TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK,
Im not sure what will happen as folks want to go and it seems like we can't get a weekend clear due to scheduling issues,
Well I AM FREE September the 10th and I would love to meet who ever can make it to
Atsion Recreation Area
715 Rt. 206, Shamong, NJ 08088
609-268-0444
Ill be in the rear lot which is all grass at 8:30am IF its a clear day without rain,
I can guide or just ride till about 2:30-3:30 before I have to leave,
There are tons of fire roads, Tree grown railroad tracks and lots of nice single track riding, There are several logged in my GPS and its an easy ride for the beginners and for the more experienced, Well, Go faster on single track,
If you can make it,
Please PM me or Email me and send your phone number,
Im hoping that a few will show,
Mike will be coming and his friend with a Ural,
The TWs will get to the far reaches of the Pines where the Jersey Devil dwells ! !
SEPT 10, 2016 at the address listed above,
My email is
[email protected].
~ ~ ~
Ill bring a host of tools and spare fuel so we can all be full.
My guess is you will tire before you run out of fuel,
Please understand that you will need a licensed bike with a plate to legally be thru the Barrens,
If you don't have a License plate, Understand that legally you're not allowed and the park ranger can cause trouble,
~ ~ ~
Hope to meet a few forum members there ! ! !
Peter B
Sorry for duplicate post,
Hoping for a get together with short timing,

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Barring torrential rain I'll be there.
mike wex/stagewex

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Forecast is 88 and Sunny. Yippeeee.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Last I heard, that whole Atsion lot is fenced closed. I no longer ride Wharton forest (2 years now), I ride Brendan Byrne forest a few miles north. I'll be there this weekend, just not sure what day yet. I'll be with about 7 others. Your welcome to join us, but not sure the TW's will keep up with our quick pace, we move along pretty good. Look into parking at Atsion before you go. I know it was closed during Spring and early Summer. I heard this on our face book group that ride the pines. So just a heads up. I'm talking about the Atsion Ranger Station on north bound side of Rt 206, not the Atsion Lake on south bound side.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I had asked over on Soviet Steeds and parking in the field behind the Ranger Station is still open/allowed. Guys just rode Wharton last weekend.
But I guess we'll find out for sure in 48 hours.

Gett'in Ready. Tree hugger from my Jeep. I've only been in these woods with 3 or 4 wheels. This will be interesting.
IMG_5642.JPG

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like it may just be the two of us,
Ide like to hit some of the real narrow single track and also try and get to a remote spot I knew years ago,
If anyone decides to go,
Feel free to call or text me
215~~983~~65~~87
If you call, Please leave a message as the cell does not get great reception at my house of in the building where I work,
Text will get to me pretty good,
Peter B

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to bring a Raffle prize,
But seems a bit silly,
I have the weekend off so no matter, I will be there ready to find as many spiderwebs with my face as I can.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
We be gett'in wet and muddy today. Some big rain around here last night. Still stupidly humid even at 6:30am.
Whoo-Hoo.

IMG_5668.JPG

On my way
IMG_5671.JPG

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. Humid here.
Just ran a couple trails waiting for mike.
Going to try to post scenic view from phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Lying about "warm".
We had torrential showers the night before up by my house, about 20 miles north of NYC. Getting up at 5:30am it was still humid out. Got on the road at 6:30 and 107 miles later O arrived. Never done just a day trip to the Pines, usually combine it with a camping trip but it was worth it. Hot but not as humid when I parked. It never rained down South Jersey. Yes, ample and friendly parking right at the Ranger Station Field. We parked way back in the the backfield, Horse Trailer parking with no one else there. There were a bunch of trucks and trailers and bikes parked under the shade tree right next to the Ranger Station. No hassles by the Rangers and welcoming. These guys were actually doing group calisthenics when I was pulling in. Looked almost like a professional riding team with full body armor suits and real serious bikes.
We went into the woods at 9:30am and came out at 2:00pm. Pred (Peter) had a bunch of trails and waypoints listed on his Garmin so we followed those when we could.
Some trails marked as non-motorvehicle made us adjust our path. But still tons and tons of infinite riding opportunities. I"ve been in this area before but on 4 wheels (Jeep) and 3 wheels (Ural). As soon as we hit single track this was another planet for me.
It had warmed up into the mid 90's now and the humidity was building. When you are having fun you don't notice.

IMG_5667.JPG

IMG_5677.JPG

IMG_5678.jpg

IMG_5681.jpg

IMG_5686.JPG

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Took our first break and I was exhausted. Looked at my odometer and saw we only went 3 miles, Good Lord!!!
The very small and narrow single track, even trails that had been overgrown were lots of fun and of equal challenge to the TDub (and 2 wheel novice, me). But once we hit larger terrain and the Sugar Sand that the Pines are know for it was a very difficult and technical ride. On the Ural it's about getting stuck. On the TDub it's about staying up. Second break we took some air out of my tires and between that and me getting used to it, bike handled better. I have an oem tire on the front, Pred has a Shinko.
And it was getting hotter and hotter. I was wearing a full-face, gloves, thick denim jacket and boots. At some point I could not get the gloves on anymore because they were so wet from perspiration so glad I had installed those hand-guards a few weeks ago. We both brought a bunch of water and were always hydrating.

IMG_5688.JPG

One of the trails dead-ended at a river. Really beautiful.
IMG_5689.jpg

Basto Fire Tower. We came out of the woods and made two attempts around this area to get to other trails. One of them identified as a firing range we we skidattled out of there right away. Sadly no access to the top of the tower
IMG_5696.jpg

Some trails were marked and some were not. The ones not marked were "anything goes" though when we took a few of those on the other end we sometimes found we were not supposed to be on it. When we could we always tried to follow the rules. I think we saw maybe 3-4 Rangers/Police in the woods all day. They all waved and seemed to be there more to make sure everyone was ok rather than busting your chops. I've never seen a horse on these trails but I guess there wouldn't be a sign if it never happened. Also, we were parked in the "Horse Trailer" field so...
IMG_5706.jpg

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Calamities, a few minor:

I had most of my extraction gear stowed under all the other crap in the milk crate. But at one of the stops I pulled my small cooler out to get some water and didn't repack properly. Even with a cargo net on top the combination of the woop-de-do's and the snap-hook on my extraction rope made for a disaster. At first I kinda felt like someone or something was tapping me on the back or shoulder (The Jersey Devil?) but figured I'd see what it was at the next break.
IMG_5704.JPG

Think of a boat propeller going over an anchor line. I went from 15-20mph to zero immediately. Bike slid to a stop on a straight line. I thought the engine had seized.
We cut the line and Pred removed the brake lever. That little washer that is also the tiny rear-brake-arrow-thingy was toast. We had to remove it just to get the lever back on to function. A bit later and a little field dressing and I was on the road again.
IMG_5708.JPG

Guess I'll get another one of these.
IMG_5709.jpg

Water holes were almost all dry which surprised me. The South Jersey area unofficially seems to be in drought conditions. We mostly were able to ride around the few water holes we saw. But I just had to ride through one that seems to be shallow... turned out it wasn't. Bike stalled and we were able to pull it backwards out of the mud.
No pix of my second embarrassment.

One of Preds side bags was "gored" by a sharp-looking branch sticking out the side of a rail. Lucky it wasn't his leg.

Final Baptism for my bike was at the end of the day. You could be doing 15-20mph and just around the bend miles of sand. Eventually I had to lay it down. It was a soft landing thank goodness. Nothing broke or bent. And we both walked out of there safe and in one piece.
IMG_5711.JPG

Pred loaded his bike on his carrier but I wanted to ride a bit so we went up the road to Angies for grub but unfortunately there were closed. He had to split. I road around for awhile and was thankful to be on pavement. But man, that was a lot of fun.
IMG_5715.JPG

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
PS:
Not finding food I took a left and went to the Atsion Family Camgounds where I had stayed years ago. I was so dirt, sweat and mud ridden that I went into the restroom, stripped and just stood under one of the shower heads to cool down. Now mind you I had no change of clothes or towel with me (back at the Jeep). So I just drip-dried in my underwear on a park bench nearby. That didn't take long in the heat and no one was camping so I was by myself. Changed into clean clothes back at the trailer, loaded-up and headed to my Dad's (he's 89 years old) in Brick, NJ. He and my step-mom were leaving for Florida today so this was a last chance to see him before they left.
My brother Dave rode his bike (Yamaha Star, 900cc) down from Northern NJ and was a dishrag of sweat when we both simultaneously arrived. He asked me to trailer his bike back as well. Coincidentally he had brought some loading-straps, hmmm. After dinner we visited yet another brother for drinks who lives by Asbury Park. By the time I got home after the additional bike and brother drop-off it was close to midnight. But a really great day. I want to go again but when it is cooler like in November and maybe make it an overnighter. I want to get in a little better shape as well before then.

The way to the campgrounds. Also the old Atco Racetrack. Kinda like being in a Bruce Springsteen song around these parts.
IMG_5718.JPG

Picked up another bike and a brother on my way home.
IMG_5728.JPG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts