TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Moab 2022 March or October?

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between the COVID Lockdowns and Fear, and losing some of the guys/main players, who began the Moab 2015 Adventure, I know it will be hard to recreate the friendships, weather, fun, and ride camaraderie, we had back in 2015 and then others continued for a couple of seasons...but Hoot is willing to start this thread and see where it leads...I'm no Ron from Boise or Mel to say the least...but I am willing to start this thread and see where it leads.

Hell, I'm 72 and still getting around well, and will be 73 early next year. I hope however that we can get some of the other guys who no longer frequent the site, ZDiver, Borneo, Weasel, Effenflood Jim, and others, to join in the conversation, and in addition to guys and wives {Mrs Admiral} that have shown an interest in a ReDo, along with some new faces...I think we can get this done next year with some planning and enough time.

So here we go...First Off...what suits you best?

March 2022 or October 2022?...I know the second date is a long way off, but there is something to be said for October weather and less crowds...

Mountain Slope Travel Geological phenomenon Landscape

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are there any easy trails in Moab?
Yes, it has plenty for all skills...Hoot was led astray by Fred and Borneo, but survived the 2 Intermediate Rides, and took perhaps 4 easy rides, with 2 days of those being all by myself...

So don't let the Expert Rides keep you from joining us...plenty for everybody, and I'll be 73, about the same age as Mel was in 2015...so I'd be happy to do some of those easy rides with you and others.:D

Here is a quick photo along Kane Creek, anybody can handle this one...I took the easy route, and also with Fred and Borneo, the end of this route, which was a bit more of a challenge...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Plant community

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Funny you post this today just last night I was forlorn about not getting to Moab lately maybe because I have the Moab - TW Invasion decals on my canopy so it reminds me

I'd like to do March and October 2022 life is short and Moab is FUNN

PS I still have some MOAB TW200 decals from various years still 100% free just send SASE and I'll send you whatever you want

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Funny you post this today just last night I was forlorn about not getting to Moab lately maybe because I have the Moab - TW Invasion decals on my canopy so it reminds me

I'd like to do March and October 2022 life is short and Moab is FUNN

PS I still have some MOAB TW200 decals from various years still 100% free just send SASE and I'll send you whatever you want View attachment 216968 View attachment 216969 View attachment 216970
Placer...been in contact with several 2015 guys today, trying to push this forward...and frankly, it is going well. ZDiver is good for both months, as am I, Mississippi Larry is a go...and Effenflood can make March. "Judge" Borneo is up for Re~Electon in 2022 but I plan on making a visit to his Ranch and see if he can make either the March or October event...not a chance in Hell that the Democrats can beat him...so we will see...but this is really moving well early. Things will slow down and the event will have it's ups and downs, but I really think we can make this happen in 2022 and maybe Both Months...

Borneo for President 2024...

Placer, bring some of those generic Moab Decals along and some new "Moab 2022" with you... 👀 😎

I'm Stoked! 🔥

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
yup I agree I had a blast in 2017 the only year I actually made it and even that year I blew a tranny half way from Socal and had to get towed home 300 miles and hastily switch rigs at 4am but still made it and had a blast

I now have learned to expect anything that can go wrong will re getting to MOAB once there it's all good

I love the area on March not to hot for riding gear and would love to see it on October

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd do March if you'll let me. I might be the only one who rides all the way there... on a scooter.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
No "WE" will let you do it...this, like 2015, if for all of us...some stay at the North Camp, some stay in town, and some of us stay at KOA or others...thing is, we agree to meet in town or at a camp in the morning, and ride...eat in the evening...and enjoy the heck out of that great venue, and each other...and sometimes we ride or dine on our own or in town...

If we can have 2 get togethers, March and October, I am all for it...some can make March, some October, and a few of us, both times....

I'M READY! 🙀 😎

·
Super Moderator
19,922 Posts
Is there AC?

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If Hoot is irritating that is something I cannot help...but these plans slowly, usually, work themselves out...I recall that when Ron for Boise started the 2015 Moab Ride it was in October 2014...and around Thanksgiving we still were only looking at maybe 10 to 15 riders/attendees, by Christmas it was somewhere between 18 to 25...by the time I arrived with Montezuma, Borneo, and Weasel, at the KOA, we ended up with over 30 folks...

I gotta believe we can beat that number, even with our departed friends and others, who cannot make it...we will do this and more...

I'm thinking we can dub this the "Mel, Ron from Boise, and Idaho Larry, Memorial Ride" what say you?

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As we look at dates in both March and October 2022...I pulled up "Jeep Safari Week"...and it's a bit late this next year...April 9th-17th{Easter}...which gives us the whole month of March plus for that possible date[s} ...October on the other hand is wide open...

So, how about the March dates being March 25th thru April 1st...give a day or two each way, and avoiding the Jeep Week Crowd...???

Then the October dates are wide open...maybe the middle of the month{unless somebody has an alternate opinion} ...say 14th through 21st/22nd...both starting dates are on a Friday but really are not set in stone at all...just tossing them out to see if they stick...and when you might choose to arrive and then depart.

Long way to go before we have anything set in stone...

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's not an option in the poll, but my votes for Spring 2020 are either of:
April 15-24 (Week after jeep week, beginning with Easter weekend)
April 1-10 (Week before jeep week)

• Some people like to abut Jeep Safari Week and go look at all the stuff.
  • We've had issues with the cold in the past when doing it in March. Several commented that they'd had enough of freezing mornings and if in early to mid-March, they'd likely not attend.
  • March dates can line up with Spring Break and crowds. Last year, we moved it to April 9-16 and it worked well.

With Jeep Week April 9-17, 2022, it seems some options are:

1. March 26 - April 4 (as proposed above):
Pros - Avoids Jeep Safari Week by a whole week if you plan to stay the second weekend and not overlapping matters to you.
Cons - Avoids Jeep Safari Week by a whole week for those that like to overlap and see the show for a couple of days. Doesn't include Easter weekend for those still working that like to use Good Friday and Monday as part of their vacation. Cold?? Who knows, but statistically "colder" when considering the three options.

2. April 2-10:
Pros - Avoids Jeep Safari Week, if you leave by Friday the 8th. Allows those that like to see a few days of Jeep Safari Week to do so. Easier to get group campsite since we'd arrive a week before jeep people arrive and possibly after spring breakers leave (but I don't know spring break schedules in the West).
Cons - Abuts Jeep Safari Week if you don't like that fact. Isn't tied to Easter weekend for those still working that use Good Friday and Monday as part of their vacation. Cold?? Who knows, but statistically the middle of the three options.

3. April 16-24:
Pros - Usual tie in to Easter holidays on first weekend for those that use the vacation time. Overlaps our first weekend with the last weekend of Jeep Safari Week for those that like that. Those that don't, can arrive Monday to avoid the crowds and use the ending weekend instead of the beginning weekend to ride. Cold?? - Likely not.
Cons - Getting a campsite on Willow Springs Road (if we stay there) for the group will be harder, since the jeep group will still be around our first weekend. Those that stay in a hotel, cabin or RV park will conflict with the jeep people over the Easter weekend.

In the past, I haven't found abutting or even overlapping jeep week to be a problem if camping and eating at the campsite. When they are having group rides, they are all in those few specific locations and it's on the schedule. All we have to do is avoid those trails, those days. It actually causes everywhere else to have less traffic. The only downside is that if you like to eat in town, it's crowded. The real issue I've seen is that those that stay in hotels or rv parks need to make their reservations sooner rather than later.

Again, my votes for Spring 2020 in order are:
April 15-24 (Week after jeep week)

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's not an option in the poll, but my votes for Spring 2020 are either of:
April 15-24 (Week after jeep week, beginning with Easter weekend)

• Some people like to abut Jeep Safari Week and go look at all the stuff.
  • We've had issues with the cold in the past when doing it in March. Several commented that they'd had enough of freezing mornings and if in early to mid-March, they'd likely not attend.
  • March dates can line up with Spring Break and crowds. Last year, we moved it to April 9-16 and it worked well.

With Jeep Week April 9-17, 2022, it seems some options are:

1. March 26 - April 4 (as proposed above):
Pros - Avoids Jeep Safari Week by a whole week if you plan to stay the second weekend and not overlapping matters to you.
Cons - Avoids Jeep Safari Week by a whole week for those that like to overlap and see the show for a couple of days. Doesn't include Easter weekend for those still working that like to use Good Friday and Monday as part of their vacation. Cold?? Who knows, but statistically "colder" when considering the three options.

2. April 2-10:
Pros - Avoids Jeep Safari Week, if you leave by Friday the 8th. Allows those that like to see a few days of Jeep Safari Week to do so. Easier to get group campsite since we'd arrive a week before jeep people arrive and possibly after spring breakers leave (but I don't know spring break schedules in the West).
Cons - Abuts Jeep Safari Week if you don't like that fact. Isn't tied to Easter weekend for those still working that use Good Friday and Monday as part of their vacation. Cold?? Who knows, but statistically the middle of the three options.

3. April 16-24:
Pros - Usual tie in to Easter holidays on first weekend for those that use the vacation time. Overlaps our first weekend with the last weekend of Jeep Safari Week for those that like that. Those that don't, can arrive Monday to avoid the crowds and use the ending weekend instead of the beginning weekend to ride. Cold?? - Likely not.
Cons - Getting a campsite on Willow Springs Road (if we stay there) for the group will be harder, since the jeep group will still be around our first weekend. Those that stay in a hotel, cabin or RV park will conflict with the jeep people over the Easter weekend.

In the past, I haven't found abutting or even overlapping jeep week to be a problem if camping and eating at the campsite. When they are having group rides, they are all in those few specific locations and it's on the schedule. All we have to do is avoid those trails, those days. It actually causes everywhere else to have less traffic. The only downside is that if you like to eat in town, it's crowded. The real issue I've seen is that those that stay in hotels or rv parks need to make their reservations sooner rather than later.

Again, my votes for Spring 2020 in order are:
April 15-24 (Week after jeep week)
Not my decision to say the least...the post Easter is a non starter for Hoot, since I organize and host our Vietnam Air Force Security Police Reunion that week in Dayton and the AF Museum...the week before Jeep Week? The crowds start moving in, but that is up to the majority...

In 2015 we ran it from March 21st-28th and the weather was near perfect, no rain, sunny, and highs in the mid 60s thru the mid 70s...cool nights.

But we have time...and that is why I started this thread, heck, look already at the poll votes, pretty even between March, October, or either {Both}...Hoot is leaning towards both, I love October in America, just about perfect weather, except in the High Mountains... 😎

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't have much to say here. COUNT ME IN!!!

1 - 20 of 154 Posts