TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple questions I'm posting--staying on topic, so breaking them up. I just finished giving a complete cleaning and microscope inspection to my "new" 2000 TW, with 2000 miles on it. It was in pretty good shape when I got it, but it had been stored outside near the ocean for awhile, so more rust on the frame than I'd like, but otherwise fine. The carb had the usual varnish deposits, but otherwise was not too bad. I found the freakin airscrew turned all the way in after I drilled the plug out, so turned it out 2 turns and the bike now idles great. However, both before and after the cleaning, the bike makes what sounds like a pinging sound irregularly when idling. The sound occurs in sync with combustion, and appears to be coming from the top end. It is irregular, meaning it can go ping... ping ping ping.......... ping. Sometimes it doesn't make noise at all. More than often it will be quiet when the engine has just been started (when cold). I don't detect any pinging or noise when I'm moving with power on the throttle--just when idling. Especially after the cleaning, the throttle is quite responsive and the engine appears to run great (although hotter than any bike I've had before). It is possible these intermittent noises are something other than a ping (which is exactly what they sound like). I don't want to over-richen the idle, so wanted to ask the opinion of other TW riders first. The bike has all the stock jets of the pre-2001 bikes (114 Main, and I forget the slow jet sizes at the moment). The noise is not valve slap--checked that cold and it was midrange, within spec. Thanks!

·
Registered
464 Posts
It is possible that what you are hearing is normal for a hot air-cooled engine. Piston to cylinder clearances increase with heat as does the valve lash. Maybe you could find another TW to listen to. My TW sure doesn't sound like a Bentley when it is hot.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Mine will ping as you've described when the idle is too low. Just a thought.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Do you know what's in the fuel tank? If not, a cheap diagnostic procedure would be to drain the tank and put a known quality fuel in.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Mine will ping as you've described when the idle is too low. Just a thought.
+1. (New quirk in the system. You can't just say "+1" anymore. lol. Gotta be at least 5 characters)

So "Plus One":p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1. (New quirk in the system. You can't just say "+1" anymore. lol. Gotta be at least 5 characters)

So "Plus One":p
By low, do you mean RPM or idle mixture? My idle speed is spot on per the manual. I haven't tried messing around with the idle screw other than the 2 turns out I've got it now. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts