TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the site, and all the great info, and have found the pinned stuff useful. but... I keep coming back time and time again and continue to need to scroll past all the pinned items to read the new stuff below. was wondering if maybe a top level directory called IMPORTANT STUFF or something like that could all the pinned stuff could be put there.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I agree. A "stickies" folder would be nice with a title to draw newbies' attentions, "Sticky folder: frequently asked questions/mods/procedures". It could even be broken down with sub-folders for the engine, carb, electrical, drivetrain, common mods, part numbers, misc, etc.

It wasn't bad when we had 3 stickies, but now that they are adding up (which is a good thing) it'd be nice to see them all in one place. Plus, it'd help clean up the other folders so one doesn't have to scroll down past them each time.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Totally agree with this and have thought about it every time I visit this site, every couple of hours that is.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing for a while now. I think it would really help clean up the Forum and make it easier to point people to the info they come looking for. I also think there needs to be a standing rule which can not be violated....No More Oil Threads LOL

If the mods need help with something like this I have the time to help.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't know the inner-workings of the IP Board software as well as I do V-Bulletin, but over at MOA we added a separate forum segment. It's called Links and References It's sort of based on a very nice thread organization that Wildman did over at ADV in the Parallel Universe section. If something did come of this, I'd like to suggest the first post in the new segment to be "How to search this site like you owned it". I can't remember who did it but it's a good one. OM

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
It is good to hear folks like the forum. As well, improvements can certainly make the forum even better. I don't really know the in's and out's of how a forum works, but I suspect it requires a certain amount of cash, likely ongoing. Think it is safe to say, keeping a good forum going also requires a fair amount of time. I doubt our moderators get any money, but then I might be wrong. It is good to hear someone volunteer to do a bit of 'tweaking' to the system but I suspect given what Charles has into this project, it would be hard to place such responsibility into the hands of a stranger, just my thought.

What might be a reasonable inducement is to have someone pledge some money to the project. Once one persons say's 'I really value this forum and am willing to donate $ XXX to make it better', this may inspire others to do the same. When Tracy, Wes or Charles see how serious folks are perhaps the above changes will come about. Gerry

·
Registered
566 Posts
...to need to scroll past all the pinned items to read the new stuff below...
Agreed.

...over at MOA we added a separate forum segment. It's called Links and References...
Good idea.

...What might be a reasonable inducement is to have someone pledge some money to the project...
In my experience on other forums, making a new category is just a matter of getting the admin to do it. Where the money comes in is hosting, software and support. In other forums supporting members donate yearly and get a banner. I would not be opposed to donating, but I always though the banners a bit ostentatious.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I have said this a number of times before. Really, I do not want to seem like a jerk. I am here for the same reasons as many of you. If you have been hear awhile, my hope is that you realize, I have put money and time where my 'mouth' seems to have placed me. This forum does not use banners and it seems Charles is opposed to 'charging for admission'.

Gentlemen, if you value what you are getting (for free) step up to the plate and make a commitment... Really, this is not to belittle anyone. Likely as I have not ridden my bike much over the last two years, I will be moving on in the not to distant future...

In situations as described above, this is what ' I think' needs to be done.

Charles, (Wes and Tracy) I have really enjoyed the many years I have had interacting with members of this forum. It has left me with a feeling of belonging, eased my apprehensions about modding my TW200 and as well, given me an opportunity to contribute to fine folks from all over the world, be they white, black short or tall. It seems we all have a common interest. It seems as well, this fine forum is due for a bit of fine tuning. I suspect you have a process in place to deal with such issues. I suspect as well it will likely take time and money. I have more time than money, but suspect the cash is easier to convert into the change that is needed.

Please reference the suggested changes posted above and rest assured, should the ideas seem worthy, you can count on me (as in the past) to contribute (Pay-Pal) the modest sum of $25. It is my hope as well that others enjoying the forum and seeing the need for change will contribute an amount they are comfortable with.

Thanks again for such a great place to 'PLAY' .... Gerry

(I have now made a commitment to change.........)

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Well said! In in for $25 as well. Where do we send it?

Thank you Sir. Should the concern be shared by others, I hope additional commitments (any amount) will follow. Should it appear we have the financial 'backing' then I, or any of us can approach Charles, Wes or Tracy. Commitment confirms concern. I would like to imagine, change will follow. Gerry

·
Registered
566 Posts
If I were king, considering mrgizmow's and some others' contributions to the board, I wouldn't take their money. Some people consistently and frequently contribute trustworthy tech, useful ideas, and encouragement to other members. IMO, their contribution has been made.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It should perhaps be said; the board is not broken. Nothing must be fixed. I do appreciate what we have (as I'm sure everyone does), and I'm thankful to the admin and mods for it. I suppose though, it's human nature to tinker with things to try and make them better. Much like what we do with our bikes.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think it'd be nice to hear from the administrator on the subject before we just throw money at it. If you want to make a monetary donation for the sake of making a donation, great. But the request being made shouldn't require finances, just an administrator's acceptance. And if it becomes accepted then their time and effort and thought would be needed. This thread is an opportunity for everyone to chime in on what could be done if the request is accepted.

If the initial goal was to clean up the other forums, we'd just need a new top-level directory and move ALL pinned items into said folder. Done.

I have plenty of time to tinker with this, but if I don't have administrator's rights then I'm dead in the water. Chopper (administrator) hasn't signed-in for the last month so it may take a while before he sees the request and can make a response.

·
Registered
566 Posts
As long as we're just throwing ideas out there... If donations are accepted, I'd say a move to vBulletin is in order. I believe it has the easiest to use, most customizable UI, it's the easiest to search and it's extremely easy to moderate. I cannot be sure, but it may be possible the threads from the old forum and from here could both be transfered to a new vBulletin forum.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I don't see money being thrown at anything. So far it seems there have been a few ideas presented as to how the forum might be improved. A couple of people said they are willing to "then" donate a modest amount of money to off-set the time and expense 'someone' has to expend to get the job done. In my opinion, it's unlikely that the amount of money raised would be significant.

We don't see Charles here, likely because he no longer has a TW. Why he continues to subsidize the forum is beyond me. I think the most he has gotten from 'us' is a nice TW Tee shirt.

I was here when we changed from the old forum to this new format. I was under the impression Charles put a great deal of thought into going with the software/program/vendor that he did. With this in mind, we can suggest anything, but I will say, likely we are with this package for a while longer.

My whole point here folks is, this is not a social welfare program. Unless some of you are sending Charles a gift certificate to Happy Steak once a week, the man ain't getting much from this group..

One of the first things that folks say when they get on the forum is, "what a great forum" lots of information and helpful people. I understand the desire to see something good, and wish that it was even better. Seems natural to me. What I find personally frustrating, and I have ranted about this a few times is; folks seem to be big with the ideas, but real slow to go out of their way to add value. Seldom do I hear folks saying, boy, this is a great place and I am going to make it better.... Certainly some have, and we have the stickies to prove it. Yes, you have to scroll through them to get to the new stuff. Yes, it can be annoying. I bet if you went through many of those stickies, took the 'wheat' and discarded the 'chaff' you would be applauded, the current sticky quagmire would reduced appreciably. Believe me, saying you would be willing to contribute (if you don't like donate) a couple of bucks would be A LOT easier.

For those of you that have put together any sort of tutorial, I say Thank You (sincerely). For those of you that wanted to go on a ride, but went back in the house to get your camera so you could (end up) stopping (frequently) to take pictures to share with the rest of us. Then likely spend more time on putting together a ride report than you did on the ride, once again, Thank You. This is the stuff that makes this, or any forum great.

You are having an ongoing problem with your bike and you are beginning to pull your hair out. What is better than having a Friend stop by (you didn't ask him) and the first thing he says is 'what can I do to help'.

I know I have become a real 'dic head' about this stuff. If you are not willing to stand-up and say you can count on me, who should care what you think. I believe it was President Kennedy that said 'ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country'.

Palm State Crawler, great how-to on modifying those pegs. As long as those Suzuki units are on sale, you have offered folks a great option. Likely the job would have went even faster if you didn't pick-up the camera and share the process with us, Thank You. Gerry

·
Registered
566 Posts
...A couple of people said they are willing to "then" donate a modest amount of money to off-set the time and expense 'someone' has to expend to get the job done. In my opinion, it's unlikely that the amount of money raised would be significant.
I'm afraid this is true.

For those of you that have put together any sort of tutorial, I say Thank You (sincerely). For those of you that wanted to go on a ride, but went back in the house to get your camera so you could (end up) stopping (frequently) to take pictures to share with the rest of us. Then likely spend more time on putting together a ride report than you did on the ride, once again, Thank You. This is the stuff that makes this, or any forum great.
Perfectly said.

I know I have become a real 'dic head' about this stuff. If you are not willing to stand-up and say you can count on me, who should care what you think...
Agreed and I believe more aptly and succinctly stated than the JFK quote. If some organization is needed, I'm a fairly competent organizer and I have moderator experience on vBulletin. I volunteer.

If there are other needs, we should define them. The first step of wrenching on something that needs work is a proper diagnosis, right?

Also, I'm not sure most of the guys who frequent this forum read this sub-forum. That may be why there's a certain lack of response and interest in this thread.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Thanks Retmotor. Should there be some agreement and 'the project' moves forward PM me as to how I can help. Should Charles need some $$ to move the ideas from 'maybe' to 'I can do that' my Pay Pal pledge stands. Gerry

PS guess since I am talking about "pledges", I should send PBS a couple of bucks as I enjoy watching MI-5 and Austin City Limits and always tell Saskia I should send these folks some money.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Howdy Folks.

Thought I would chime in so you have some background. ChopperCharles owns and administers this site. He rarely visits anymore as he does not have a TW anymore and his interests lie elsewhere. Tracy and I (Wes) are moderators. We clean up the spam, seal up the stickies and keep the peace. That's all we can do and that's how Charles likes it - he's the boss - he owns the forum. Over the last few years, I have asked Charles for modifications to the forums, like a sticky library, but he doesn't find the time and us moderators don't have those powers. Sooooo, like it or not, it is what it is. And it is pretty good. Nice people, good advice, cool place. Enjoy it as is.

One the money front, Charles took donations when he moved the old forum here, to offset personal costs. I don't know where he sits today on the money scene, but he has never asked. Tracy and I are not involved in that. If you feel inclined to contribute, email Charles directly. Email works better that PMs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts