TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Moab 2022 March or October?

1041 - 1060 of 1099 Posts

·
Registered
2009 TW200 with XT225 Six Speed, kickstart and more. 2013 TW200 stock. 2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
154 Posts
Moe, was it someone in your crew taking drone video? I have not seen that yet. If so, a link or name of the YouTube channel would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from the demons in my head
Yes he was but he is not finished with the editing. Will make sure a link posted when done.🤙

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
216 Posts
I completed the White Rim Trail in no small part due to the help of Thal and Fred. I'm still feeling this one, so I stayed in a hotel in Durango, giving me time to cut a video.

Usual caveats: climbs and descents are steeper than they appear, and thankfully the pain didn't show up until later.
Congrats on conquering the WRT!

I know it's hard to do when you think you are careening out of control, but momentum is your friend when both climbing and descending. Lack of it can be the rider, or the sprocket gearing, or both. Also, try practicing standing, you can gain better balance and use your legs as additional shock absorbers.

Murphy's Hogback got me too on the Vstrom. We went clockwise, and it was right after the campground at the top, descending that real steep initial part. I thought I could just drag the rear brake and do a controlled skid....bad idea as the rear end tried to pass me 3 times before I went down at .5mph. I just rolled off as it hit and no damage done, but from then on it was back to 80-90% front brake & 10-20% rear on steep descents.

I can't wait to go back and do the WRT again, and this time counterclockwise. Of all the trails I have done over the years, it is still my favorite.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Congrats on conquering the WRT!
Thanks! With a TW, I would have been at the edge of my abilities on the WRT. With the CBX, I was at a deficit, succeeding at the expense of my engine guard and the assistance of my companions. Experience plus higher suspension will be needed before running it again.

Having non-switchable ABS, based on reviews of its predictable, conservative performance I decided to run with it instead of pulling the fuse. The rear first kicked in on the Hardscrabble switchback descent. I first thought I had a rock caught in the driveline with the pulsing of the actuator, and it showed no tendency to either run away or lock up. The front briefly activated on level ground when I saw a bad ledge late and braked hard.

Sure would have been nice to be rolling nice soft TW tires at about 12 psi...

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
216 Posts
Thanks! With a TW, I would have been at the edge of my abilities on the WRT. With the CBX, I was at a deficit, succeeding at the expense of my engine guard and the assistance of my companions. Experience plus higher suspension will be needed before running it again.

Having non-switchable ABS, based on reviews of its predictable, conservative performance I decided to run with it instead of pulling the fuse. The rear first kicked in on the Hardscrabble switchback descent. I first thought I had a rock caught in the driveline with the pulsing of the actuator, and it showed no tendency to either run away or lock up. The front briefly activated on level ground when I saw a bad ledge late and braked hard.

Sure would have been nice to be rolling nice soft TW tires at about 12 psi...
I think the newer generation of abs is better on steep loose stuff(mine feels like a runaway train). I had mine turned completely off on the WRT, but always leave it on for non steep stuff. It has saved me from blowing an unexpected sharp turn on gravel a couple of times.

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
I got the impression that he CBX just didn't have enough ground clearance to gain & maintain enough gyroscopic stability to give Karl a relaxing ride for much of the WRT. Instead the skid plate occasionally was a rock scoop and shaved the top of a couple boulders that I saw. Poor bike took it on the chin a few times, enough to displace the oil filter guard and push it back onto the filter proper. Thal wired it back in place.
Reminder to self: Carry more gum, duct tape & safety wire.:)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just got home 20 minutes ago and a day later than planned due to new medical issues. I did finally get my MRI results back. No surgery required. I sprained MCL, knee muscles, ligaments, have Edema and fluid plus internal contusions. Just need a few weeks of PT.
However, on the third day of travel I pulled into Missoula, MT. With sharpe chest pain and pain in left shoulder. Thinking these were signs of angina which can lead to stroke or heart attack, I headed to ER. EKG was fine as were all other vitals. ER doc thought I might have some clots causing pain so ordered CAT scan. Scan showed medium mass of clots in left lung. Got admitted and put on 5 mg of oxy and Lovenox, a blood thinner. Prior to being medicated I was in extreme and debilitating pain. Spent the night being monitored and next morning they changed up meds and was discharged that afternoon when oldest son and wife showed up to get me, 5th wheel and truck home. Looks like I’ll be on blood thinner for 4 months and pain should subside in 3 to 4 weeks as clots are absorbed.
Even though I only got to ride 5 days still had a blast. Thanks for the good times.
Oh, wow. Missoula's my adopted home...lived here eight years, now.

The city is a great place in many ways, but one thing that stands out, is medical excellence. With a large retired population (mostly Federal government employees) and numerous employers with elaborate health-insurance programs (Washington Companies/Rail LInk; Federal; State; and university staff) they've got much more and greater resources that way than you'd expect.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just got home 20 minutes ago and a day later than planned due to new medical issues. I did finally get my MRI results back. No surgery required. I sprained MCL, knee muscles, ligaments, have Edema and fluid plus internal contusions. Just need a few weeks of PT.
However, on the third day of travel I pulled into Missoula, MT. With sharpe chest pain and pain in left shoulder. Thinking these were signs of angina which can lead to stroke or heart attack, I headed to ER. EKG was fine as were all other vitals. ER doc thought I might have some clots causing pain so ordered CAT scan. Scan showed medium mass of clots in left lung. Got admitted and put on 5 mg of oxy and Lovenox, a blood thinner. Prior to being medicated I was in extreme and debilitating pain. Spent the night being monitored and next morning they changed up meds and was discharged that afternoon when oldest son and wife showed up to get me, 5th wheel and truck home. Looks like I’ll be on blood thinner for 4 months and pain should subside in 3 to 4 weeks as clots are absorbed.
Even though I only got to ride 5 days still had a blast. Thanks for the good times.
Appleguy,
So sorry to hear that & hope your healing is speedy & not painful. Enjoyed great rides again with you & thanks for the mule tape. Get well!

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
Drones are sort of like 2-stroke motorcycles, I can understand why both are banned from National Parks.
When they are yours you embrace and enjoy them. When not yours they are just annoying.
When out enjoying the woods I would curse a snarling 2-smoke off in the distance; yet with my own once the helmet is on and the revs and excitement build I wouldn't hear a thing. Hypocrite, right?
Yep, I'll certainly watch and enjoy the drone footage from White Rim Trail.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Modern camera/video drones are almost error-proof. They go where you want with little skill. Left untended, they will hover motionless even in gusty wind until the battery is low, at which point they will fly to the takeoff home point and land on their own. If an obstacle blocks the path home, they will stop and either land (low-end) or skirt the obstacle and continue home.

The only barrier to putting a drone up is a bit of money. Left unchecked, every other family at the overlook will be buzzing around capturing selfies with buttons to upload the latest shots to Youtube and Facebook. And they won't be shots of a canyon or arch, but of "ME at some canyon", or "ME at another arch". I should know, I've been that guy...

And now for something completely different:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Is a street legal 2 stroke banned from the National Parks?
I hope not as I ride mine in the national parks.
But mine sounds more like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,056 ·
Let's be honest, most of the Gerbils working as "Park Rangers" in a NP wouldn't know a 2 stroke from an 8 stroke or a Ram from a Goat....

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
Pardon me, figured by and large the majority of the audience here would know the comment about loud annoying 2-stroke motorcycles would envision a loud annoying 2-stroke off-road motorcycle. Those non-licensed ORVs, like drones, are banned from operation in the National Parks I am aware of. We see these restrictions posted in Moab's Canyonlands and Arches N.P.
Readers would have to check on their own as to whether other National Parks consider plated 2-stroke motorcycles as being permissible or not within their parks.

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Super Moderator
15,574 Posts
Looks like we were a week late to meet most of you guys. We did get to ride with Wormspur and we rode the white rim. It was great. Our first time to Moab. We just got home. 4486 miles round trip and I did over 500 on the tdub. I hope to make it back some day. View attachment 224950 View attachment 224951 View attachment 224952 View attachment 224953
I feel bad I couldn't stay the entire time in Moab to ride with ya'll. At least you got to ride with Wormspur who came a long way as well. Looking at your pictures, you no doubt will have a ton of good riding memories. If you have more photos (and stories) don't hesitate to post them. I for one would love to see them!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet.
When we were at Dalton Wells we were informed by a Ranger that Willow Springs and Dalton Wells was being changed over to a State Park camping area. There will be a new entrance, 1/2 between the 2 current roads, which will be closed off, and an entrance info centre created. Full hook-up camping will be provided @ $40/ night and primitive camping @ $15/ night which will allow you access to water and a Sani station.
Klondike bluffs may be the choice for free dispersed camping

1041 - 1060 of 1099 Posts