this area. FWIW, the o ring that came in the carb kit I bought-to the best of my ability to measure-inside dia 3.7mm, 5.5mm outside, 1 mm thick. To note, make sure that the o ring can withstand the effects of petroleum products eroding it. From one guy in the middle-of nowhere to another in the middle-of-nowhere, I hope I can be of some help

·
Banned
83 Posts
Sri Lanka...Sri Lanka?? are you freaking kidding me?? That is why the internet is so awesome! Vishwa, I have a digital micrometer that I haven't used in a long time, so I went out and bought a brand new battery so I could use it. Actually, I had to take a drawer pull my wife bought and didn't like it so I took it back and got the battery at the same time...I even got $2.64 back from the store, but I digress. I still can't believe a guy from Sri Lanka is reading this. Here goes: the spot where the o ring is supposed to go is 3.47mm inside diameter. The outside portion is 5.97mm. the width is hard for me to measure...1.85mm is the one I get most of the time. Dang, I don't have the carb in front of me to measure what the inside diameter is that this pilot screw fits in. Hopefully, somebody in the wonderful internet t-dub world can help us with that. I do not know how much bigger the o ring needs to be in order for it to correctly seal this area. FWIW, the o ring that came in the carb kit I bought-to the best of my ability to measure-inside dia 3.7mm, 5.5mm outside, 1 mm thick. To note, make sure that the o ring can withstand the effects of petroleum products eroding it. From one guy in the middle-of nowhere to another in the middle-of-nowhere, I hope I can be of some help
Thanks . It Heaps Me

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
I put this o-ring on a spare mixture screw and then installed it in the carburetor. It was a tight fit but it would work well. A teeny tiny bit smaller might be easier to work with.
P8260045.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts