TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to go with an ATV tire for a while. Concerned with the larger size of a 14" ATV tire and not too keen on the add'l weight and expense of the trailer wheel mod. Saw the Pit Bull Rocker 25.5 x 8 x 14 on a post here and thought hopefully it would fit in my stock swingarm. My 05 still had the original tires and even though they were still holding air, I figured it was time for new shoes. Saw the Shinko 525 Cheater on another thread here so went with one on the front. Note that my TW is a farm bike and is never on pavement, legally anyway. If it is, it's only for a short distance.
Got the old rear tire off and the Rocker on w/o any difficulty. I do have a homemade tire stand, good tire spoons, lots of tire lube, and a fair amount of experience. Been changing the tires on all my bikes for the last 50 years. Max pressure on sidewall is 25 psi, but I figured that wasn't gonna get it. Inflate over 25 psi at your own risk! Not telling you to do it, just telling you what I did. Started out at 25 and increased it slowly to 35. No luck so I put it in a truck with the windows up for a day. We had temps in the 90's. No luck, up to 45 and back in the truck for a day. No luck, up to 55 and back in the truck for a day. Third time was the charm. I did break the bead everyday and add more tire lube. Front install was a piece of
cake.
I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of clearance between the new tire and swingarm and chainguard. I've got 1/2" side clearance and 3/4" between the tire and front of swingarm. I did have to add an extra link, so am now running 2 masterlinks. A no-no in my book but this bike never sees high speed so feel I'll be OK. Even the chainguard fits with no mods.
While the bike was on stands, I also replaced the steering head bearings with Moose roller bearings, new polisport fork boots, serviced the forks, and added front fender spacers.
My 3+ yr old battery had been wimpering for a while and finally
died, so I replaced it with a Shorai.
Sorry for being long-winded. So far I really like it. Probably the best improvement was the new steering head bearings. Old ones were trashed. Will add pics later.

Mods, if this is in the wrong section please move.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
Been wanting to go with an ATV tire for a while. Concerned with the larger size of a 14" ATV tire and not too keen on the add'l weight and expense of the trailer wheel mod. Saw the Pit Bull Rocker 25.5 x 8 x 14 on a post here and thought hopefully it would fit in my stock swingarm. My 05 still had the original tires and even though they were still holding air, I figured it was time for new shoes. Saw the Shinko 525 Cheater on another thread here so went with one on the front. Note that my TW is a farm bike and is never on pavement, legally anyway. If it is, it's only for a short distance.
Got the old rear tire off and the Rocker on w/o any difficulty. I do have a homemade tire stand, good tire spoons, lots of tire lube, and a fair amount of experience. Been changing the tires on all my bikes for the last 50 years. Max pressure on sidewall is 25 psi, but I figured that wasn't gonna get it. Inflate over 25 psi at your own risk! Not telling you to do it, just telling you what I did. Started out at 25 and increased it slowly to 35. No luck so I put it in a truck with the windows up for a day. We had temps in the 90's. No luck, up to 45 and back in the truck for a day. No luck, up to 55 and back in the truck for a day. Third time was the charm. I did break the bead everyday and add more tire lube. Front install was a piece of
cake.
I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of clearance between the new tire and swingarm and chainguard. I've got 1/2" side clearance and 3/4" between the tire and front of swingarm. I did have to add an extra link, so am now running 2 masterlinks. A no-no in my book but this bike never sees high speed so feel I'll be OK. Even the chainguard fits with no mods.
While the bike was on stands, I also replaced the steering head bearings with Moose roller bearings, new polisport fork boots, serviced the forks, and added front fender spacers.
My 3+ yr old battery had been wimpering for a while and finally
died, so I replaced it with a Shorai.
Sorry for being long-winded. So far I really like it. Probably the best improvement was the new steering head bearings. Old ones were trashed. Will add pics later.

Mods, if this is in the wrong section please move.

Mike
Once you get a bunch of miles on the new tires you'll have to let us know how they feel. I'm sure the ATV tire will get good traction (they all do). Just have to let us know how the tread wears over time. The problem at the time with my Cerros 26x9x14 was the only tire size available that would fit the 14" TW rim was the side edges of the tire rubbing on the side of the swingarm. As with you, extra links and the tire set back in the swingarm solved any issue at the front of the swingarm. Chain adjustment was limited as well but also solved with an x-ring chain which doesn't stretch much over time. Ultimately, I went with the trailer mode which gives me a wider range of tire options. Of course, I say that and still went with the Cerros as I like it. I also have a SunF ATV tire on another trailer mod rim so I get two to choose from.
I'd like to know how good the Cheater 525 is in different soil conditions. Steering head roller bearings are a good addition. I've done it on 2 of my TW's and have two more bikes I want to change. Makes turning so much better.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Steering head roller bearings are a good addition. I've done it on 2 of my TW's and have two more bikes I want to change. Makes turning so much better.
Is there a write-up on this mod?

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
Is there a write-up on this mod?
Yes, it's an old post but good enough to figure it out. I think RockyMtnATV/MC and maybe Procycle now sell these as kits. I purchased the parts separately before knowing kits might be available. Worth researching to see if the kits are in fact available.

Edit: I found 2 of the steering kits. Below is the picture of the package and contents. The bearings, races, and oil/grease seals are all included. The kit is listed as an alternate to the rear wheel bearings on RockyMtnATV/MC website for $36.00 per kit.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Thanks. I did a search on the part number shown in the photo and found this;
Part# 1912910006 | Mfg Part# TK-22-1008

I then did a search on the Mfg Part# and found them on eBay for $32.05 shipped.
Tusk Steering Stem Bearing Kit Bearings YAMAHA YZ125 YZ250 YZ80 Big Wheel DT MX | eBay

Procycle has them for over $48 including shipping.

After reading the link, and seeing the photos, I ordered the Tusk kit from eBay and will not be installing until I actually need them. For now I do not feel any indexing on my steering bearings and that looks like way too much drama for an upgrade that won't provide an effect.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Admiral,
Not sure if I'll be of much help as far as the longevity. While I ride almost every day I don't rack up a lot of miles. I'm sure they'll dry rot before I wear them out. So far the front tire is good, but hasn't been real wet here lately. And if I can go around a mud hole I do. Outgrew break neck speeds and playing in the mud a long time ago. I'm like electricity, I take the path of least resistance. ;) Really like the new steering head bearings. Old ones were shot, probably worst ones I've ever changed out. When I'd turn, the wheel would fall in and resist coming back to neutral. That's the best way I can describe it. Most of my time is spent in the lower 3 gears so speed isn't there to help it come back. A lot more noticeable at low speeds.
Steering bearing kit install is not bad. Knock out the old cups, install the new. The hardest part for me in the past was removing the bottom race from steering stems. This is my first TW, but it wasn't bad. I was actually able to save the lower seal and re-use it as it seemed a little better built than the included replacement seal.

Hope I did the picture insert thing correctly.

Mike

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have all the stuff to do the 225, 6 speed mod, and I have all the stuff for the trailer wheel/ATV tire mod.

Problem is that I suspect it won't be enough to turn me into a desert racer. Maybe I should stick to my scooters.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Admiral,
Not sure if I'll be of much help as far as the longevity. While I ride almost every day I don't rack up a lot of miles. I'm sure they'll dry rot before I wear them out. So far the front tire is good, but hasn't been real wet here lately. And if I can go around a mud hole I do. Outgrew break neck speeds and playing in the mud a long time ago. I'm like electricity, I take the path of least resistance. ;) Really like the new steering head bearings. Old ones were shot, probably worst ones I've ever changed out. When I'd turn, the wheel would fall in and resist coming back to neutral. That's the best way I can describe it. Most of my time is spent in the lower 3 gears so speed isn't there to help it come back. A lot more noticeable at low speeds.
Steering bearing kit install is not bad. Knock out the old cups, install the new. The hardest part for me in the past was removing the bottom race from steering stems. This is my first TW, but it wasn't bad. I was actually able to save the lower seal and re-use it as it seemed a little better built than the included replacement seal.

Hope I did the picture insert thing correctly.

Mike
Gruff....this explains my riding on the TW to a tee.

While I do still love high speeds, I have a 600RR I can put on the track for that, and mud.....I'd save that for an ATV.

Nice looking ride BTW..... (y)

Reactions: Gullyjumper

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gruff....this explains my riding on the TW to a tee.

You mean to a tee W? Sorry, couldn't resist.

While I do still love high speeds, I have a 600RR I can put on the track for that, and mud.....I'd save that for an ATV.

Over the speed thing, I'll get my adrenaline rush some other way that won't hurt as much when I screw up. :oops: Fastest things I've got now are a 2005 KLR 650 and my old '75 XS 650, but they haven't been plated in a couple of years. Not much desire to ride on the street these days.

Nice looking ride BTW..... (y)

You being sarcastic? I can't tell. ;) Thanks. She's like an old work truck, used and abused and never washed.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts