TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about a planned-out route - 100 Miles Minimum, asphalt roads (the nicest kind), sandy and gravel roads (little to no mud, no single track with the main group), great lunch stops. Weekend Camp out..

Why a Freedom Ride...? I like the name, it sounds cool and riding makes me feel free even though I live in NJ..

Any interest?:confused:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That sounds good. I do something very similar with a Ural group every Spring, usually the weekend before Memorial Day. Tent camp at Turtle Run Campground because they are extremely motorcycle friendly. Let me know when you decide on a date. Love the Pines.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There's historic log cabins on Atsion lake here:

Department of Environmental Protection

There are also many other campgrounds from primitives to motels hotels.

There are options for everyone. Hundreds of miles of dirt roads and twisty country roads.

I'm thinking a well planned and trialed fall ride with at least four pre-run day rides through the spring summer with a small recon team..

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are making a list put me on it! I've never ridden in the Pine Barrens and would really like to. I would do camping or motel/hotel/cabin whatever..
Also, I'd like to join you on some recon rides if that's a possibility.

Thanks
Bill
North West NJ

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like we're at least getting a little interest. Thanks to those who chimed in! I'm taking note of who wants to do what. Once there is consensus we'll draft an action plan.

I think we could have a lot of fun. I know a lot of places but I really want to do it right, meaning planned routes. Recon is crucial in putting a long enough ride togearher so that it will be feature filled enough to be rememberable and most importantly on a GPS of at least two or three people so there is no single point of failure for a successful ride. I'd hate to be out of commission or be in a work emergeancy and wind up ruining anyone's time. I don't anticipate any issues but the smart move is to have a small recon group that knows the ride so there is a100% guarantee of success.

So is there anyone else with a serious interest? We can rename the ride if that's an issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll need a local riding buddy, (someone close by hopefully) so we can do regular exploring and pre-runs etc..

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been asked why no single tracks on this ride? Technically there are no legal single tracks here.. don't get me going. Anyway singletracking has to be stealth. Big groups would attract to much attention. I ran one of if not the largest 4x4 forums here for many years. Posting rides of that nature is a no-no. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would be interested in the weekend and can bring a small travel trailer to sleep in, Ide prefer over a tent,
Have bike and can travel,
Also would like to do some of the pre trail runs,
Peter B
I was really hoping you would reply. Thanks, between the two of us we should be able to pull this off. I know you know the woods down here. How's things? I hope good!

RBM, how far away are you?

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd guess 1 1/2 to 2 hrs drive, what would be a convenient meeting place by you?
Im flexible and will give way to those with the longer drives like you and pred. I have a trailer too. Let me write a list of places I want to pre-run and we'll try to find a place to meet for the first run that makes sense. I'm thinking a little west of where the parkway meets rt 70 would be good for you two guys as a starting point to hop on the bikes. That way your both close to the main road back to your homes and we would be able to start the pre-run in the far north end of the pine Barrens and work south on each future run.. We could meet at the Pic-a-Lilly in Wharton for the south end, and Greenwood forest for the central.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I was really hoping you would reply. Thanks, between the two of us we should be able to pull this off. I know you know the woods down here. How's things? I hope good!

RBM, how far away are you?
\

My schedule is nutty but flexible,
Please lets try the phone thing,
Im messaging you my # now

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
\

My schedule is nutty but flexible,
Please lets try the phone thing,
Im messaging you my # now
I got your message, will do. Have a good trip, take plenty of pics for the memories ;)

Reactions: littletommy
1 - 20 of 28 Posts