TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Moab 2022 March or October?

161 - 180 of 225 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,983 Posts
If I remember correctly, Willow Springs Road was where the group gathered in Spring of 2019, right? Seemed like a perfect group area. We plan on being there in our skoolie.

Thanks for the video. That was my favorite ride of the week, especially the last third when we broke off from the main group and did that extra loop. Do you know the name of the extra loop that we rode? I would love to do it again next Spring.
Hey mountain yawp, here is the extra lap video of Poison Spider we did. You're not shown but you'll remember the trail I hope.

I'd do the Trifecta of trails again. Fun times!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Aww, that's the stuff.
Thanks for posting the video. Funny, I remembered that first drop off into the big puddle as being much steeper. It was steep enough in real life that it caused the rear straps of my tail back to rip and the pack flipped forward against my back. Likely more due to carrying too much heavy stuff back there.
Count me in for riding that one with you next Spring.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Who is riding between us?
Love poison spider except for the section down to the road.

·
Super Moderator
14,983 Posts
Who is riding between us?
Love poison spider except for the section down to the road.
I think his real name is Mike and his forum name is Commandog I think. He also rode in San Rafael the year before.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I think his real name is Mike and his forum name is Commandog I think. He also rode in San Rafael the year before.
Ok, I know Mike, just didn’t recognize him in this video. I took him on a tour around Quartzsite and he was in the group that chased me around Moab as they wanted a more spirited romp. I take it this was the time I lent Jeff my DT after the rear brake went on his Sherpa and I rode the WR?

·
Super Moderator
14,983 Posts
Ok, I know Mike, just didn’t recognize him in this video. I took him on a tour around Quartzsite and he was in the group that chased me around Moab as they wanted a more spirited romp. I take it this was the time I lent Jeff my DT after the rear brake went on his Sherpa and I rode the WR?
Jeff "discovered" his rear brake issue on this ride. You were on the DT and you and Jeff did Rusty Nail. ...and I tried...thinking I was still on Gold Bar Rim...not! haha

·
Registered
2005 TDub
35 Posts
I am interested in dispersed camping in the area but I looked up camp sites at Archview RV Resort & Campground for the last week of March,
I did see that here that Willow Springs Trail camping might close in 2022, but I don't have any other info.
Here is a map of other disperse camping in the area.
I'm sure with all the experience here we will be set.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I am interested in dispersed camping in the area but I looked up camp sites at Archview RV Resort & Campground for the last week of March,
I did see that here that Willow Springs Trail camping might close in 2022, but I don't have any other info.
Here is a map of other disperse camping in the area.
I'm sure with all the experience here we will be set.
That would be bad news if the dispersed camping in that area were closed. I've heard that with Covid a lot of inexperienced people started camping and unethically leaving huge messes behind, thus leading to closures. Let's hope that doesn't happen at willow Springs.

·
Registered
22,171 Posts
Another reason to make it to any of the proposed visits . While there are many other superior camp sites that offer beauty and seclusion none that I know offer a convenient group camp environment. Adjacent Archview private facility provides a very close source of gas, showers, minor provisions as well as accommodations for those wanting a cabin or hook-ups. Yet it is close enough to not feel left out.

Here is map I think R1ck linked:
Ecoregion Map World Atlas Line

There was a pre-TW time when I would hike into some dramatic spots and do a little minimalistic leave-no-trace overnighting .
Sky Cloud Plant Plant community Ecoregion

Reactions: R1ck and Allanb

·
Super Moderator
14,983 Posts
We were camped there last weekend. Down on the end before the wash on the right against the rocks. Buddy counted well over 100 rigs between our camp and the pavement. All paid campgrounds were full. It's not 2015 in Moab anymore
If you're down in the Moab area again, check out the area around the hill on Dalton Well road. Someone mentioned this last year and we sluffed it off. This is the road that turns left (coming from I-70) at the old WWII Japanese Internment work camp about a mile or so before Willow Springs. When we were there last spring I saw a bunch of rigs camped over there. Used to not be any over there but maybe because of the Willow Springs popularity and now possible closing Dalton Wells may be an alternative. Not scenic but we go there for riding not for the camping! People need to go back to work to free up camping space for the rest us! :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think I suggested Dalton Wells last year and after the zoo experience at Willow Springs, I have no intention of going back to Willow Springs. After Admiral and his sons left, it got really bad with generators running 24/7, kids riding bikes through camp and constant traffic. Dalton Wells offers a lot more wide open areas with a whole lot less people and the resulting chaos.

·
Registered
22,171 Posts
Tales of increased crowding are tempering my enthusiasm. Don't like being immersed in the herd like the guy below who can't seem to find his dog.:)
Brown Wood Bedrock Brick Terrain

Meeting you folks & riding some of the challenging trails with company for safeties sake justifies some sacrifices, but only so much.
I'm ready to forgo the convenience of Willow Springs if it is significantly more crowded than in previous years. Maybe Dalton Wells is a good suggestion.
I go to Moab for more than group riding for part of each day.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Fred Sez:

Tales of increased crowding are tempering my enthusiasm. Don't like being immersed in the herd like the guy below who can't seem to find his dog.:)

Stay the Hell out of Florida then Fred...it gets worse, population, pollution, and traffic, with each visit...:confused:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I am planning on coming the last week of March. I plan to bring my 2 sons. 2 TWs and a DRZ. I have never been to Moab and we are excited. Now we just need to work on the details, I am not sure what day we will arrive.
Hopefully the DRZ is geared down or you may find some of the climbs and ledges (steps) challenging. Also a good knobby rear tire will help in the sand. The weight of the bike will provide a bit more of a work out.

161 - 180 of 225 Posts