TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next Saturday. So far me, my friend Luis who just bought a '18 xt250 and Jersey Jeeper. JJ will be our navigator.
Been trying to get ahold of Peter/Predator from Philly my usual Pines companion but Have not been able to get in touch with him. He has not posted for awhile so hope is all well with him?

By coincidence I'm down in the area for the Annual "Jersey Devil Hunt" which is a off-road sidecar camping and riding event, arriving/riding Thursday and Friday.

Saturday I'll switch over to the TW. Come the night before and camp (could rain Fri) or just come for the ride early Saturday. The campground puts out a really nice all-you-can-eat breakfast with eggs, sausage, bacon, Taylor ham (or Pork Roll depending on which part of New Jersey you come from), etc for $20.00. We can pop into town and get sandwiches later on if hungry.

Great roads and even more fun when wet.

We'd be starting from here:
Turtle Cove Campground
3 Cedar Lane
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
Home Page

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Mike has all the good video, had the most cameras and best battery life. He'll have his videos up soon and one should include me dropping mine in 2/3 feet if water in a deep hole. I had to pull the spark plug and blow a little water out before trying to start it (always better to take the time than hit the magic button) We were about 25 miles in at the time and it was raining pretty good. We road about 80 miles in the woods. It was 70% flooded with it raining hard for four days strait. Here's a video of one of the few roads that were not flooded. It's when I realized I lost those guys behind me. I saw the tracks and the tail end of a ktm and I wanted to catch up to to find out if he knew which trails were not closed by the state. I forgot to keep eyes behind me for a bit and lost them but I tracked back and all was well... I built a giant gps route map based of the states map but roads on the map marked open were closed in real life when we got there. The end of the video shows the 14 trail intersection, we were real lucky that we found each other. It was all hunt and peck, 100% gps navigating the whole way. A great day, some real good stucks requiring all three people to pull me out a few times.. taking point in swamp water has its pitfalls :)

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
A quick edit on my iPhone... part of the same footage but with music and stuff.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Hello..Im from Long Island and wonder if there are any maps etc. as to where to ride in the Pine Barrens area
Thanks
Wharton State forest. Don't get lost n there, it's easier than you think. Every road looks the same and ther are hundreds of miles of roads. Plot a map on gps and make sure you know how to use it. Bring spare batteries ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Hello... we got a bit wet but it was a lot of fun!!
I had a great time riding with you. You are a great rider! Thanks for helping pull my bike out of the slop (all those times), especially the one where my boots were stuck in so deep that I couldn't get myself out no less my bike... That was an epic ride for sure. We may not see another like that in our lifetime.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Another short edited on my phone.. What a great ride. This video just makes me want to go riding right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I'm sure Mike has the best video. My battery died in less than an hour. His ran all day, so he probably has some real entertaining stuff. And man was it raining. When we got down next to the river the puddles were averaging 18" deep.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
That looked like one heck of a giant snake in that first video that I posted... I wonder what it was?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello... we got a bit wet but it was a lot of fun!!
Hey, I know who this is. Welcome Luis. Your XT250 ain't new no more. But she did real good.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
That looked like one heck of a giant snake in that first video that I posted... I wonder what it was?

I think the snake was the highly venomous "Rope Snake". Since it was a little wet, at least you didn't have to worry about loose dry sand eh? :p

When it rains out here off-road riding is kind of halted due to the clayish tire sticking jumbo mud. You got to keep riding even through the dampness. Just think, if it was hot out know would know if you were sweaty or wet from rain.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Those guys have no idea how lucky they were that it was raining. Mike went down in the deep sand anyway and had some carnage, broken mirror i think. Even when wet the deep stuff is treacherous.. but when dry! Fa geta bout-it.. ;)

I think the snake was the highly venomous "Rope Snake". Since it was a little wet, at least you didn't have to worry about loose dry sand eh? :p

When it rains out here off-road riding is kind of halted due to the clayish tire sticking jumbo mud. You got to keep riding even through the dampness. Just think, if it was hot out know would know if you were sweaty or wet from rain.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This ride that we took last Saturday was enveloped within the "Spring Jersey Devil Hunt", a mostly Russian sidecar event. They do a Fall ride, a Turkey Leftovers Ride and a Day after (or close to) New Years Ride but from different starting points in and around the vast Pine Barrens region.

Scotty/J. Jeeper showed up Saturday nite hung out around the campfire with the sidecar guys and a new person who brought both a sidecar AND a TW. I had never met him but in the morning he left, the rain and weather was just too much for him I guess? There was a huge campground kitchen breakfast and after we took off on the TW's along with a friend Luis's who showed up in the am with his brand-new XT250.

I'm still putting that footage together but here's a look at the sidecar ride I took the day before. I rode "monkey" (passenger) this time, didn't bring my rig.
It rained 3-4 days in a row and was raining for almost all of this ride. The conditions the next day were somewhat worse:

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
What a great videographer. Nice job Mike.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So finally finished the next days ride(s) video. Too much good footage. Hard to believe this was just a week ago.
Actually there were two rides... the sidecar guys did their's and we (me, J. Jeeper, my buddy Luis and his brand-new 2018 xt250) broke away and did our own Dual Sport ride.

My camera's started rolling (3 of them) at noon and end that day at 6:30pm. Probably the longest I've ever been in these woods for such a sustained period. With the exception of a quickie break for food & fuel.

We left so late because we thought things "gotta get better" weather-wise but that never happened. Rained hard almost the whole time. Sometimes it's tough to get started but ohhhh, what a ride through mayhem, sand and water.

For some reason it always seems to raining or storming so far this Spring into Summer so if you don't like to get wet, muddy or engulfed in quicksand don't bother riding with me. Must have a Dark Cloud over my head?

Turn you sound way up and enjoy:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts