TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Getting ready to buy a tire to replace the front and am looking at the Pirelli MT43 in 4.00x18. RMATV-MC has the best price. I have tons of loose gravel up here, wet grass in the meadows, and mud like tar or Georgia clay when it rains. Is this a good choice? Not really interested in the Chinese tires, haven't had good luck with their quality, but never had a Pirelli. Thanks for the thoughts.

Richard

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Did you know that Pirelli, even though based in Milan, is owned by the Chinese company ChemChina?
That their tires sold here typically are manufactured in either Mexico or Russia?
Globalization tends to negate historical biases.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Did you know that Pirelli, even though based in Milan, is owned by the Chinese company ChemChina?
That their tires sold here typically are manufactured in either Mexico or Russia?
my pirelli has "made in Brazil" stamped on the side wall. it also developes a small amount of wobble. balancing stopped most of it. i have never had trouble with the shinko, which has the same tread pattern. my pirelli is far superior to the stock tire and would recomment that tread for most conditions, except mud. plus it is rated as a rear tire, not a front tire

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, an orange is not an orange, figures. So quality-wise (roundness, balancing, dry rot), how do the Pirellis compare? On my Spyder everyone ditched the Kendas because of quality, balancing issues and short tread life. How is it with these or the Shinkos? I have Shinkos on my DT175 and they've been okay.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
There are Pirellis and then there are Pirellis, different grades for different markets. The Pirelli automotive tires I bought in Brazil for a Fiat wore out in less than 20,000 Kilometers and only a bit longer on a RWD Brazillian manufactured Chevy. Terrible quality even though they were priced comparable to high mileage tires vended in the USA.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have Pirellis on my Street bike - like them a lot and getting good wear on them.
The 241 Shinko I installed on the front has been a huge improvement over stock - I had it balanced by a local shop and it only took one small weight to get it balanced - the shop owner said the quality seems to be getting better with Shinko - he said years ago he would have to add a few weights to balance them - so there's that.
Any tire you get will make a solid improvement - why Yami continues to put that tire on is beyond me. There's no way they have not heard the negative feedback on them...

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I think I push the MT43 the hardest out this group and will say it is a great tire. I have had them on the back of my play trials bike (Beta TR32), on the back of the WR250r, and currently on the back of my DT200 and front of the TW. The tire works ok in mud on the front if you have the pressure low enough. It needs to be run around 8 psi off road. On pavement you may want a bit more pressure for cornering.
The MT43 sticks where you point it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I push the MT43 the hardest out this group and will say it is a great tire. I have had them on the back of my play trials bike (Beta TR32), on the back of the WR250r, and currently on the back of my DT200 and front of the TW. The tire works ok in mud on the front if you have the pressure low enough. It needs to be run around 8 psi off road. On pavement you may want a bit more pressure for cornering.
The MT43 sticks where you point it.
Good info, basically what I was looking for. I'll decide here shortly on the Shinko or the Pirelli and get one ordered before I do any serious thrashing out there.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
A 10+ for the new Shinko 241. I can say without a doubt it is a pleasure to ride again. I did not know just how bad my maxxis 6006 was. I can say this tire sticks like glue on the tar and on the gravel/dirt. Just finished my yearly birthday weekend ride(200+ miles) with my son and new too riding offroad BIL.( that's a story by itself) soon to come.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went with the Pirelli and I can say I'm happy with the purchase. Lots more bite, much less skittishness. Now I'm working on a mud flap cos the Big P shoots up gravel like a 12-gauge. Nice tire.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts