TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Moab 2022 March or October?

181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Thanks for the advice.
Will we need to carry extra gas?
Depending on where you ride...I had a Rotopack strapped to the rear bracket, but never used it...Admiral and Fred, and other long distance in one day riders usually bring along extra as well...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Thanks for the advice.
Will we need to carry extra gas?
If you do the White Rim trail (pass needed) a stock tw tank will not be enough.
If you do Dome plateau without trailering to the trail head you might need extra fuel.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
2020 TW
26 Posts
Depending on where you ride...I had a Rotopack strapped to the rear bracket, but never used it...Admiral and Fred, and other long distance in one day riders usually bring along extra as well...
If you do the White Rim trail (pass needed) a stock tw tank will not be enough.
If you do Dome plateau without trailering to the trail head you might need extra fuel.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I plan to have an aftermarket tank on Mo's TW before the Moab trip. Would this cover the White Rim trail or should I bring additional fuel as well. WR is about 100 miles (longer if you leave from town) and I don't want any worries. My KLX 400 has a four gallon tank and has always done fine. I do have a one gallon bladder that I usually bring and never fill.
Mikey

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I plan to have an aftermarket tank on Mo's TW before the Moab trip. Would this cover the White Rim trail or should I bring additional fuel as well. WR is about 100 miles (longer if you leave from town) and I don't want any worries. My KLX 400 has a four gallon tank and has always done fine. I do have a one gallon bladder that I usually bring and never fill.
Mikey
A group did the white rim trail and at the finish we stopped at the first gas station before going to Dennys for dinner. Washington Larry did the trip on one tank but he was on fumes when he filled.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
A group did the white rim trail and at the finish we stopped at the first gas station before going to Dennys for dinner. Washington Larry did the trip on one tank but he was on fumes when he filled.
Washington Larry has a larger tank on his TW. He lent me his rotopax which I had to use coming up the Schaffer switchbacks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Washington Larry has a larger tank on his TW. He lent me his rotopax which I had to use coming up the Schaffer switchbacks.
Well heck, I guess that I will bring the bladder and even fill it for a WRT ride. There is a nice BLM campground just outside of the entrance to Canyonlands NP but it is not very big and I have my doubts about getting enough spots for everyone. I was lucky enough to get a spot there and it was the last one.
Mikey

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Well here we are in Mid November...March isn't that far off, for those planning on Moab during the Late March session...Hoot still not sure of his overall plans, but at this point, I am leaning towards mid October of Next Year...since I've taken one 2 week vacation, this year {just got back from Florida} without wife, we need to take at least one with each other before I go to Moab {we usually take one each on our own every year, and a couple together}...

Anyway I know the majority so far are looking at March or early April, so for those so inclined, it is probably time to start thinking where you are going to stay/camp/etc, what you are bringing...and what group rides and locations you may want to take...different skills sets will go different places, but remember, there is much to discover regardless of your skill level.

Nobody is in charge, however, that time is near, closer than you might think, to solidify your March plans...Ideas and Leadership Hands Up are most Welcome....

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
My plan is to just show up with my camper, my bike and some food. Mostly all I want to do is hang out with some guys. I literally have not talked with another person other than my wife and sons families in months. Probably not since a few TW guys stopped by the house to wench (sic) on some bikes.
Anything beyond that is gravy in my opinion. What ever anyone wants to plan, where to stay, what to do is fine by me.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I like Ski's plan.
Last time I went to Moab with the group I was too worried about certain rides, on which days, and with which forum members. In the end, it all worked out and most ride planning took place the night before.
Once I get my vacation days approved I will post a more definitive timeline for myself.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
We would like to join! Two new TW200 riders here and available to join your group in either spring or fall (though we prefer fall, as it is much nicer and less crowded in Moab). I'll be standing by to see what dates you all lock down. In the meantime, we'll be busy getting to know these bikes! View attachment 220086

View attachment 220087
Welcome to the forum!!

Reactions: dori123

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
We would like to join! Two new TW200 riders here and available to join your group in either spring or fall (though we prefer fall, as it is much nicer and less crowded in Moab). I'll be standing by to see what dates you all lock down. In the meantime, we'll be busy getting to know these bikes!
In the past, I was going in the spring and fall and then Covid hit and … I digress
I found that the Spring was drier, but more busy. In the fall I always had at least one day of rain and the mud in Moab is slick and hardens like concrete.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts