TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I damaged by coccyx (tailbone) almost two years back; dirtbiking throttle-stick wreck..not on the TW. The OE seat on the TW didn't work at all, so I opted for a Seat Concepts foam/cover hoping that would be an improvement.

Nope.

It took awhile to get a 'round tuit, but today was the day...and my first ride with a fanny-groove cut into the foam (only 30 miles) worked very well.

I thought an oscillating tool would work on the foam. It doesn't. I tried my 1/4" air cut-off tool with a resin disk...that worked very well. I ran the tool at moderate pressure/speed and could shape the notch any way I wanted to. A couple of end result shots:

Now you don't see it (channel has been cut):

IMG_1479 TW seat cutout (Small).jpg

Now you do!

IMG_1480 TW seat cutout (Small).jpg

Well worth it!

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I damaged my tail bone as a kid and I do remember it hurt real bad and for a very long time. I bought a special donut pillow at a medical supply store and dragged it around with me for a solid year. With this sort of injury one must do what ever it takes to be comfortable.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery but PITA is the perfect description.

GaryL

·
Registered
262 Posts
I broke mine back in 1990, looks like an "L" on X-rays to this day, Really not much more than breaking a toe or finger, just nothing around to tape it too. I'll take a broke rib any day!

I ment to post this a year or 2 ago.

I also bought the Seat Concepts and found no relief.

I put my factory seat foam between 2 2X4's ofr a guide and used a electric knife to shave off the bottom 1-1/2'', and then cut out the middle, making a "horse shoe". I then put it on top of the SC (wide side down) and pulled the cover tight and re stapled it.

Most comfortable seat I have had in a long time.

I wish I had done a tutorial on it , but it was a BEER induced event and I didn't know how it would turn out.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Different problem with a similar (temporary) solution...

I was planning to ride a relatively new KTM 950 Adventure on a 3-week trip from N GA to Newfoundland and back in 2005.

I had heard great things about Mike Renazco saddles, and had just had one delivered and installed for the trip.

The first day's ride was from N GA to Rockville, MD. I used the beaded seat cover I modified and used with good results on both Corbin and Sargent saddles in the past. But when I got to Rockville, I had to pee and found I had zero feeling in my nether regions - not good! It took the better part of a half hour for feeling to even start coming back.

Apparently, a rounded saddle can put excessive pressure on the perineum, and cause all sorts of problems over time, including erectile dysfunction. Don't need that!

Necessity being the mother of invention, I came up with this:

It worked well enough to get me through the trip. When I got home I sold the Renazco saddle and bought a used Corbin, which worked well for me for over 10 years.

As an aside, the flat, firm saddle on the TDub is actually not too bad for me.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wrote about this a while back but I'll do it again here. The stock seat was terrible so I bought a seat concepts seat. It was no improvement. I took my seat back to them and had them go one setting softer on the density. Now it's worlds better. I'm 225lbs and it's still definitely not to soft though. If I weighed 150 lb range I'd definitely go 2 steps down on density.

I've come to the conclusion though that the tw seat is to big. My skinny little ktm seat is actually more comfortable on long rides. Even though my ktm seat is way skinnier, it supports your rear on the butt bones and my tailbone never touches the seat. Kind like a good mountain bike seat. On my tw the seat is so wide my tailbone does touch. Also on the tw I tend to sit straight up and on my ktm I tend to lean forward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts