TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Moab 2022 March or October?

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
You guys coming down from the North should stop for a night or two around Woodside on Hwy 6 South of Price. There is a lot of riding West of Hwy 6 from Woodside to the Junction of I70. Everything from Jeep to Single-track. We ride it when the mountains are snowed in and rarely run into anyone
Looks interesting on Google Satellite view. Is it all open to dispersed camping and motorcycle traffic?

·
Registered
22,171 Posts
Does look like it could be very nice out there Bodi.
Cloud Sky Water Water resources Atmosphere

Sleepy Woodside might be somewhat of a contrast to the crowds of Moab,
Sky Plant Asphalt Road surface Land lot

One can always re-provision in Price or Green River.
When a member flew out from the east coast for our San Rafael Swale Group Ride her Salt Lake City's rent-a-car's navigation directions sent her out that way somewhere connecting to Buckhorn Wash and then down to I 70. She eventually showed up a little dusty and then rode with us a week on Plumbstraight's Loaner Buddy Bike. Guess you could say she scouted the way since we a took a ride a few days later up to view pictographs.
Brown Wood Bedrock Beige Terrain

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
A group did the white rim trail and at the finish we stopped at the first gas station before going to Dennys for dinner. Washington Larry did the trip on one tank but he was on fumes when he filled.
Washington Larry has a larger tank on his TW. He lent me his rotopax which I had to use coming up the Schaffer switchbacks.
You are both right. In 2015 we did the WRT counter-clockwise, exiting the trail and went to Moab via Potash Rd. I did complete that on my stock TW tank, and yes I was probably on fumes as we made the first fuel station coming into town. In 2017 (I think), we did it again counter-clockwise but continuing up the Shafer Switchbacks and back out Hwy 313 to Archview. I had switched to a XT 225 steel tank by that time, which holds 1/2 gallon more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You guys coming down from the North should stop for a night or two around Woodside on Hwy 6 South of Price. There is a lot of riding West of Hwy 6 from Woodside to the Junction of I70. Everything from Jeep to Single-track. We ride it when the mountains are snowed in and rarely run into anyone
This sounds fun. My husband tried Little Sahara yesterday and loved it. We've got this area on our radar too.

·
Registered
2020 TW
26 Posts
My wife and my son's girlfriend want to come with us (they will not be riding). My camper is not big enough for all of us and I cant haul the bikes and the camper so I am looking for someplace to stay. We would like to rent a cabin. I have never been to Moab. Any thoughts on a good place to stay?

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am in a similar situation. There a places on VRBO, that look nice but kind of pricey. I checked flights for the family members and they are over $500 per person. Looks like we will all be in the truck for 2 days there and back. I may have to rent a uhaul and drive the van instead. Who has done this from Ohio?

Hoot, any advice? Can the minivan do it?
—matt

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
My wife and my son's girlfriend want to come with us (they will not be riding). My camper is not big enough for all of us and I cant haul the bikes and the camper so I am looking for someplace to stay. We would like to rent a cabin. I have never been to Moab. Any thoughts on a good place to stay?

Thanks
Archview has been used in the past by many TW riders on our Moab get togethers. I have not stayed there.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·

Thanks
KOA Cabins are where about 13 of us stayed in 2015 less than $100 per night for the basic cabins...

Best Camping in Moab, UT | Moab KOA Holiday Campground

Sleeve Standing Denim Art Pattern
Sky Window Wood Shade Cottage

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I am in a similar situation. There a places on VRBO, that look nice but kind of pricey. I checked flights for the family members and they are over $500 per person. Looks like we will all be in the truck for 2 days there and back. I may have to rent a uhaul and drive the van instead. Who has done this from Ohio?

Hoot, any advice? Can the minivan do it?
—matt
Here is how the four of us hauled out...then stayed at KOA Cabin in 2015...I'm a cheap ass when it comes to travel...gas is expensive but still better than flying at today's COVID restrictions and prices...we hauled the 4 bikes out trailed on Kurt's Pick Up...Took us about 30 hours from Auburn, Indiana, with a overnight in Western Kansas on I-70

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
One Again here is the link to the KOA...it's about 1 mile south of town...tent camping, simple cabins, and luxury cabins....the Simple Cabins have room for 4 or 5 heat, air, and close by shower and bath house...last I checked they were still in the $75 to $90 rates depend in time of season...

Best Camping in Moab, UT | Moab KOA Holiday Campground

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
6 Posts
My target dates for Moab are always in Sept. It started out that way since that is when the Giant Ragweed blooms in TN, so I am always riding west to avoid the guaranteed allergic misery.
Anyway, my Sept trips have so far have had flawless weather.
Have only ridden the Moab trails on my DL650xt, looking forward to it on the TDub.

·
Administrator
6,307 Posts
Archview has been used in the past

The Archview cabins come in two different forms – those with inside toilets/showers, and those without. My own observations of the “delux cabin with toilet and shower” is as follows

Not suitable for more than two people, and feels crowded at that level. I did get three in there at one point (the girls wanted to look around), but I had to stay outside while they were in there. You get a double bed (linen optional and extra), a shower/toilet area, a fridge, and a microwave. Apart from the table and a bench to sit on (you thought the TW seat was bad), that’s your lot. That’s all crammed into a small shed, and I emphasise “crammed”. Your suitcase either sits on the floor, or sits on the bed – if it ends up on the floor, you’ll end up stepping over it to get to the shower

On the bright side, the air-con unit works, so does the TV, both up on the wall out of the way. In the site shop where you come in, the coffee’s good, they also sell beer, the cold pre-packed food runs out by noon. On the down-side, no kettle, no cutlery, no sink. Each “de-lux cabin” has a veranda outside, where you can chill and watch the Skink lizards roaming around. Remember to shake your boots out before putting them on

From my point of view, first visit to Moab, on my own, not going to slag it off. It is what it is, and you have to make the best of it. Adapt and survive. I’m not fussy, and it does what it says on the tin, so no complaints. Compared to a tent on Willow Springs road, the height of luxury, albeit in a very condensed form

Price was a bit scary, check for details this (or next) year. Staff are friendly and approachable

“Self-catering” it ‘aint, and don’t expect to be able to swing a cat, but other than that – fair enough ….

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Archview cabins come in two different forms – those with inside toilets/showers, and those without. My own observations of the “delux cabin with toilet and shower” is as follows

Not suitable for more than two people, and feels crowded at that level. I did get three in there at one point (the girls wanted to look around), but I had to stay outside while they were in there. You get a double bed (linen optional and extra), a shower/toilet area, a fridge, and a microwave. Apart from the table and a bench to sit on (you thought the TW seat was bad), that’s your lot. That’s all crammed into a small shed, and I emphasise “crammed”. Your suitcase either sits on the floor, or sits on the bed – if it ends up on the floor, you’ll end up stepping over it to get to the shower

On the bright side, the air-con unit works, so does the TV, both up on the wall out of the way. In the site shop where you come in, the coffee’s good, they also sell beer, the cold pre-packed food runs out by noon. On the down-side, no kettle, no cutlery, no sink. Each “de-lux cabin” has a veranda outside, where you can chill and watch the Skink lizards roaming around. Remember to shake your boots out before putting them on

From my point of view, first visit to Moab, on my own, not going to slag it off. It is what it is, and you have to make the best of it. Adapt and survive. I’m not fussy, and it does what it says on the tin, so no complaints. Compared to a tent on Willow Springs road, the height of luxury, albeit in a very condensed form

Price was a bit scary, check for details this (or next) year. Staff are friendly and approachable

“Self-catering” it ‘aint, and don’t expect to be able to swing a cat, but other than that – fair enough ….

The floorplan makes it look roomy, but it does say "This drawing not to scale". Guess they took some "artistic liberty", huh? :ROFLMAO:

Mike

·
Registered
396 Posts
Green River is a lodging option. It's about 45 miles from Moab. It used to be much cheaper but with San Rafael Swell becoming more of a popular destination prices are going up also although not near as high as Moab.l I've stayed there a few trips when HI Moab wants to many of my motel points. The biggest downside other than 1.5 hours of driving everyday is missing out on the TW campfire evening group socials or having to drive back afterwards

201 - 220 of 225 Posts